As product Queen (also: brand Queen ) is the representative of a product group, a brand called or region. The temporarily elected ambassador to promote sales or tourism is an instrument of marketing and public relations . The function of the product queen can also be described as a testimonial or advertising figure .
Product queens are usually initiated by the interest representation of a branch (category marketing ) or region. They are found predominantly in the United States and Europe . A large number of product queens have been created since the 2000s, especially in Germany . In addition to the title queen , the representatives are (rarely) also referred to as princesses (e.g. the German wine princess ), countesses or ambassadors . Agricultural products in particular are represented by product queens. Men hardly play a role as brand or product ambassadors.
Its presence in local media, in particular, increases the reputation and awareness of the product. The use of mostly young and likeable women results in a positive image transfer for the product. The use of mostly voluntary advertising media also relieves the marketing budget of the operating organizations. Product queens are increasingly used in marketing in Germany:
“ The intensive use of female product ambassadors by associations and companies shows that this marketing instrument has lost none of its topicality. "
“ Wine sovereignty is a modern marketing tool today. "
The first product queens were chosen in the United States. They have been representing agricultural producers there since the beginning of the 20th century. Most popular here are the representatives of the dairy industry ( Dairy Princesses ). In addition, in many regions there are Apple , Farm , Peanut , Potato , Pumpkin , Tobacco or Turkey queens . Other sovereigns are associated with regional events. For example, there has been a Rose Queen since 1933 on the occasion of the Tyler Rose Festival in Tyler (Texas) . The transition between product and beauty queen is particularly fluid when it comes to the election for the US festival queens. A specialty is the Cherry Blossom Court, which was initiated in California in 1968 . The five cherry blossom sovereignties chosen for the annual Cherry Blossom Festival represent US Americans of Japanese origin and are intended to strengthen the Japanese-American relationship. In the 1950s and 1960s - also in California - wine queens were chosen. Wine queens have been elected in Germany since 1931 and milk queens ( Bavarian milk queen ) since 1985 . Queens are also of greater importance in the area of beer production in southern Germany (e.g. the Bavarian beer queen , the Württemberg beer queen , the Rettenberg beer queen or the Hallertau and Haunstetter hop queens ).
There are also a large number of product queens in all German federal states. Products such as cider , apples , amber , bees , strawberries , fish , barley , cucumber , honey , hyacinth , pasta , potatoes , cheese , cherries , cabbage , herbs , chalk , crocuses , pumpkins , lamb , lavender , horseradish , flour , Must , cloves , nutcrackers , jacket potatoes , pearls , plums , porcelain , rhododendrons , rape , roses , salt , sunflowers , asparagus , soups , juniper , water , white sausages , wheat , sugar or sugar beets . Various queen titles are dedicated to the flowering or harvest time . Others apply regional characteristics, such as the Pfrontener mountain Wiesenkönigin that Elbaue Queen ( Elbe-Parey ), the Prenzlauer Swan Queen , the Korbstadthotel Queen ( Lichtenfels ) or various forest queens . After all, product queens also represent folk festivals such as the festival of lights ( Kummerower See ), the Gillamoos in Abensberg or the Nuremberg folk festival . Hessen alone has hundreds of product sovereignties.
In January 2003, the Arbeitsgemeinschaft Deutsche Königinnen e. V. founded in Witzenhausen . At the beginning of 2018, 150 product queens from 16 federal states and South Tyrol were members of this association. The working group organizes the parade of the product queens of Germany . This meeting took place in 2014 at the Green Week trade fair in Berlin.
Examples from Austria
Since 1955, the year of the State Treaty , the Lower Austrian Wine Queen has been elected at an event of the Lower Austrian Winegrowing Association , who is usually in office for two years and is replaced as the Austrian Wine Queen in the first year and by the Burgenland in the second year. A young woman with a connection to viticulture is typically chosen.
In Preding , south-west Styria, a pumpkin mayor has been appointed every year since 1976 at the pumpkin festival (end of August) on the market square from a group of men with a large bib around a table. The process goes back to an old legend. A pumpkin , an important agricultural product in the region for the production of pumpkin oil , is cut off from a suspension and falls into a pan with corn porridge in the middle of the table. A jury will choose whoever got the most splashes of porridge as the pumpkin mayor.
Various German politicians were product queens , including: Marita Bäuerlein ( Wine Queen ), Sylvia Benzinger (Wine Queen), Friedlinde Gurr-Hirsch (Wine Queen), Julia Klöckner (Wine Queen), Gerdi Staiblin ( Cherry Queen and Wine Princess), Marie-Elisabeth Steffen (Wine Queen), Julia Wegmann ( milk queen ) and Emmi Zeulner ( basket city queen ).
Ulrike Neradt ( German Wine Queen 1972/73) was a presenter of the SWR program " Fröhlicher Weinberg " from 1994 to 2007 . The Bavarian milk queen of 1995/96, Claudia Fenzel (née Reischl), was a participant in the second season of the series “Landfrauenküche” on Bavarian television .
In Norfolk , Virginia, azaleas queens ( Queen Azalea ) have been crowned annually at the Azalea Festival since 1954 . Close relatives of important politicians, scientists and officers from home and abroad are selected. In 1965 Luci Baines Johnson (daughter of US President Lyndon Baines Johnson ), 1969 Tricia Nixon (daughter of US President Richard Nixon ), 1970 Ulrike Ahlers (daughter of German politician Conrad Ahlers ), 1975 Valerie Anne Giscard d-Estaing ( Daughter of French President Valéry Giscard d'Estaing ), 1976 Suzan Elizabeth Ford (daughter of US President Gerald Ford ), 1977 Cecile Countess Lambsdorff (daughter of Otto Graf Lambsdorff ), 1997 Jennie Eisenhower (granddaughter of US President Dwight D. Eisenhower ) and in 1999 Susanne Scharping (daughter of the German politician Rudolf Scharping ) was elected Queen.
- Swantje Wallbraun, Produktköniginnen : Germany, a vegetable monarchy at Welt.de from November 29, 2007, accessed on February 20, 2014
- Over 170 majesties do the honors at agrarheute.com ( Deutscher Landwirtschaftsverlag ) on January 21, 2013, accessed on February 20, 2014
- Historic photographs (1940s to 1970s) of product queens of the US state of Virginia
- Green Week Special 2014 (day 4) , interview with the rapeseed queen of the island of Poel (Laura Rieck) and the Spreewald cucumber king couple on You Tube , accessed on March 2, 2014
- Judith Luig, Wurst, Gurken, Wein - These are Germany's queens on the website of the Berliner Morgenpost on January 28, 2014, accessed on March 22, 2014
- Swantje Wallbraun, Germany, a vegetable monarchy from November 29, 2007 at Welt Online
- For example, the rural women's associations in Baden-Württemberg use specially trained rural women as ambassadors for agricultural products from the region for the dialogue between producers and consumers, and thus advertise products from the region, according to Association website , accessed March 3, 2014
- From the Bratwurst King to the Wine Princess. Proplanta presents the product sovereignty of the state at Agrar-Presseportal.de of the company Proplanta from May 29, 2012, accessed on March 4, 2014
- Men are only rarely used to represent a product. In the few cases these are insignificant, sometimes amusing roles. Examples in Germany are the Thuringian Olitätenkönig ( Schmiedefeld ), the Möhrenkönig ( Heilbad Heiligenstadt ), the Dupferl-König ( Hemau ), the König von Flieden ( Flieden ) or the Kirschenmann in Groß Radisch
- Olan D. Forker, Commodity Advertising: The Economics and Measurement of Generic Programs , ed. Ronald W. Ward, Lexington Books, 1993, ISBN 9780029104057 , p. 73
- Without an indication of the source, the title has only low value for marketing in the Südwestpresse (online) on October 19, 2012, accessed on February 20, 2014
- German Wine Queen Julia Bertram in Württemberg on the website of the Weinbauverband Württemberg from December 18, 2012, accessed on March 4, 2014
- Election of the German Wine Queen in Neustadt. Wine queen Andrea was in the final at Ulmer.de , accessed on March 4, 2014
- Jayson L. Lusk, Jutta Roosen, Jason Shogren, The Oxford Handbook of the Economics of Food Consumption and Policy , Oxford Handbooks in Economics, Oxford University Press, 2013, ISBN 9780199681327 , p. 696
- Encyclopedia of Observances, Holidays and Celebrations from MobileReference , ISBN 978-1605011776 , MobileReference, 2007, accessed March 1, 2014 (in English)
- About the queen program ( Memento of the original from March 4, 2014 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. from the Northern California Cherry Blossom Queen Program website , accessed February 28, 2014 (in English)
- Tina Caputo, Wine Queens ( Memento of the original from October 15, 2008 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. , Winexmagazine.com, accessed February 28, 2014 (in English)
- Marco Schwarz, Regional Royals in Biebrich Castle. We are Hessens Highnesses at Bild.de from November 3, 2013, accessed on March 3, 2014
- Website of the association , accessed on March 15, 2018
- Regionality is royal ( Memento of the original from March 3, 2014 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link has been inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. from the Green Week website , accessed February 27, 2014
- The Pumpkin Mayor ( Memento of the original from September 23, 2017 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. ServusTV, accessed September 23, 2017.
- Pumpkin Festival austria-forum.org, 2011 + 2016, accessed September 23, 2017.
- The Wachau apricots are ripe July 8, 2014, accessed September 23, 2017.
- Bavarian Milk Queen wants to move into the state parliament ( Memento of the original from March 4, 2014 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. at SAT 1 Bayern on March 28, 2013, accessed on February 27, 2014
- Ex- "Korbstadtkönigin" inherits Guttenberg's constituency at Welt.de on January 25, 2013, accessed on February 27, 2014
- Former Bavarian milk queen now TV country woman with beef cattle on OpenPR.de on September 13, 2010, accessed on March 3, 2014
- Azalea Festival gets under way in The Free Lance-Star newspaper of April 29, 1970, accessed March 1, 2014 (in English)
- Norfolk Azalea Festival Queens ( Memento of the original from March 6, 2014 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. , Norfolk Public Library Listing , accessed March 1, 2014