Città della Pieve
|Città della Pieve|
|Coordinates||42 ° 57 ' N , 12 ° 0' E|
|height||508 m slm|
|Residents||7,689 (Dec. 31, 2019)|
|Population density||69 inhabitants / km²|
|Patron saint||Gervasius and Protasius|
|Website||Città della Pieve|
Città della Pieve
Città della Pieve is an Italian commune in the province of Perugia in the west of the Umbria region in central central Italy , with 7689 inhabitants (as of December 31, 2019).
The municipality is located about 508 m slm on a hill above the Chiana valley, about 20 km south of Lake Trasimeno . Città della Pieve is a member of Cittàslow , a movement founded in Italy in 1999 to slow down and improve the quality of life in cities and communities.
Its districts include Moiano, Po Bandino and Ponticelli.
The neighboring municipalities are Allerona ( TR ), Castiglione del Lago , Cetona ( SI ), Chiusi (SI), Fabro (TR), Monteleone d'Orvieto (TR), Paciano , Piegaro and San Casciano dei Bagni (SI).
Archaeological findings show that the area was settled in the Etruscan era. Today's community goes back to an early medieval settlement. After the death of Frederick II , the city of Perugia took control of Città della Pieve until Pope Clement VII incorporated the city of Città della Pieve into the Papal States in 1527 .
Until the unification to the Archdiocese of Perugia-Città della Pieve in 1986, the city was an independent bishopric.
Much of the medieval old town dates from the 13th and 14th centuries. Typical of the buildings is the use of bricks as a construction material, which reflects their importance as the center of brick production.
- The cathedral (Cattedrale dei Santi Gervasio e Protasio) with an altarpiece by Perugino ("La Madonna fra i santi protettori Gervasio e Protasio", The Madonna between Saints Gervasio and Protasio )
- Torre del Pubblico
- Palazzo della Corgna
The area south of Lake Trasimeno is known for the production of saffron . A total of 15 municipalities, including Città della Pieve, are growing the crocuses required for this.
sons and daughters of the town
- Perugino (around 1445 / 1448–1523; actually Pietro di Cristoforo Vannucci), painter of the Renaissance
- Carlo Maria Orlandi (1820–1895), Vicar General of the Pallottines
- Mario Draghi (* 1947), President of the ECB
- Colin Firth (born 1960), British actor
About the name: Pieve
- ↑ Statistiche demografiche ISTAT. Monthly population statistics of the Istituto Nazionale di Statistica , as of December 31 of 2019.
- ^ Saffron production and festivals , at cittadellapieve.org, accessed on August 9, 2017
- ^ Safran production zone , on cittadellapieve.org, accessed on August 9, 2017