List of the archbishops and bishops of Bamberg
The list of the archbishops and bishops of Bamberg contains the chronological order of the bishops since the foundation of the diocese of Bamberg from 1007 to 1303. After 1303 the bishops were also prince-bishops over the bishopric of Bamberg . On September 29, 1802, the bishopric of Bamberg was occupied by Bavarian troops and as a result, Christoph Franz von Buseck was forced to resign , making him the last prince-bishop. After the secularization followed - from 1818 - the archbishops of the Archdiocese of Bamberg .
For a long time the bishops came from Franconian noble families (see also list of Franconian knight families ). Some bishops were initially canons in Bamberg Cathedral (see also the list of Bamberg canons ), and some of them were also employed in other dioceses, particularly often in personal union with the diocese and bishopric of Würzburg .
The coat of arms of the diocese shows a black lion on a gold background. The motif is covered with a silver diagonal right bar . The individual prince-bishops usually had a quartered coat of arms, with the family coat of arms of the respective sex and the coat of arms of the Bamberg diocese alternating. If there is no actual bishop's coat of arms in the picture, the family coat of arms is used in the list.
List of the archbishops and bishops of Bamberg
Current locations of the epitaphs of the bishops
Epitaphs are important sources of information through images of the people, assigned transcriptions and ancestral samples in the form of coats of arms . Most of the prince-bishops were buried in Bamberg Cathedral and their epitaphs were only later outsourced. In addition to the art-historical value of the works, the representation of the bishop also often expresses himself. a. in clothing, posture and facial features .
Today's locations are:
- Bishops' graves in the side aisles of Bamberg Cathedral as well as in the east and west choirs and in the crypt
- Side aisles of Michelsberg Monastery
- Epitaph of Lupold von Bebenburg in the Anhausen monastery
- Grave monuments of the Prince-Bishops Lothar Franz and Friedrich Karl von Schönborn in the Mainfränkisches Museum
Since the Archdiocese of Bamberg is a metropolitan diocese, it also has suffragan dioceses with the following lists of bishops:
- → Diocese of Eichstätt : List of the bishops of Eichstätt
- → Diocese of Würzburg : List of the bishops of Würzburg
- → Diocese of Speyer : List of the bishops of Speyer
The above-mentioned bishoprics became suffragans of the Archdiocese of Bamberg as part of the Circumcription Bull of Pope Pius VIII , which regulated the reorganization of the individual dioceses in the Kingdom of Bavaria in 1821 .
- Ernst Friedrich Mooyer (Ed.): Directories of the German bishops since the year 800 AD. Geb. Minden 1854, pp. 5–6 .
- Bamberg . In: Heinrich August Pierer , Julius Löbe (Hrsg.): Universal Lexicon of the Present and the Past . 4th edition. tape 2 . Altenburg 1857, p. 259-261 ( zeno.org ).
- Friedrich Wilhelm Ebeling: List of German bishops up to the end of the sixteenth century - presented biographically, literarily, historically and in terms of church statistics . 1. Volume, Leipzig 1858, pp. 15–31 .
- Bamberg . In: Erwin Gatz (ed.): The bishops of the German-speaking countries 1785/1803 to 1945 . Berlin 1983, ISBN 3-428-05447-4 , pp. 846-847.
- Bamberg . In: Erwin Gatz (Ed.): The Bishops of the Holy Roman Empire 1648 to 1803 . Berlin 1990, ISBN 3-428-06763-0 , p. 593.
- Bamberg (ecclesia Bambergensis) . In: Erwin Gatz (Ed.): The Bishops of the Holy Roman Empire 1448 to 1648 . Berlin 1996, ISBN 3-428-08422-5 , pp. 780-782.
- Dieter J. Weiß, The Dioceses of the Ecclesiastical Province of Mainz. The exemte diocese of Bamberg 3. The series of bishops from 1522 to 1693 (Germania Sacra. New series 38.1). Berlin 2000. Online edition .
- Bamberg (ecclesia Bambergensis) . In: Erwin Gatz (ed.): The Bishops of the Holy Roman Empire 1198 to 1448 . Berlin 2001, ISBN 3-428-10303-3 , pp. 34-36.
- Bamberg . In: Erwin Gatz (ed.): The bishops of the German-speaking countries 1945–2001 . Berlin 2002, ISBN 3-428-10684-9 , p. 64.
- Schematism of the Archdiocese of Bamberg 2013 . Status: February 1, 2013. Bamberg 2013, pp. 972–976.
- Dieter J. Weiß, The exemte Diocese of Bamberg 4: The Bamberg Bishops from 1693 to 1802 (Germania Sacra. Third part 12) , Berlin / Boston 2015.
- Timeline with the exact dates of the bishops' lives ( MS Word ; 81 kB; accessed 2012)
- Digitized funeral sermons to the Archbishops of Bamberg from the holdings of the Bamberg State Library
- Bishops - lifetimes and reigns
- Selected epitaphs in Bamberg Cathedral
- Bernhard Peter: Coat of arms of the Bamberg prince-bishops