The California State Route 111 in Rancho Mirage
|Location in California|
|State :||United States|
|County :||Riverside County|
|Time zone :||Pacific ( UTC − 8 / −7 )|
|Residents :||17,218 (as of 2010)|
|Population density :||271.9 inhabitants per km 2|
|Area :||64,326 km 2 (approx. 25 mi 2 ) of
which 63,318 km 2 (approx. 24 mi 2 ) is land
|Height :||83 m|
|Postal code :||92270|
|Area code :||+1 760|
|GNIS ID :||1661281|
|Mayor :||G. Dana Hobart|
Rancho Mirage is a city in Riverside County in the US state of California with 17,218 inhabitants (as of 2010). The urban area covers an area of 64.326 km². Rancho Mirage is a resort . The population can be over 20,000 during the season. Located between the cities of Cathedral City and Palm Desert , Rancho Mirage is one of nine cities in the Coachella Valley (Greater Palm Springs area ).
Rancho Mirage is located in central Riverside County in California in the USA . It is bordered to the west by the cities of Cathedral City and Palm Springs , to the east by Palm Desert, and to the northeast by the Thousand Palms community ; in the south and north, Rancho Mirage is partially bordered by unincorporated territory. California State Route 111 runs through the city itself , and Interstate 10 runs along the northern city limits.
Rancho Mirage has 17,218 inhabitants (as of 2010) and covers an area of 64.326 km², of which 63.318 km² are land. The water area is 1.008 km², for example the artificial lake, in the middle of which is an island with the ten-story "Desert Island Hotel-Golf Resort". The population density is 271.9 inhabitants per square kilometer and is comparatively low. The center of Rancho Mirage is at an altitude of 83 meters.
Rancho Mirage's climate is strongly influenced by the environment. The location between three high mountains in a valley sloping to the south leads to a unique, warm climate in every season; the winters are even considered to be the warmest in the western United States. Furthermore, the climate is arid . The average annual maximum temperature is 31 ° C , the lowest temperature 17 ° C . In summer, however, temperatures above 42 ° C are common, and in rare cases 49 ° C can be reached. Even in the summer nights, the low temperature is still at 28 ° C . The maximum values during the day are between 23 and 29 ° C in winter . The average annual rainfall is below 130 mm, the number of sunny days is over 348 per year.
|Rancho Mirage, California|
Average monthly temperatures for Rancho Mirage, California
The 2010 census found a population of 17,218. This means that the number of inhabitants has increased by more than 3500 since 2000, when the number of residents was around 13,600 ( 2000 census ). The majority of the city's whites live, namely over 80 percent. At around eleven percent, the number of Latinos is relatively low for the conditions in California. Other populations such as African Americans and Asians are a minority. The 2010 census also found that for every 100 women there were 97.7 men. The number of households was 8,829. Rancho Mirage is demographically characterized by a high median age , it is 62 years. The 65-year-old population alone makes up 44 percent of all Rancho Mirage residents.
Rancho Mirage was formed in 1973 through the merger of Mirage Cove and the five unincorporated areas of Desert, Magnesia, Palmas, Tamarisk and Thunderbird. At that time, 3,000 permanent residents lived in the newly founded city.
Although the first modern settlements already existed in the 1920s and 1930s, Rancho Mirage did not become famous until after World War II . Today the Villa Sunnylands is particularly well known, which many celebrities, including some US presidents , visited. The city also has twelve golf courses, the first of which opened in 1946. A tribe of the Cahuilla now operates the "Agua Caliente Casino Resort Spa" arcade .
Rancho Mirage is part of the 28th District in the California Senate , currently represented by Democrat Ted Lieu , and the 42nd District in the California State Assembly , represented by Republican Brian Nestande . Rancho Mirage is also a member of California's 36th Congressional District , which has a Cook Partisan Voting Index of R + 1 and is represented by Democrat Raul Ruiz .
At Rancho Mirage, the Betty Ford Center is located on the grounds of the Eisenhower Medical Center.
The Sunnylands property at Rancho Mirage has been visited by many celebrities over time, including Frank Sinatra , Bob Hope , Fred Astaire , Ginger Rogers , Elizabeth II, and Mary Martin . The US Presidents Richard Nixon , Ronald Reagan and Gerald Ford also spent their holidays here. Ford later purchased a house in Rancho Mirage and lived there until his death on December 26, 2006.
Today, Rancho Mirage is not only geared towards golf resorts and income from rentals, but has also established light industry and trading centers on Interstate 10 . There are also malls like "The River" here.
- Spiro Agnew (1918–1996), Vice President of the United States, and his wife Judy Agnew
- Desi Arnaz (1917–1986), actor, director and musician
- Barbara Boxer (* 1940), politician and member of the United States Senate
- Larry Ellison (* 1944), founder and president of the software company Oracle
- Phil Harris (1904–1995), actor, musician and entertainer
- Shelby Lynne (* 1968), musician
- Patrick Macnee (1922–2015), actor and radio play speaker
- Mary Martin (1913–1990), actress
- Harpo Marx (1888–1964), entertainer, pantomime and actor
- Zeppo Marx (1901–1979), actor and comedian
- Alan Morgan (1909–1984), sailor and Olympic champion
- Anne Rice (* 1941), writer
- Ginger Rogers (1911–1995), actress
- Jane Wyman (1917-2007), actress
- Official website of the city (English)
- Information on the history of Rancho Mirage on the city's website (English; PDF; 85 kB)
- Further information at City-Data.com (English)
- Council Members Official Website of Rancho Mirage (English)
- Information on Rancho Mirage at City-Data.com (English)
- United States Census 2010 ( Memento from February 20, 2011 in the Internet Archive )
- Around the Capitol, Senate District 28, District Map (English)
- Around the Capitol, Assembly District 42, District Map (English)
- Around the Capitol, Congressional District 36, District Map (English)