Walther Carl Rudolf Schreiber (born June 10, 1884 in Pustleben in the Nordhausen district , † June 30, 1958 in West Berlin ) was a German politician . First he was a member of the liberal German Democratic Party ( DDP ) and as such from 1925 to 1932 Prussian Minister of Commerce. From October 22, 1953 to January 11, 1955 , Schreiber was the governing mayor of Berlin for almost 15 months as a member of the CDU .
As the son of a manor owner , he attended high school in Weimar . He studied law and political science in Munich , Halle , Berlin and Grenoble and was awarded a Dr. jur. PhD. From 1911 to 1925 he worked as a lawyer and notary in Halle (Saale) . In the First World War volunteer officer, he was elected to the soldiers' council of the Supreme Army Command in November 1918 . As a member of the German Democratic Party , he was a member of the Prussian state parliament from 1919 .
After the Second World War , Schreiber became a Christian Democrat and co-founder of the CDU on June 26, 1945 in Berlin and the Soviet Zone . In the 1950 election to the Berlin House of Representatives , he was the top candidate of his party. While the SPD only missed the absolute majority by two seats with 44.7%, the CDU received 24.6% of the votes and the FDP 23.0%.
Ernst Reuter , the governing mayor to date, endeavored to continue the previous three-party coalition made up of the SPD, CDU and FDP, which was approved by the CDU, but did not prevent Schreiber from running for election to the House of Representatives alongside Reuter . After both had received 62 votes each, Schreiber renounced his candidacy in favor of Reuters. After Reuter's death on September 29, 1953, the coalition broke up, the SPD went into the opposition and Schreiber became mayor . In the 1954 election , the CDU increased to 30.4% of the vote, but the FDP dropped to 12.8% of the vote, so that the 44.6% that the SPD received was enough to win an absolute majority in the mandate. The SPD entered into a coalition with the CDU and Otto Suhr (SPD) became the new governing mayor .
- Werner Breunig, Siegfried Heimann , Andreas Herbst : Biographical Handbook of Berlin City Councilors and Members of Parliament 1946–1963 (= series of publications by the Berlin State Archives . Volume 14 ). Landesarchiv Berlin , Berlin 2011, ISBN 978-3-9803303-4-3 , p. 243 (331 pages).
- Felix Escher: New German Biography (NDB). Volume 23, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 2007, ISBN 978-3-428-11204-3 , p. 533 ( ). In:
- Helmut Müller-Enbergs : . In: Who was who in the GDR? 5th edition. Volume 2. Ch. Links, Berlin 2010, ISBN 978-3-86153-561-4 .
- Walther Schreiber , Internationales Biographisches Archiv 30/1958 of July 14, 1958, in the Munzinger Archive ( beginning of article freely accessible)
- Short biography of Walther Schreiber
- Newspaper article about Walther Schreiber in the 20th century press kit of the ZBW - Leibniz Information Center for Economics .
- Walther Schreiber in the Munzinger archive ( beginning of article freely accessible)
- Walther-Schreiber-Platz. In: Street name lexicon of the Luisenstädtischer Bildungsverein (near Kaupert )
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Schreiber, Walther Carl Rudolf (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German politician (CDU), MdA|
|DATE OF BIRTH||June 10, 1884|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Pustleben , Harz|
|DATE OF DEATH||June 30, 1958|
|Place of death||West Berlin|