Thomas Dürr's grandfather Julius was a haulier and operator of a gas station in Ditzingen , which his parents Dieter (1938–2011) and Elisabeth took over from their grandfather in 1968. He attended elementary school in Ditzingen and Gerlingen . After completing secondary school , Dürr trained as a hairdresser . When he occasionally worked as a janitor, he gave himself the stage name caretaker Thomas D .
He is married, has a daughter (* 2003) and a son. The family lives with other musicians in the MARS (“Moderne Anstalt Rigoroser Spakker”), a rural commune near Daun in the Eifel , where “a peaceful, spiritually oriented, artistically spontaneous and vegetarian healthy lifestyle” is to be lived. The MARS residents run their own music label Haus Erika Productions there .
Thomas D is a member of the successful German hip-hop and rap band Die Fantastischen Vier . He was also able to record successes as a solo artist under the artist name Thomas D with his albums Solo (1997) and Lessons in Humility (2001). His best-known pieces include tail wind , hairdresser , love letter and solo (with Nina Hagen ) as well as the piece Wish from the film Lola rennt, sung together with Franka Potente . His solo publications are known for profound texts with philosophical content. So he also tried a rap from several poems by Schiller and Goethe. In addition to the Fantastischen Vier, Thomas D was also the singer and lyricist of the band Son Goku , which entered the charts in 2002 with the song Alle für Jeden from the album Crashkurs .
In the spring of 2005, Thomas D became a mentor of the rap project Young Poets and Thinkers . On 12 September 2008, he released his third solo album , marked D . As the first single of the new album, he released Get On Board in August . The second single Poisoned in Sleep , which was used in the credits of the movie The day the earth stood still , was released on December 5, 2008. Around Christmas 2004, Thomas D was with his family in the Thai holiday region of Khao Lak , as himself the devastating seaquake in the Indian Ocean and triggered a tsunami . "We were washed four and a half kilometers inland and survived, that's a miracle," said Thomas D four years after the disaster. He and his family survived the wave virtually unharmed. That he almost fell victim to the tsunami, he made public in 2008, also in connection with the album Kennzeichen D , on which the song To all bereaved can be found.
In December 2008, Thomas D appeared alongside Smudo as an advertising partner for World of Warcraft . In summer 2010 he was looking for singers for his new song on behalf of Deutsche Telekom . In mid-November this was published under the title 7 Seconds . In 2011, Thomas D was jury president of the program Unser Star für Baku , a casting show for the selection of the German participant for the Eurovision Song Contest 2012 .
Social and ecological commitment
Thomas D is a vegetarian and has been a vegan since 2013 . He supports the animal rights organization PETA , but received criticism when in 2003 he advocated their controversial “ Holocaust comparison ”. In 2008, together with the animal rights artist and illustrator Roland Straller, he developed the concept for an "Avenging Animals Collection" called Ich bin da - the VIP Collection .
Thomas D is also committed to climate and environmental protection. At the Protestant Kirchentag 2009 in Bremen he gave a concert for Bread for the World on the subject of “For justice and against climate change ”. His song “Prayer to the Planet” also deals with this topic.
On September 17, 2015, Thomas D, together with Til Schweiger , Sigmar Gabriel , Jogi Löw and other celebrities, announced the establishment of the Til Schweiger Foundation , in which he and others want to get involved in the interests of refugee children and other socially disadvantaged children and young people . According to its own statement, Dürr has already contributed 100,000 euros. The first project is to support an initial reception facility in Osnabrück .
- 1998: MTV Europe Music Awards MTV Select - Central with Franka Potente for I wish
- 2005: Echo (with the Fantastischen Vier)
- 2011: Green Lifestyle Award
- 2013: Order of Merit Baden-Württemberg
- 2016: GreenTec Award Music
- 1997: Solo
- 2001: Lessons in Humility
- 2008: license plate D
- 2011: Lessons in Humility 11.0 - Reflector Falke
- 2013: The rise and fall of Tommy Blank
- 1997: tailwind
- 1998: Solo (with Nina Hagen )
- 1998: Wish (Come to me) (with Franka Potente )
- 1998: Hairdresser
- 2000: love letter
- 2001: Life separates us
- 2001: Prayer to the Planet
- 2005: Chief Seattle's speech
- 2008: Get on Board
- 2008: Poisoned while sleeping
- 2010: Million Voices (7 Seconds)
- 2011: Prayer to Planet 11.0
- 2013: Sirens (with Exclusive )
- 2014: sons of bitches
- 1994: Wolpodzilla - Wolpodzilla Soundtrack - THC
- 1995: Aleksey - Aleksey - Thomas D & Aleksey are funky
- 1995: Record Pope Jöak - Everything will be fine - Are you riding?
- 1995: Megalomaniax - Hardcoriental - Raw Fest
- 1997: The Doctors - They Pick Me Up (SONG) - Solo
- 1998: Bootsy Collins - Fresh outta 'P' University - Home of Da Freaks
- 1998: Matalex - Proud - Hasta La Vista
- 1998: Such a surge - something special - life
- 1998: Franka Potente - Lola Rennt Soundtrack - Wish (Come to me)
- 2000: Plattenpapzt - Full House - Yes, Yes - is clear
- 2000: Knorkator - Come back here - Maxi-CD - Come back here (Haus Erika Rimix)
- 2002: Klaus Kinski Tribute Sampler - The Kinski Files - Wanted is Jesus Christ
- 2002: Reinhard Mey Tribute Sampler - Homage to Reinhard Mey - Mercy
- 2003: In Extremo - Seven - Ave Maria
- 2003: Knorkator - Der Ultimative Mann - Maxi-CD - Der Ultimative Mann (Haus Erika Productions Remix)
- 2003: André Heller - Ruf und Echo - What the poet Luis Rosalez told me roughly; Occident; The real adventures are in the head
- 2004: Manfred Mann - 2006 - Demons and Dragons; Independent woman
- 2005: Schiller - Day and Night - The Night ... You are not alone
- 2005: The World Quintet - Selma - wrapped in longing - Stefan Zweig
- 2006: BAP - three times ten years - long ago
- 2006: Stephan Remmler - 1, 2, 3, 4… - Yesterday evening (you and me) (Haus Erika Mix)
- 2015: von Brücken - Far from done - It's good, man
- 2017: Seven - 4Colors - time
- 1998: Curiosity & The Cat
- 1998: Thomas D - 500 days solo
- 2003: solo album
- 2005: Madagascar (German dubbing voice of Kowalski)
- 2008: Madagascar 2 (Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa , German dubbing voice by Kowalski)
- 2012: Madagascar 3: Escape through Europe (Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted , German dubbing voice by Kowalski)
- since 2013: Knowledge before eight (subject area nature)
- 2014: The Penguins of Madagascar ( Penguins of Madagascar , German dubbing voice.)
- 2019: Who are 4 (documentary)
Radio plays / books
- 2004: Thomas D vs. Bela B. - Faust vs. Mephisto
- 2005: Chief Seattle's speech
- Malte Conradi: The good person from the farm. Thomas D, who became a millionaire with the Fantastischen Vier, now lives as a vegetarian on an eco-country estate - from here the rapper wants to save the world. In: Süddeutsche Zeitung, 21./22. April 2011, p. 9
- Works by and about Thomas D in the catalog of the German National Library
- Thomas D in the Internet Movie Database (English)
- Website of Thomas D
- Thomas D on MusicBrainz (English)
- Thomas D at laut.de
- Thomas D at Discogs (English)
- Thomas D's biography on his official website ( Memento of December 17, 2008 in the Internet Archive ), accessed on November 8, 2010.
- Thomas D.'s father died ( Memento from March 4, 2016 in the Internet Archive ), stuttgarter-nachrichten.de
- Ditzinger Anzeiger, January 5, 1968.
- A full car tank and a lot of personal service ( Memento from March 4, 2016 in the Internet Archive )
- What is Swabian about the Fantastischen Vier? . Stuttgarter Zeitung, April 25, 2017 (accessed October 26, 2018).
- Interview with Thomas D ( Memento from December 24, 2013 in the Internet Archive ), kribbelbunt.de
- Thomas D. has daughter , n-tv.de
- Our star for Baku: Thomas D becomes jury president , DWDL
- Fanta-Vier singer Thomas D lives vegan , Die Welt online, March 12, 2013, accessed on April 10, 2013.
- Thomas D and PETA eV ( Memento from August 18, 2010 in the Internet Archive ), accessed on July 18, 2010.
- Roland Straller website ( memento of September 3, 2014 in the Internet Archive ), accessed on August 27, 2014.
- Thomas D in conversation Let's create a harmonious field . In: FAZ , October 23, 2013. Retrieved May 11, 2014.
- Interview with Thomas D .: “I don't want to be a know-it-all” . In: Kölner Stadt-Anzeiger , July 2, 2013. Retrieved May 11, 2014.
- https://www.vip.de/vips/thomas-d-t2609.html found at vip.de, accessed on October 4, 2019
- Prayer to the Planet ( Memento from October 25, 2013 in the Internet Archive ). On: thomasd.net. Retrieved May 11, 2014.
- Til Schweiger presents a new foundation with celebrities. N24, September 17, 2015, accessed September 17, 2015 .
- Order of Merit for Thomas D and Regina Halmich. In: T-Online. April 20, 2013, accessed April 21, 2013 .
- Sources: DE AT CH .
- Awards for music sales: DE
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Dürr, Thomas (real name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German musician|
|DATE OF BIRTH||December 30, 1968|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Stuttgart|