Classification of the district in the Grand Duchy of Hesse
Together with the districts of Bensheim , Darmstadt , Dieburg , Erbach , Groß-Gerau , Heppenheim and Offenbach , the temporarily existing districts of Wimpfen , Lindenfels and Neustadt formed the province of Starkenburg , one of three provinces of the Grand Duchy of Hesse alongside Upper Hesse and Rheinhessen .
After the proclamation of the constitution of the Grand Duchy of Hesse on December 17, 1820, a comprehensive administrative reform followed on July 14, 1821. Instead of the district bailiffs, district councils were now established. These were the forerunners of the circles. In the area of today's Odenwaldkreis , the districts of Breuberg with their seat in Neustadt (from 1847) and Erbach with their seat in Erbach were founded.
With the law of July 31, 1848, the administrative units were enlarged one more time. The districts were now replaced by “government districts”, with the previous districts of Breuberg , Erbach and Wimpfen being combined to form the administrative district of Erbach . Just four years later, however, they returned to the division into districts, whereby the district of Neustadt was founded in addition to the district of Erbach , which included the district court district Höchst without the places Habitzheim , Nieder-Klingen and Ober-Klingen .
In 1852 the district had 18,000 inhabitants.
In the course of the district reform carried out in the Grand Duchy of Hesse on July 1, 1874, the Neustadt district was dissolved and divided into neighboring districts:
- The communities Frau-Nauses , Ober-Nauses , Schloß-Nauses and Wiebelsbach came to the Dieburg district.
- Most of the district with all the other communities came to the district of Erbach.
The following municipalities belonged to the Neustadt district:
- Ordinance on the division of the Grand Duchy into circles of May 12, 1852. In: Großherzoglich Hessisches Regierungsblatt No. 30 of May 20, 1852, pp. 224–228 (225).
- Philipp AF Walther: The Grand Duchy of Hesse by history, country, people, state and locality . 1854, p. 352 ( books.google.de ).
- Grand Ducal Hessian Government . No. 28 . Darmstadt June 12, 1874, p. 247 ( digital.staatsbibliothek-berlin.de ).