Parcel center (Deutsche Post DHL)
A parcel center ( PZ , also main transhipment center - HUB for short , previously a freight center or freight post center ) is a distribution system for parcels set up by Deutsche Post AG . The term “hub” is also used in the English-speaking world for such handling centers, see Hub and Spoke . The apronym HUB may have been derived from it.
The parcels delivered to Deutsche Post branches or post agencies, posted at packing stations or parcel boxes or picked up directly from the customer are transported in collective trips by truck to the corresponding start parcel center ( PZA or departure HUB ). Further sorting and forwarding to one of the other 35 parcel centers is carried out using the routing code (LC) or by automatic address reading ( OCR reading ) and video coding. Direct transport between the parcel centers takes place in swap bodies .
Shipments arriving from other parcel centers are sorted in the destination parcel center ( PZE or inbound HUB ) using the routing code or the routing information assigned to the identity code (IDC / IC) and then with the supply trips to the regional delivery bases (ZBn) and delivery bases (ZSP) forwarded. From there or directly from the ZB 00 in the PZE, the deliverer then takes on the further transport of the shipment to the recipient or to the packing station .
In 2012, Deutsche Post DHL began expanding its network for parcel transport as part of the 2012 parcel concept . New mechanized delivery bases (MechZBn) that can be approached directly from the outgoing distribution of a non-resident parcel center (PZA) brought a significant change to the distribution structure. They dispensed with the work steps for input distribution in the PZE and saved truck trips. If the distribution capacity of a smaller parcel center is no longer sufficient or if this seems sensible for reasons of improving runtime, distribution quantities can now be transferred to the next larger neighboring parcel center because the higher distribution speed enables a later delivery time.
List of parcel centers of Deutsche Post DHL
The German parcel centers are currently divided into joint branches with the mail centers as the stationary PAKET processing department . As of July 1, 2019, these were restructured and have been called Branch Operations since then . Before that, the parcel centers were assigned to the letter branches for the first time on January 1, 2007. Before this date, several parcel centers each formed a production EXPRESS branch . Before that, each of the locations originally called the freight center had its own administrative unit.
The size information relates to the hourly throughput of shipments since the expansion, conversion and construction of the parcel centers as part of the 2012 parcel concept . The locations with the size range M or L were built between 1994 and 1996 as a standard package center (S). They differ in the expansion that took place between 2011 and 2013. The XL locations were rebuilt later.
|01||Ottendorf-Okrilla industrial park
||Operation Dresden||01458 Ottendorf,
Bergener Ring 2-6
(across from Radefeld )
|Operation Leipzig||04158 Leipzig,
|M.||Responsible for all packages to Eastern Europe.|
|08||Neumark||operating Zwickau||08496 Neumark,
Neue Poststr. 1
|11||Ludwigsfelde||Package Berlin||14974 Ludwigsfelde,
Schwarzer Weg 3
|XL||A third mega parcel center will be built in a new business park south of Berlin between the B 101 and A 10 . Commissioning was initially planned for 2020. The official construction phase was initiated at a press conference on February 25, 2019. The completion of the site was then announced for 2021. After completion of the building in June 2020, commissioning is now scheduled for 2022.|
|14th||Nauen-Börnicke||Parcel Berlin since 2016, before that letter Berlin-Nord ( Hennigsdorf )||14641 Nauen-Börnicke,
|M.||Responsible for the north-west of Berlin|
|15th||Rudersdorf||Parcel Berlin since 2016, before that letter Berlin-Südost ( Schönefeld )||15562 Rüdersdorf,
|M.||Responsible for the south and east of Berlin|
Wesenberger Chaussee industrial park )
|operating Neubrandenburg||17235 Neustrelitz,
|21st||industrial Estate Very high||Hamburg operation||21035 Hamburg,
|M.||Responsible for all parcels to Scandinavia as well as sea mail to the USA, Canada and Iceland
The only parcel center that was already connected to an external delivery base via 2 conveyor bridges before the construction of the MechZB Aschheim, which, like the MechZBn, has its own distribution system.
|24||Neumünster Süd industrial park||Operation Kiel||24539 Neumünster,
||Operation Oldenburg (26) since 2019, before that since 2018: Parcel center Bremen (27)||28197 Bremen,
|L.||After the logistics center at this location had ceased operations at the end of 2016, the building connection was disconnected and the old parcel center was equipped with new distribution technology. Recommissioning: autumn 2018|
(Hansalinie Business Park)
|Operating Bremen (28)||28309 Bremen,
|(23K)||The only parcel center with a different layout and until the PZ90 Feucht was converted to 40K, the only parcel center with a different distribution system|
|30th||Anderten industrial park||operating Hannover||30559 Hanover,
Kleiner Holzhägen 2
Ludwig-Erhard-Allee industrial park )
|operating Herford||33699 Bielefeld,
Dingerdisser Str. 37
|34||Staufenberg-Lutterberg||operating Kassel||34355 Staufenberg,
Im Rotte 2
(North industrial area)
|Operation Magdeburg||39171 Sülzetal,
Lange Göhren 10
Bochum - Laer
(Opel Plant I)
|Dortmund plant (44)||44803 Bochum,
|XL||In 2014, concrete planning began for a new location on part of Opel Plant I. The completion was initially announced for 2016. After the site was acquired in January 2016, construction began on August 21, 2017. Commissioning was planned for 2019 later. On November 18, 2019, the location was officially put into operation with a partial capacity of 20,000 shipments per hour. The expansion to full capacity is planned for 2020.|
Dorsten Ost industrial park
|Operation Duisburg (46) since 2019, before that letter Essen (45)||46282 Dorsten,
|47||Krefeld||Operation Düsseldorf (40) since 2019, before that letter Duisburg (46)||47804 Krefeld,
Anrather Str. 660
Greven- Reckenfeld industrial park
|Operation Münster||48268 Greven,
|M.||Direct connection with conveyor bridge to the DHL logistics center|
(Eifeltor freight center)
|Operation Cologne-West||50997 Cologne,
Am Eifeltor 12
|M.||Responsible for all parcels to Belgium, the Netherlands, Luxembourg, Ireland and Great Britain|
|55||Saulheim||Operation Saarbrücken (66) since 2019, before that letter Mainz (55)||55291 Saulheim,
Am Sörgenlocher Weg 1
|M.||Responsible for all airmail parcels to overseas via Frankfurt am Main Airport, approx. 45 km away , as well as export parcels from the field post|
|56||Neuwied Distelfeld||operating Koblenz||56566 Neuwied,
Rostocker Str. 14
|M.||Responsible for Bonn , Siegburg , Limburg an der Lahn , Trier , Prüm / Gerolstein and Koblenz, among others .|
|58||Hagen (Buschmühlenstraße industrial park)||Essen 45 facility, since 2019, previously Letter Hagen (58)||58093 Hagen,
(Herbäcker industrial park)
|Operation Frankfurt (60) since 2019, before that since 2017: Parcel center Obertshausen , before that DHL Sorting Center GmbH||63179 Obertshausen,
|XL||The commissioning of the new location was initially planned for spring 2014. The building was completed in the first quarter of 2014, but the later planning target for operations to start in autumn 2014 was not achieved. Completion summer 2015 It was officially put into operation on June 15, 2016.|
|63||Rodgau (industrial area Niederroden Süd)||Operation Wiesbaden (65) since 2019, before that Letter Frankfurt am Main (60)||63110 Rodgau,
|M.||Since 2016 responsible for the Darmstadt region , which previously partially belonged to PZ 55 Saulheim . As a result, the Frankfurt region was transferred to the new PZ 60 Obertshausen . Since then, airmail parcels for Frankfurt am Main Airport have also been sent via this location.|
|67||Speyer||Operating Mannheim||67346 Speyer,
Göteborger Str. 5
|M.||Responsible for certain parcels to France, Spain, Switzerland, Portugal, Andorra, Gibraltar and Liechtenstein as well as returns from Tunisia and Morocco, as well as all incoming import parcels of the field post|
|72||Eutingen in the Gäu||operating Reutlingen||72184 Eutingen im Gäu, Am Flugplatz 14
||S.||Responsible for the south-western area around Stuttgart and from there south to the border with Switzerland.|
|73||Kings||Stuttgart office (70) since 2019, before that letter Göppingen (73)||73257 Köngen,
|M.||Responsible for Stuttgart and other northern, eastern and south-eastern environs.|
|76||Bruchsal||Operating Karlsruhe||76646 Bruchsal,
|77||Lahr||operating Freiburg||77933 Lahr,
|M.||Responsible for certain packages to France.|
|85||Aschheim||Operation Freising||85609 Aschheim,
|M.||First parcel center with a directly connected MechZB (since 2013). Among other things, responsible for certain parcels to Austria that go through the new Graz parcel center.|
|86||Augsburg / Gersthofen||Augsburg plant||86154 Augsburg,
Stuttgarter Str. 33
|89||Gunzburg||Operating Ravensburg||89312 Günzburg,
Nuremberg - Feucht
|Nuremberg plant||90475 Nuremberg,
Am Tower 10
|L.||Responsible for export packages to Italy, Greece, Bulgaria, Croatia, Turkey (land route), Serbia, Hungary, Romania, Vatican City, San Marino as well as returns from Italy, Greece, Bulgaria, Romania; Receipt of import packages from Italy, Slovenia and Croatia|
|93||regensburg||operating Straubing||93055 Regensburg,
|M.||Responsible for export packages to Austria, Slovenia, Slovakia and Bosnia & Herzegovina (land route); Receipt of import packages from Austria|
|97||Kitzingen||operating Würzburg||97318 Kitzingen,
Am Dreistock 11
|99||Nohra (Uno Business Park)||Operation Erfurt||99428 Nohra, Stangenallee
- The brown formatted "M" PZ represent the 28K conversions with the start of construction in 2012.
- The green formatted "M" PZ represent the 28K conversions, which were partially brought forward in 2013 because the 40K project has been stopped for the time being, but the volume of shipment traffic continues to increase.
- A planned XL package center near Hamburg-Harburg is not being built.
The network of parcel centers also includes the following facilities, which are also part of the stationary processing PAKET department of the respective letter branch .
|44||ASC - Rheinberg||Operation Düsseldorf (40) since 2019, before that letter Duisburg (46)||47495 Rheinberg, Amazonstr. 3||Direct connection via conveyor bridge to the adjacent Amazon - logistics center (DUS2)|
|88||ASC trench||Augsburg plant (should be closed on May 1, 2020)||86836 Graben, Zeppelinstrasse. 8th||Direct connection via conveyor bridge to the adjacent Amazon logistics center (MUC3)|
Both locations have their own parcel distribution systems. These are primarily used to distribute the dispatches for the shipments from the respective connected logistics centers. The local start parcel centers (PZA) are relieved by the direct traffic to the destination parcel centers (PZA) that this makes possible. On the other hand, the time saved means that dispatch orders and thus consignments can be processed later in the evening, which should reach the recipient the next day.
- Parcel center Vienna , in A-1230 Vienna- Liesing , Brunner Strasse 65, , opened in November 2016
- Parcel center Graz , in A-8142 Wundschuh , Am Terminal 11, , opened in October 2016
Package concept 2012
On September 15, 2011, Deutsche Post DHL announced plans to invest over 750 million euros in the expansion of its German parcel network in the following years in order to double the distribution capacity and largely automate processes that were previously manual. In addition, their information technology system should be expanded in order to enable customers to track their consignments in real time and to enable recipients to influence the place and time of delivery. It was also planned to set up 25 mechanized delivery bases (MechZB) in Germany in addition to the parcel centers by the end of 2013 . On December 5, 2012, the first of the new bases in Braunschweig went into operation.
Amazon sorting center
What has not yet been announced to the media by Swiss Post: As a flanking measure to the 2012 package concept , a distribution center was built from 2011 to 2012 at the two then new locations of Graben and Rheinberg of the mail order company Amazon . The so-called Amazon Sorting Centers (ASC) enable more direct processing of the mail order company's shipments in an adjacent building. The model of this principle was obviously the old parcel center Bremen (GVZ) which was converted after the construction of the PZ Bremen-Hemelingen for the direct dispatch of the shipments of the logistics center located at the same location (DHL Fulfillment). The operation of this location was stopped in 2016.
Expansion, renovation and new construction of the parcel centers
The parcel centers have been expanded and renewed as part of the 2012 parcel concept since 2011. The previous 33 parcel centers were built in the mid-1990s under the name of the freight center, derived from the freight concept of the time. There were no size categories as with the mail centers , since all freight centers, with a few exceptions and minor deviations, were built the same size and had the same functionality.
In the future there will be 4, and in the final stage 3 different sizes.
|size||Project name||description||Project locations|
|S.||Standard parcel center; Distribution capacity: 20,000 shipments per hour||First parcel center in Hagen , planning 1992, opening May 1994|
|M.||28K||Expansion of the existing distribution system; Distribution capacity: 28,000 shipments per hour (+ 40%)||Greven, Kitzingen and Neuwied|
|L.||40K||A new distribution system with extended automation will be installed at the existing location;
Distribution capacity: 40,000 shipments per hour (+ 100%)
|Damp . Hamburg and Cologne were also originally planned and all three should have been connected to the network at full capacity by the end of 2012 .|
|XL||50K||A completely new distribution system will be built at a new location, which will be tailored to other operational processes; Distribution capacity: 50,000 shipments per hour (+ 150%)||
Obertshausen near Offenbach, Bochum, Ludwigsfelde
Hamburg is not realized
In the parcel centers in Bielefeld and Krefeld, an expansion similar to the 28K project was implemented around 10 years before the start of the parcel concept in 2012. Nevertheless, the two locations were converted again to the new version of the extension in 2012 and 2013 respectively.
The Nuremberg-Feucht parcel center was partially dismantled for the 40K conversion from June 2012 and completely taken off the network in August of the same year. In the meantime, the shipments for this area went via the parcel centers in Regensburg and Kitzingen; at peak times, outgoing shipments also went via other surrounding parcel centers. The re-commissioning took place in stages from the end of 2012 to the spring of 2013. The international shipments, for which Nuremberg as the international freight station (IFS) is principally responsible, were diverted to other locations during the entire renovation phase.
Parcel and freight centers in philately
Special postmark: Open day at the Saulheim freight center. The Saulheim knight Hundt is shown in the background .
- Mail center (Deutsche Post AG)
- Mechanized delivery base
- Postal package
- packing station
- Parcel box
- Official website
- Videos and film reports
- Private websites
- Deutsche Post DHL Group is building another mega parcel center in the greater Berlin area, press release DPDHL, March 14, 2018
- Deutsche Post DHL Group builds parcel center in Ludwigsfelde City of Ludwigsfelde, March 15, 2018
- DHL and Brandenburg's Prime Minister break ground for the new mega parcel center in Ludwigsfelde DPDHL press release, February 25, 2019
- Shell of the mega parcel center is finished City of Ludwigsfelde, June 19, 2020
- DHL closes location in Bremen Weser Kurier, July 20, 2016
- Deutsche Post DHL and Adam Opel AG sign joint declaration of intent , Deutsche Post DHL press release, April 1, 2014
- DHL is building a parcel center on the Opel site ( memento of March 26, 2015 in the Internet Archive ), WDR, April 1, 2014
- DHL creates 600 jobs on the Opel site in Bochum , Der Westen, April 1, 2014
- DHL creates 600 jobs on Opel premises , RP Online, April 1, 2014
- DHL breaks ground for new mega parcel center in Bochum , press conference on August 21, 2017 in Bochum
- Press release Deutsche Post DHL and Bochum Perspektive 2022 GmbH sign purchase agreement , City of Bochum, January 29, 2016
- Good luck! - Good news for Bochum ( Memento from December 1, 2016 in the Internet Archive ), press release, February 16, 2016
- Deutsche Post DHL Group opens new mega parcel center in Bochum , press release, November 18, 2019
- Alfred Bulenz: Army postal exchange Deutschland↔Einsatzländer. BW field post, archived from the original on December 30, 2013 ; Retrieved November 29, 2012 .
- Germany's largest parcel center is established , DHL chooses Obertshausen location, op-online.de, October 23, 2012
- Deutsche Post DHL lays the foundation stone for the Obertshausen parcel center , press release, June 19, 2013
- Current aerial photo of the construction site at the Obertshausen site ( memento from September 24, 2013 in the Internet Archive ), September 9, 2013.
- Nationwide largest parcel center goes online in Obertshausen, Hesse. June 15, 2016, accessed June 15, 2016 .
- DHL Center in Neuland: The flagship project has burst - harburg-aktuell.de. Accessed April 7, 2020 (German).
- 60 jobs - DHL is building alongside Amazon , RP Online, August 19, 2011
- DHL freight center in Rheinberg ( memento of October 24, 2016 in the Internet Archive ), Bremer AG, references
- Amazon delivers parcels itself: Swiss Post closes its parcel center
- King Philippe visited the Belgian Post / This is how DHL is currently calculating the parcel announcement / Closure of the Graben parcel center postponed. Retrieved June 29, 2020 .
- DHL comes to Lechfeld in Graben , allgäu online, August 13, 2011
- Amazon sends first parcel from Lechfeld , Augsburger Allgemeine, September 2, 2011
- Press release: Largest DHL freight center in the Middle East goes into operation , as of November 5, 2008
- Press release: Largest DHL freight center in the Middle East goes into operation , as of November 7, 2008
- New DHL distribution center in Vienna , Logistik-Express, July 8, 2016
- DHL builds a distribution center for parcels in Vienna-Liesing , kurier.at, July 18, 2016
- Deutsche Post DHL expands parcel network in Germany for future customer requirements ( memento from June 1, 2013 in the Internet Archive ), press conference, September 15, 2011
- Deutsche Post DHL's first mechanized delivery base on the network ( memento from June 2, 2013 in the Internet Archive ), Deutsche Post DHL press release; 5th December 2012
- Post gets parcel center going DHL location in Feucht is being converted, nordbayern.de, October 1, 2012
- Production concept for parcel 2012 at Deutsche Post AG ( memento from December 19, 2014 in the Internet Archive ), ver.di Postal Services, December 14, 2011
- Deutsche Post DHL is building Germany's largest parcel center , press release, October 22, 2012
- Deutsche Post DHL signs contract with general contractor for new building in Obertshausen ( Memento from April 2, 2015 in the Internet Archive ), press release, May 7, 2013
- Andreas Rorowski: DHL buys 14 hectares of land on the former Opel site | WAZ.de. In: www.derwesten.de. Retrieved August 29, 2016 .
- Employee the Nuremberg branch, edition 2/2012
- Staff the Nuremberg branch, edition 2/2013