The airline was officially launched on September 27, 2017, and its maiden flight took place on June 20, 2018. It is based in Calgary , Alberta and was founded at WestJet's request to establish a new business model in the Canadian market. Shortly after it was founded, it was announced that Swoop's home airport would not be in Calgary, but in another nearby city such as Edmonton , Abbotsford or Winnipeg , although the headquarters would remain in Alberta due to lower taxes and a larger market share. On February 1, 2018, Swoop began selling tickets and announced John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport as its home airport.
As of March 2020, the Swoop fleet consists of nine aircraft with an average age of 4.5 years:
|Boeing 737-800||9||189||39 seats with extra legroom|
Swoop's current fleet is equipped with Recaro BL3520 leather seats and pink headrests over the seats. All seats include a tablet, a seat pocket, an adjustable headrest and a movable armrest (except for row 1).
Swoop's aircraft fleet is painted with the Swoop logo all over the fuselage, as well as a pink tail and a white stripe above. All aircraft got a name that is written under the cockpit window on both sides. The current name and the aircraft marks of aircraft swoops are:
In-flight entertainment and in-seat power
Swoop offers in-flight entertainment and internet via their mobile app. The Swoop app can be accessed via all internet-enabled mobile devices, including cell phones, tablets and laptops. The in-flight entertainment area of the app is called “Swoop Stream”, and passengers can watch live TV, films and TV series. This service is currently free, but Swoop plans to convert it into a paid service. Internet access is also available via Swoop Stream, for which a fee is charged depending on the time. One hour, three hour and 24 hour offers are available.
Swoop's fleet is equipped with power and USB connections at each seat.
- Website of swoop (English)
- Meet Swoop Press Release. Retrieved April 2, 2019 .
- WestJet aims to offer 40% cheaper fares with new ultra-low-cost carrier 'Swoop'. In: financialpost.com. September 27, 2017, accessed on July 21, 2018 .
- Swoop is on sale. Retrieved April 2, 2019 .
- Swoop Where we fly. In: flyswoop.com. Accessed July 21, 2018 (English).
- Swoop Fleet Details and History. In: planespotters.net. Retrieved March 14, 2020 .
- Swoop makes travel easy with their new mobile app. Accessed April 2, 2019 .