|Province :||East Flanders|
|Coordinates :||50 ° 52 ′ N , 3 ° 49 ′ E|
|Area :||56.66 km²|
|Residents:||26,582 (Jan 1, 2019)|
|Population density:||469 inhabitants per km²|
|Mayor:||Jenne De Potter ( CD&V )|
Local government address :
Zottegem is a Belgian city in the Denderstreek in the Flanders region . It is located in the province of East Flanders and has a population of 26,582 (as of January 1, 2019). The municipality has a total of eleven sub-municipalities, Elene , Erwetegem , Godveerdegem , Grotenberge , Leeuwergem , Oombergen , Sint-Goriks-Oudenhove , Sint-Maria-Oudenhove , Strijpen , Velzeke-Ruddershove and Zottegem.
The Molenbeek runs through Grotenberge and Leeuwergem and the Molenbeek-Ter Erpenbeek runs through Godveerdegem, Erwetegem and Grotenberge.
Geraardsbergen is 11 kilometers south, Oudenaarde 14 km west, Aalst 16 km northeast, Ghent 19 km north-west and Brussels 48 km east.
In the north and northeast of Wetteren and Erpe-Mere there are motorway exits on the A10 / E 40 .
Zottegem has a regional train station at the intersection of the Kortrijk - Oudenaarde - Zottegem - Denderleeuw - Brussels and Geraardsbergen - Zottegem - Gent railway lines .
Castle of Count Egmond
Statue of Count Egmond , market square
Town hall and statue of Count Egmond , market square
Count Egmond's crypt , market square
sons and daughters of the town
- Lamoral of Egmond (1522–1568)
- Koen Barbé (* 1981), racing cyclist
- Jean Blaute (* 1952), guitarist
- Bart De Clercq (* 1986), racing cyclist
- Patricia De Martelaere (1957–2009), writer and philosophy professor
- Ayrton De Pauw (* 1998), cyclist
- Bert Scheirlinckx (* 1974), racing cyclist
- Staf Scheirlinckx (* 1979), racing cyclist
- Rudy Van Snick (* 1956), mountaineer
- Jeroen Van Herzeele (* 1965), jazz musician
- Official website of the city (Dutch)