Elbjazz is a two-day, international music festival in the Port of Hamburg and in Hamburg's HafenCity , which has been held on two days since 2010, mostly on the Whitsun weekend (the festival paused in 2016).
Venues and transfers
The stages of Elbjazz can be assigned to two festival centers: The Elbphilharmonie with the adjoining area in HafenCity and the Blohm + Voss shipyard . In the past festival years so u. a. Main church St. Katharinen , Hafenmuseum, MS Stubnitz , MS Bleichen , Louisiana Star , fish auction hall and the Mojo Club event locations at the Elbjazz Festival.
In cooperation with the Theater der Welt , concerts were held in the Thalia tent at Baakenhöft in 2017. Traditionally, students, graduates and lecturers from various departments of the Hamburg University of Music and Theater present themselves on the HfMT Young Talents stage on the Square of German Unity .
There are several ways to get back and forth between the Elbphilharmonie and Blohm + Voss. According to the organizer, the fastest way is on foot through the St. Pauli-Elbe tunnel . Alternatively, visitors can commute between the Elbphilharmonie and Blohm + Voss via the waterway by barge or by bus shuttle across the Elbe bridges .
Elbjazz was founded in 2010 by Tina Heine and Nina Sauer and carried out for the first time. At its premiere in 2010, the festival was attended by almost 10,000 guests; the Hamburger Abendblatt then announced: “The city has never had a festival like this, and it will not want to be without it from now on.” With an increase to 15,000 visitors in 2011, Elbjazz quickly developed into one of the largest jazz festivals in Germany. Due to problems with the launch, further transfer options were opened up, initially by the visitors themselves. Nevertheless, “the Elbe as a hurdle and waiting for transport” with the Elbe tunnel elevator or the shuttle service (buses and barges) between the stages means that visitors get to know each other and the transfer becomes an experience.
Like the Montreux Jazz Festival, the Elbjazz Festival is based on a “combination of culture and tourism”. In addition to public funding, the festival receives strong private sector support. The main sponsors and supporters include Audi , Hamburger Volksbank , Blohm + Voss, Jever , HafenCity and the Hamburg Cultural Foundation .
After the deficit had accumulated to one million euros by 2015 due to the lack of subsidies, the founder and manager of the festival Tina Heine stepped out in December 2015. Under the direction of Alexander Schulz ( Reeperbahn Festival ) and the remaining shareholders Karsten Jahnke and Folkert Koopmans ( FKP Scorpio ) and Nina Sauer, the festival took place again in 2017 after a one-year, structurally-related break. Elbjazz 2018 brought a record number of visitors. It took place with nine venues and around 50 concerts; 28,000 tickets have already been sold in advance.
- The artists of the Elbjazz Festival 2010 included musicians such as Till Brönner , Manu Katché , Eumir Deodato , Bugge Wesseltoft , Bobo Stenson , Nils Wülker , Wouter Hamel , Jazul, Supergid, Burnt Friedman & Jaki Liebezeit , Lisa Bassenge , Oddjob, Rudresh Mahanthappa , The Embassadors, Django Deluxe and Tineke Postma . For those who wanted to attend concerts at various locations in and around the harbor, it was not only logistical problems that led to shortened music enjoyment: “Those who stayed had it good. Those who came sometimes came too late and faced overcrowded rooms. "
- In 2011 more than 50 concerts a.o. a. the Charlie Haden Quartet West, Klaus Doldinger 's Passport , Paolo Nutini , Kurt Elling , Nils Landgren Funk Unit, Maria João & Mário Laginha , Nik Bärtschs Ronin , Don Grusin , Bojan Z , Wawau Adler & Pee Wee Ellis , Vladyslav Sendecki , Helge Sunde Ensemble Denada, Yaron Herman , Fringe Magnetic , Nicola Conte and Soweto Kinch along with many other artists on the Elbjazz stages. A highlight was the premiere of the port symphony : under the direction of the composer Colin Towns , the NDR Bigband presented a multimedia concert project to which Theo Janßen contributed historical films, photographs and sounds from the Hamburg port. The Elbjazz 2011 came to a close with the Mojo Club aftershow party in the old mechanical engineering hall on the Blohm + Voss site.
- In 2012, Helge Schneider met Michael Wollny . The other artists musically ranged from Rolf Kühn & Joachim Kühn , the NDR Bigband & Omar Sosa , Das Kapital , the Kammerflimmer Kollektief , the Mojo Club and Axel Zwingenberger . Acts like Caro Emerald , Curtis Stigers , Jazzanova or Hamel attracted a wide audience. There was also room for experimentation. But this year there were again complaints about long queues in front of the launch .
- 2013: Joshua Redman and Jamie Cullum performed before the big rain came. The musical range was reflected in the concert by Florian Weber with Samy Deluxe . Also, Don Friedman , Christoph Stiefel , Alexander von Schlippenbach , Nils Petter Molvaer and the NDR Bigband with Stefan Gwildis concerted.
- 2017: Jan Garbarek opened the festival, Gregory Porter closed it. In between, acts like Joshua Redman or the NDR Bigband with Nguyên Lê and Andreas Schaerer , but also Erik Truffaz , Myles Sanko and Snarky Puppy could be heard. This year there were complaints about incorrect placements: In the old machine building hall in particular, concerts such as those by Anna-Lena Schnabel or Nils Wülker attracted more visitors than the location would fit; however, Benjamin Schaefer played on the main stage. Nina Attal was reprimanded by the Abendblatt as an incorrect booking. With almost 29,000 visitors, 2017 saw more visitors than ever before.
- 2018: Michael Wollny performed several times this time in several formations; one of his concerts, like numerous other open-air concerts, was canceled due to heavy rain. Nils Landgren presented his Funk Unit, Heinz Sauer played in a duo with Jasper van't Hof . The concert of the Omer Klein Trio was recorded by Deutschlandfunk. Also performed: Kamasi Washington , Nneka , GoGo Penguin , China Moses , Charles Parsi, Kinga Glyk , Theo Croker , The Marcus King Band, The Cookers and many more
- 2019: As this year's Artist in Residence , Julia Hülsmann gave three concerts. In the sunshine, more than 50 performances by Jason Moran , Jamie Cullum , the NDR Big Band with Randy Brecker , Sophie Hunger , Kit Downes and newcomers like Kokoroko, Jungle by Night or the piano trio Shalosh took place on eight stages . Hans Lüdemann had to struggle with the enormous hall of St. Katharinen ; Christian Weber was open air not heard.
- ↑ a b c d e report from elbjazz 2011. ( Memento from January 24, 2012 in the Internet Archive ) In: Musikmarkt
- ↑ a b Rain clouded the mood at the Elbjazz Festival . Welt Online , May 27, 2013
- ↑ Hamburg Elbjazz Festival: Swinging in the Rain . Hamburger Abendblatt, May 27, 2013
- ↑ a b Throwing pearls in front of the ships. In: The time . June 2, 2019, accessed January 30, 2020 .
- ↑ a b Stefan Hentz concert series on harbor tour Frankfurter Rundschau , June 4, 2010
- ^ Heinrich Oehmsen: Elbjazz Festival is taking a compulsory break in 2016. Retrieved April 6, 2017 .
- ↑ Hamburg: Continuation of the “Elbjazz” festival not until 2017 - WELT. Retrieved April 6, 2017 .
- ^ "Elbjazz": Reeperbahn Festival CEO Alexander Schulz becomes the new director . In: music market . April 6, 2017 ( musikmarkt.de ).
- ↑ Hamburg Elbjazz Festival returns in 2017. NDR, accessed April 6, 2017 .
- ↑ a b Record number of visitors at the Hamburg Elbjazz Festival 2018. In: Jazzzeitung. June 7, 2018, accessed January 30, 2020 .
- ↑ Live: Elbjazz in the Port of Hamburg . In: Jazzthetik . No. 7/8 2012 .
- ↑ The Elbjazz Festival shows jazz from its most daring side
- ↑ Goose bumps at the Elbjazz Festival Hamburger Abendblatt, June 6th 2017
- ↑ Elbjazz 2017 ends with a record visit (NDR)
- ↑ A big break: Elbjazz Festival 2019. In: Jazzzeitung. June 5, 2019, accessed January 30, 2020 .