Osvaldo Euclides de Sousa Aranha (born December 15, 1894 in Alegrete , Rio Grande do Sul , † January 27, 1960 in Rio de Janeiro ) was a Brazilian politician and diplomat . He was ambassador to the USA from 1934 to 1937 and then Foreign Minister of Brazil from 1937 to 1945.
Osvaldo Euclides de Sousa Aranha was the son of Luiza de Freitas Valle Aranha. and Euclides Egydio de Souza Aranha (* 1864, † 1929), brother of Olavo Egídio de Souza Aranha (born October 1, 1862 in Campinas; † March 6, 1928). From November 16, 1931 to July 24, 1934 he was Minister of Finance. Through his negotiating skills, the USA granted the Latin American state loans worth $ 70 million in 1939. Despite his mediation efforts, he was unable to prevent the war between Ecuador and Peru , which began on July 5, 1941.
Aranha was chairman of the 1st special session of the UN General Assembly and its president during the 2nd session. He was a supporter of Pan-Americanism and supported the establishment of the State of Israel .
- 1948: Honorary membership of the American Society for International Law
- 1954: Grand Cross of the Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany
- Luis Edmondo Moraes: Aranha, Osvaldo Euclydes de Souza , in: Handbuch des Antisemitismus , Volume 2/1, 2009, p. 31
- Newspaper article about Oswaldo Aranha in the press kit of the 20th century of the ZBW - Leibniz Information Center for Economics .
- Jean-Pierre Blancpain, Les juifs allemands et l'antisémitisme en Amérique du Nord: 1930–1950, p. 111
- Who's Who in Latin America , Brazil, p. 16
- Sylvia Ficher, Os arquitetos da Poli: ensino e profissão em São Paulo , p. 141
|José Maria Whitaker||
Minister of Finance
November 16, 1931 to July 24, 1934
|Artur de Sousa Costa|
|Rinaldo de Lima e Silva||
Ambassador to the United States
October 2, 1934 to October 11, 1937
|Hildebrando Pompeu Pinto Accioly|
|Mario de Pimentel Brandão||
March 15, 1938 to August 23, 1944
|Ciro de Freitas Vale|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Sousa Aranha, Osvaldo Euclides de|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Brazilian politician and diplomat|
|DATE OF BIRTH||December 15, 1894|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Alegrete , Rio Grande do Sul|
|DATE OF DEATH||January 27, 1960|
|Place of death||Rio de Janeiro|