Altenmarkt im Pongau
Altenmarkt im Pongau
|coat of arms||Austria map|
|Political District :||St. Johann im Pongau|
|License plate :||JO|
|Residents :||4,428 (January 1, 2020)|
|Postal code :||5541|
|Area code :||06452|
|Community code :||5 04 01|
|Address of the
5541 Altenmarkt im Pongau
|Mayor :||Rupert Winter ( ÖVP )|
Municipal Council : (2019)
|Location of Altenmarkt im Pongau in the St. Johann im Pongau district|
|Source: Municipal data from Statistics Austria|
Altenmarkt covers an area of 49 km² and has a population density of 80 inhabitants / km². The community belonged to the Radstadt judicial district until 2004 and has been part of the Sankt Johann im Pongau judicial district since January 1, 2005 .
The municipality used to include the following three localities (residents as of January 1, 2015):
- Altenmarkt im Pongau (3098)
- Palfen (824)
- Sinnhub (523)
The community currently consists of one village (population as of January 1, 2020):
- Altenmarkt im Pongau (4428)
The community consists of the three cadastral communities Altenmarkt, Palfen and Sinnhub.
The southernmost part of the municipality is called Zauchensee after the body of water there. Several hotels and the majority of the ski lifts are located here and thus the core of the Zauchensee-Flauchauwinkel-Kleinarl ski area, which extends far to the west.
The majority of the area is roughly made up of the water catchment area of the Zauchenbach, which runs from the 300 m long Zauchensee towards the NNW and flows from the right into the Enns , where the settlement is denser. A mountain slope north of the Enns knee, i.e. left bank, also belongs to the municipality. Even further south than the Zauchensee and high up on the mountain is the more rounded Seekarsee.
The municipality is extremely narrow with a width of only 2 to 4.5 km and an extension of 6 km in a west-east direction with a length of 16 km north-south.
coat of arms
Blazon of the coat of arms of the municipality:
- "In white on a green lawn, a green double or double fir, the trunk of which is covered by a red shield in which a white eight-spoke wheel is shown."
The municipal council had a total of 19 members until 2009 and 21 members from 2009.
- With the municipal council and mayoral elections in Salzburg in 2004, the municipal council had the following distribution: 10 ÖVP, 4 SPÖ, 3 JA, and 2 FPÖ.
- With the municipal council and mayoral elections in Salzburg in 2009 , the municipal council had the following distribution: 14 ÖVP, 4 SPÖ, and 3 FPÖ.
- With the municipal council and mayoral elections in Salzburg in 2014 , the municipal council had the following distribution: 13 ÖVP, 4 SPÖ, and 4 FPÖ.
- With the municipal council and mayoral elections in Salzburg 2019 , the municipal council has the following distribution: 15 ÖVP, 3 SPÖ, and 3 FPÖ.
- 1964–1974 Matthäus Steffner (ÖVP)
- 1974–1997 Matthias Rainer (ÖVP)
- since 1997 Rupert Winter (ÖVP)
Culture and sights
- Catholic parish church Altenmarkt im Pongau Our Lady of the Birth of Mary
- Annakapelle, connected to the parish church to the north
- Lourdes Chapel, west of the Anna Chapel, and the cemetery
- Vicarage, connected to the parish church to the south
- Dechanthofstall, southeast of the rectory
- Altenmarkt local history museum, north of the parish church on Brunnbauerngasse 1: The Hoamathaus was built in 1408 and served as accommodation for the miners who mined the ore . It was later converted into a retirement home and was named the Bruderhaus . When a new old people's home was built in 1970, the local history museum was created here with depictions of life in Altenmarkt over 100 years ago. The showpiece of the museum is the 250 year old Grundner Nativity .
Events in the cultural sector
- 2005 Pongauer Hoamattog
- Pongauer Perchtenlauf and Krampuslauf
- Salzburg street theater
- Record of Sounding Austria
- TV morning pint
- Harvesters' autumn week with historical pageant
- Traditional evenings
Altenmarkt is a member of the Ski amadé sports world . The Zauchensee ski area expanded its snow-making systems in 2015.
Altenmarkt-Zauchensee has already hosted many important major events:
- Alpine skiing: Women's World Cup races (first World Cup in Zauchensee 1980), several national championships, numerous FIS and European Cup races as well as foreign national championships, 2002 World Cup finals together with Flachau
- Freestyle: Austrian championships, European championships, world cup races in the competitions ballet , mogul slope , jumping, freestyle skiing world championships 1993
- Snowboard: World Cup event in 1995
- Nordic skiing: 35 events of the International Tauern Run up to 2011
- Motorsport: Historic Ice Trophy (ice races for historic vehicles on ice and snow on a circuit), Ennstal Classic , Planai Classic, Ferrari and Maserati meetings
The economy in Altenmarkt is diversified, with the largest share of tourism , as well as industry, agriculture and trade.
- Atomic (manufacture of skis from 1966 in Wagrain) built a factory in Altenmarkt in 1971.
- Mountain railways and ski lifts
- Total slope length (Altenmarkt and Zauchensee): 99 km
- Number of ski lifts: 23
- Transport capacity per hour: 33,300 people
- Road: The nearby A 10 Tauern Autobahn (E 55 / E 60) with exit 63 Altenmarkt offers access and exits in / from the direction of Salzburg and Villach / Carinthia. In the center of the village, the B 163 Wagrainer Straße branches off westwards to St. Johann im Pongau .
- Train: The Ennstalbahn ( Bischofshofen - Selzthal ) and the B 99 Katschberg Straße (E 651, Bischofshofen - Spittal an der Drau / Carinthia) run through the municipality. In the 1970s and 1980s, this route formed the notorious guest worker route as one of the most important long-distance routes in Europe. The inner Austrian transit route North Tyrol / Vorarlberg to Styria is still important . Regional trains stop in Altenmarkt, and the Radstadt express train (IC) station is three kilometers to the east.
- Bus: The Postbus route 910 runs from Liezen to Altenmarkt, the bus route 520 between Altenmarkt and Wagrain,
- Bicycle: Coming from nearby Flachauwinkl , the Enns Cycle Path accompanies the river, which is only a few meters wide, and reaches the city of Enns via the states of Styria and Upper Austria .
- Kulturhaus: built in 1950 as a fire station, rebuilt in 1993. The Kulturhaus is a public building in which events can be held.
- Retirement home: opened in July 2007, with 70 beds and right next to the health center in an ideal location. The old retirement home (built in 1968, 30 beds, nursing management: Mr. Rohringer) was demolished in 2008.
- Fire station: built in 1989, the Red Cross and mountain rescue services are also housed in this house
- Medical center: built in 2004, 14 doctors from different specialties (as of 2015)
- Social center: includes the community library, the parent-child counseling PEPP, the mother counseling and the women's information center KOKON
- Elementary school
- secondary schools
- Polytechnic course
- Musikum Altenmarkt (branch of the Musikum Salzburg)
- Honorary citizen of the community
- 1989: Georg Eder (1928–2015), Archbishop of Salzburg
- ?: Matthias Rainer (1933–2005), former mayor
- Sons and daughters of the church
- Michael Hauser (* 1981), biathlete in the ÖSV A-team
- Alexander Maier (* 1974), snowboarder
- Hermann Maier (* 1972), ski racer
- Marc Mayer (* 1978), cross-country skier
- Herbert Meneweger (* 1963), extreme endurance cyclist, lecturer and author
- Markus Pausch (* 1974), political scientist and author
- Bernhard Schneider , music educator, composer, choir director and organist
- Christoph Steffner (* 1961), installation artist and draftsman
- Hermann Strasser (* 1941), university professor , sociologist and publicist
- Michael Walchhofer (* 1975), ski racer
Ortschronik Altenmarkt im Pongau. 3 volumes
- Volume I Rastat the "Old Market" in Ennspongau
- Volume II Altenmarkt “Mother Parish” in Ennspongau
- Volume III From the craft and farming village to the tourism center in Ennspongau
- 50401 - Altenmarkt im Pongau. Community data, Statistics Austria .
- Website of the market town of Altenmarkt
- Statistics Austria - Population at the beginning of 2002–2020 by municipalities (area status 01/01/2020)
- residents by locality (Excel file, 766 KB); Retrieved July 29, 2015
- Statistics Austria: Population on January 1st, 2020 by locality (area status on January 1st, 2020) , ( CSV )
- Matthäus Steffner . In: Salzburger Nachrichten : Salzburgwiki .
- Matthias Rainer . In: Salzburger Nachrichten : Salzburgwiki .
- Rupert Winter . In: Salzburger Nachrichten : Salzburgwiki .
- http://salzburg.orf.at/news/stories/2727883/ Zauchensee expands artificial snowmaking, orf.at, 23 August 2015, accessed 23 August 2015.
- Bernhard Schneider , in: Regiowiki.at website