|Reception:||Cable , satellite , DVB-T IPTV|
|Seat:||Cologne , Germany|
576i ( SDTV )
1080i ( HDTV ) (n-tv HD)
|Executive Director:||Tanit Koch|
|Start of broadcast:||November 30, 1992|
|Legal form:||Private law|
|Program type:||Sector program (news)|
|Market share:||1.1% (2017)|
|List of TV channels|
n-tv is a television news channel operated by n-tv Nachrichtenfernsehen GmbH and is based in Cologne . Since 2006, the majority of its shares have belonged to Mediengruppe RTL Deutschland . On November 30, 1992, n-tv started in Berlin , in the same year with the participation of CNN . It is considered the first German news broadcaster.
On November 30, 1992, n-tv began broadcasting in an old building on Taubenstrasse in Berlin. Although today's program is partly similar to the older Eureka TV , n-tv is considered to be the first German news broadcaster, since in the early days of the station, daily news took up a larger amount of time than today and only later did the focus shift more to documentary programs. The first managing director of n-tv was Karl-Ulrich Kuhlo , the founder of the company; the first editor-in-chief was the long-time ARD correspondent Peter Staisch until September 1994 . In December 1992, the US news channel CNN joined n-tv. The Atlanta broadcaster initially held 27.5 percent of n-tv, later 50 percent. This made it possible for the station to broadcast its programs via the Astra 1B satellite just a few days after it started broadcasting , as it was able to use a satellite frequency originally assigned to CNN, which CNN had originally rented for its own Germany project.
On February 10, 1997, Helmut Brandstätter became the new managing director and program editor-in-chief of n-tv. In 1999 Karl-Ulrich Kuhlo moved to the head of the supervisory board. Ken Jautz became the new managing director. The website n-tv.de was launched in May and today it has up to 110 million page views per month.
On August 13, 2002, the RTL Group took over 50 percent of the shares in n-tv. Since then, the station has also been marketed by IP Deutschland . Up to this time, GWP media-marketing Verlagsgruppe Handelsblatt GmbH, which belongs to the Holtzbrinck Group, took over the marketing of the advertising times.
Karl-Ulrich Kuhlo sold his 0.75 percent stake in 2003 and handed over his position as chairman of the supervisory board to Ken Jautz ( CNN ). Johannes Züll took over the management of n-tv in March. Two months later, the station starts with a new program scheme and design.
In 2004 the station moved with most of the editorial staff to Cologne-Ossendorf . A new digital broadcasting center was put into operation for n-tv in the VOX building . The politics and talk editorial team stayed in the capital. The station's official headquarters are in Cologne.
In 2006, the RTL Group took over the shares of the previous partner CNN. After a warning from the Federal Cartel Office on February 6, 2006, the takeover was finally approved on April 12, 2006. The authority recognized that the takeover was a “restructuring merger”.
Hans Demmel has been his successor in the role of managing director since September 2007 .
On October 1, 2013, n-tv began broadcasting in HD on Telekom Entertain .
Since April 1, 2014, the HD branch has also been available via satellite via HD + . to recieve.
On September 1, 2017, n-tv redesigned the brand identity and also published a new logo. The previous claim “ The news channel” has been replaced by the new “ We'll stay tuned” claim . For the first time, the dividing line between n and tv has been dispensed with in the logo. The news channel will continue to be communicated as n-tv.
Management and editor-in-chief
- Peter Staisch (1992–1995)
- Helmut Brandstätter (1997-2001)
- Markus Föderl (2001-2007)
- Volker Wasmuth (2007-2013)
The three main program pillars of n-tv are news, business and talk. According to its own presentation, there is news on n-tv from Monday to Friday every full hour, in the morning every half hour and in the morning between 7 and 9 a.m. every 15 minutes. On the weekend, the n-tv news keeps viewers up to date on important events every hour on the hour. After 8 p.m. n-tv broadcasts 15 minutes of news, with the focus of this program on economics.
The transmitter has a high proportion live and uses the use of breaking news ( breaking news ) . Documentation, knowledge and report magazines, sports programs and lifestyle magazines are also part of the program. Current reports from the areas of news, sports, weather, economic and stock market information are displayed at the bottom of the screen in the treadmill.
The news channel offers its content on numerous platforms. In addition to the online portal n-tv.de, n-tv Teletext also offers information from the areas of news, business and the stock market. The news, individual business formats and the weather are also available as podcasts.
As a private television broadcaster, n-tv is financed by advertising.
Basically, n-tv shows news every hour on the hour, in the morning between 6 a.m. and 12 noon also every half hour. With the redesign at the end of 2008, the names of the previous formats Der Morgen (7 a.m. to 12 p.m.), The Noon (12 noon to 3 p.m.), The Day (6 p.m.), The Evening (9 p.m.) and The Night (11 p.m.) were dropped . Since then, the news at 9 a.m., 1 p.m., 6 p.m. and 11 p.m. has been distinguished from the rest by a special opening and has the time in the title (6 p.m. news) . These four programs are supposed to offer a particularly comprehensive overview of the current news as flagship products, while the others are partly "in flux" due to the work flow of a news broadcaster.
- Tele exchange
- n-tv guide series
- n-tv certificates
- Startup News
Talk at n-tv
- So! Muncu! with Serdar Somuncu
- Klamroth's counterattack
- Now Knippertz!
Magazines and reports on n-tv
- n-tv international report (moderation: Nadja Kriewald)
- n-tv Deluxe (Moderation: Jennifer Knäble )
- PS - Das Automagazin (Moderation: Verena Wriedt )
- n-tv sport
- n-tv knowledge (moderation: Jule Gölsdorf )
- n-tv reports
- National Geographic
- Spiegel TV magazine
- Startup magazine
According to the HBS media and brand study 2012, n-tv is the leading TV broadcaster viewed for professional reasons among financial service providers and institutional investors.
The marketing of n-tv is carried out by IP Deutschland .
The program from n-tv can be received as follows:
- DVB-T2 HD (digital aerial television )
- DVB-C (digital cable network )
- DVB-S (digital satellite television Astra , 19.2 ° East, 12.188 MHz horizontal, symbol rate: 27.500 MBd)
- Livestream (only in Germany and without sports)
n-tv.de is the internet presence of the Cologne news channel. The site has been online since May 1999. The n-tv live stream has been available in Germany since August 2010 . In 2001 the site received the Grimme Online Award . With a range of up to 6,640,000 unique users to 45.3 million visits page views a month is n-tv.de according to Spiegel Online , the largest German news portal.
Most of the articles are written on the basis of material from the news agencies dpa , AFP , Reuters and sid by an editorial team that also looks after n-tv teletext . In addition to politics, sport and society, one focus of the reporting is on business news. This includes an extensive stock exchange portal and the teleboerse.de website.
With up to 89.5 million visits, the n-tv apps and the n-tv mobile portal are among the most popular smartphone applications for news and business topics. With its stationary and mobile offerings, the news channel has a total digital reach of up to 9.79 million unique users.
Until the end of 2003, the content was created by n-tv's Neue Medien editorial team. When the station moved from Berlin to Cologne, the online editorial team was outsourced and transferred to the independent Nachrichtenmanufaktur GmbH based in Berlin.
The complete archive of n-tv.de can be used free of charge.
In the past, the fitness and wellness magazine “Gesund & Schön” has been criticized because some saw the show as being too positive and uncritical about the topic of cosmetic surgery.
In 2005 the station was criticized by the Evangelical Press Service together with 3sat for broadcasting reports on World Vision projects or the Christoffel Blindenmission project for which the aid organizations had paid for in advance. The German Council for Public Relations did not find any improper conduct during this process.
According to a study by the Cologne Institute for Empirical Media Research, the station gave the news only 34.7% (1997: 63.3%) of the airtime in 2007. Magazines account for 19% (1997: 7.4%), documentaries, reports and other reports take up 24.8% (6.1%) of the airtime. The policy share fell from 47% in 1997 to 28% in 2007. For the study data, a week in 1997 was compared with a week in 2007. In the years that followed, the station continuously expanded the share of news and business in the overall program, so that in January 2012 it reached a total of 49 percent.
The corner logo has been in shades of red since it started broadcasting. An exception to this is July 14, 2014 , when the logo was kept in the colors of the German flag , as recognition of the German national soccer team's 4th world championship title at the 2014 World Cup . From midnight, a third of the logo was black, red and yellow for 24 hours. On September 1, 2017, n-tv redesigned the brand identity and also published a new logo. The previous claim “ The news channel” has been replaced by the new “ We'll stay tuned” claim . For the first time, the dividing line between n and tv has been dispensed with in the logo. The news channel will continue to be communicated as n-tv.
- Udo Michael Krüger: program profiles from n-tv and N24. In: Media Perspektiven . No. 1/2008. Frankfurt am Main 2008, , pp. 2-14 ( PDF ).
- Entry in the KEK database ( Memento from February 22, 2014 in the Internet Archive )
- audience. KEK-online.de , 2017, accessed on February 13, 2018 .
- TV broadcast. RTL Group , accessed on April 10, 2017 .
- Rich and famous . In: Der Spiegel . No. 52 , December 21, 1992 ( online [accessed April 10, 2017]).
- Always there . In: Der Spiegel . No. 42 , October 12, 1992 ( online [accessed April 10, 2017]).
- Thorsten Neuhetzki: Telekom switches on further HD channels with Entertain. In: teltarif.de. 17th September 2013.
- ProSieben Maxx, RTL Nitro and n-tv start in HD via Astra. In: Digitalfernsehen.de. February 7, 2014.
- Alexander Krei: "We stay tuned": n-tv with a new logo and claim. In: DWDL.de. August 8, 2017. Retrieved August 9, 2017.
- n-tv starts the season / news in the afternoon with a new brand identity and brand claim. In: Corporate communication of the media group RTL Germany. August 8, 2017. Retrieved August 9, 2017.
- News. In: n-tv.de. March 8, 2005, accessed April 10, 2017 .
- Alexander Krei: Longtime n-tv journalist Manfred Bleskin is dead. In: DWDL.de . January 22, 2014, accessed April 10, 2017 .
- 2011 n-tv achieved the best market share since it was founded on December 29, 2011
- HBS Media Study 2012. (No longer available online.) Formerly in the original ; Retrieved April 10, 2017 . ( Page no longer available , search in web archives )
- Online usage data January 2012. (No longer available online.) IVW , archived from the original on August 28, 2016 ; Retrieved April 10, 2017 . Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- "Gesund & Schön" from n-tv and cosmetic surgery. Zapp , archived from the original on September 27, 2008 ; Retrieved April 10, 2017 .
- https://web.archive.org/web/20050404122311/http://www.sonntagsblatt-bayern.de/news/aktuell/2005_12_09_01.htm in Evangelisches Sonntagsblatt of March 20, 2005
- DRPR-Spruch 2006/4: Aid Organization World Vision and n-tv ( Memento from May 18, 2013 in the Internet Archive )
- Development and positioning of the two private news channels in the German television market. (No longer available online.) In: MP 1/2008. Pp. 2-14 , archived from the original on August 4, 2012 ; Retrieved April 10, 2017 .
- n-tv impresses with its clear positioning. January 17, 2012, archived from the original on June 20, 2012 ; Retrieved April 10, 2017 .