|date of birth||7th August 1999 (age 21)|
|place of birth||
New Brunswick , New Jersey ,
|discipline||400 meter hurdles|
|Best performance||51.46 s|
|society||vorm. Kentucky Wildcats|
|Trainer||Bob Kersee (since 2020)
Joanna Hayes (2018–2020); vorm. Edrick Floreal
|last change: August 4, 2021|
Sydney McLaughlin (born August 7, 1999 in New Brunswick , New Jersey ) is an American athlete who specializes in the 400 meter hurdles . She became world and Olympic champion over this route and improved the world record several times.
McLaughlin is the second youngest of four siblings. Her parents were both athletics, father Willie ran the 400 meters in 45.30 s and finished eighth over this distance at the 1983 US championships , mother Mary ran 400 and 800 meters in high school . Her two years older brother Taylor is also a long sprinter and won silver over 400 meter hurdles at the U20 World Championships in 2016 .
Sydney McLaughlin herself started athletics at the age of 6. In June 2014, she set a world record for 14-year-olds over the 100 meter hurdles with 13.34 seconds. At the beginning of July, she was second in the 400-meter hurdles in 55.63 s at the US U20 championships behind Shamier Little, who was over 4 years older than she was, and again achieved a world best in her age group. While Little later became the junior world champion at the U20 World Championships in 2014 , the McLaughlin, who was also qualified in sports, was not yet allowed to take part due to her young age.
In the following year, 2015, McLaughlin improved to 55.28 s in the national trials for the U18 World Championships in 2015 , in addition to a world best for 15-year-olds, she also ran the second-best time ever achieved by an under 18-year-old. At the youth world championships in Cali , Colombia , she won gold a little later in 55.94 s with a championship record.
In June 2016, McLaughlin increased to 54.46 s and achieved a U18 world best and a US U20 record. After a victory at the US U20 championships in 54.54 s, she entered the US Olympic Trials 2016 in the following month , where she won her preliminary and her semi-finals and came third in the final in 54.15 s. She qualified as the youngest athlete since Carol Lewis , who qualified for the Olympic Games in Moscow , which was later boycotted in 1980 , for an American athletics Olympic team and, in addition to another U18 world record, also set a U20 world record . At the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro , she was eliminated from the semifinals a few days after her 17th birthday in 56.22 seconds.
At the end of January 2017, McLaughlin was part of a medley relay (1200 m - 400 m - 800 m - 1600 m) together with Emma Coburn , Brenda Martinez and Jenny Simpson , which ran the best indoor world performance in this discipline in 10: 40.31 minutes. In the summer season, she undercut her own U20 world record with 54.03 s in early June.Three weeks later, she improved this time again at the US championships in 53.82 s, finishing sixth in qualifying for the World Championships in London. In December she ran a U20 indoor world record over 300 meters in 36.12 seconds. This was also her first race for the University of Kentucky athletics team , previously McLaughlin had attended Union Catholic Regional High School . In Kentucky, Edrick Floreal became her trainer.
For Kentucky, McLaughlin was second in the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) indoor championships in 50.36 s in March 2018 , in the 200-meter run she finished fourth in 22.80 s with her time over 400 meters Like two weeks earlier (50.52 s), she undercut the existing U20 world record set by Sanya Richards-Ross (50.82 s in 2004). Over the hurdles, she improved her U20 world record in April to 53.60 s, but increased again a good two weeks later at the championships of the Southeastern Conference to 52.75 s. At the NCAA championships in June, she finally won in 53.96 s. With the 4 x 400 meter relay , she finished fourth. Then she announced that she had completed her last college race and that she would be active as a professional athlete in the future. In October she signed a contract with sporting goods manufacturer New Balance and in November it was announced that she would be trained by Joanna Hayes , the 2004 100-meter hurdles Olympic champion.
In her first year as a professional, McLaughlin won the Diamond League races in Oslo and Monaco over the hurdles in 2019, and in Shanghai she came second over the flat 400 meters. In July she qualified at the US championships as runner-up behind the world record-breaking Dalilah Muhammad with a season best of 52.88 s for the world championships in Doha. There McLaughlin was again second behind Muhammad with a personal best of 52.23 s and won the silver medal. With the 4 x 400 meter relay , she won the gold medal in 3: 18.92 minutes.
In 2020, she did not contest any of the rare competitions due to the COVID-19 pandemic , changed her coach in the summer and joined the training group under Bob Kersee, which includes 400-meter runner Allyson Felix .
In spring 2021, McLaughlin completed several 100 meter hurdles for the first time since 2014. In doing so, she increased her best performance four times, finally to 12.65 s. At the US Olympic Trials 2020 on June 27, 2021 (postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic ), she ran a new world record in the final with 51.90 s and stayed there as the first woman in the world under 52 seconds and at the same time beat the previous world record holder Dalilah Muhammad, who came second in this race. At the Olympic Games in 2021 , McLaughlin undercut the world record she had set a few weeks earlier by 0.44 seconds in the final competition of her discipline . She won ahead of Dalilah Muhammad, who also remained below the old record.
- 200 meters: 22.39 s (+1.5 m / s), March 29, 2018 in Gainesville
- 400 meters: 50.07 s, March 30, 2018 in Gainesville
- 400 meters (hall): 50.36 s, March 10, 2018 in College Station
- 100 meter hurdles: 12.65 s (+2.0 m / s), May 9, 2021 in Walnut
- 60 meter hurdles (hall): 8.17s, March 15, 2015 in New York City
- 400 meter hurdles: 51.46 s, August 3, 2021 in Tokyo
|2015||U18 world championships||Cali||1.||400 m hurdles||55.94 s|
|2016||Olympic games||Rio de Janeiro||5. (HF1)||400 m hurdles||56.22 s|
|2019||World championships||Doha||1.||4 × 400 m||3: 18.92 min|
|2.||400 m hurdles||52.23 s|
|2021||Olympic games||Tokyo||1.||400 m hurdles||51.46 s WR|
- Sydney McLaughlin in the database of World Athletics (English)
- Sydney McLaughlin in the database of Olympedia.org (English)
- Sydney McLaughlin. In: teamusa.org. Accessed August 1, 2019 .
- Track: Union Catholic siblings Taylor and Sydney McLaughlin were born to run. In: highschoolsports.nj.com. January 29, 2014, accessed August 1, 2019 .
- Willie McLaughlin in the World Athletics database ; Portrait of Willie McLaughlin in the trackfield.brinkster.net database , accessed on August 1, 2019.
- Gen 10: all-round sprint star Sydney McLaughlin. In: iaaf.org. December 11, 2018, accessed August 1, 2019 .
- IAAF World Championships London 2017 Statistics Book. In: iaaf.org. P. 500 , accessed on August 1, 2019 .
- Sydney McLaughlin is Too Good to Be Only 14. In: milesplit.com. July 14, 2014, accessed August 1, 2019 .
- IAAF World Championships London 2017 Statistics Book. In: iaaf.org. P. 501 , accessed on August 1, 2019 .
- McLaughlin, Hill and Lyles impress at US Youth Championships. In: iaaf.org. July 1, 2015, accessed August 1, 2019 .
- Girls' 400m hurdles - IAAF World Youth Championships, Cali 2015. In: iaaf.org. July 19, 2015, accessed August 1, 2019 .
- Sydney McLaughlin sets world U18 400m hurdles best - global update. In: athleticsweekly.com. June 21, 2016, accessed August 1, 2019 .
- Sydney McLaughlin wins Gatorade National Track & Field Athlete of the Year. In: usatodayhss.com. June 27, 2016, accessed August 1, 2019 .
- 16-year-old Sydney McLaughlin juggles Olympics, school - and juggling. In: washingtonpost.com. July 27, 2016, accessed August 1, 2019 .
- Rio 2016: NJ teen Sydney McLaughlin's 1st Olympics ends in 400-meter hurdles semis. In: nj.com. August 17, 2016, accessed August 1, 2019 .
- Jenny Simpson, Brenda Martinez, Sydney McLaughlin and Emma Coburn Set New DMR Indoor World Record * of 10: 40.31. In: letsrun.com. January 28, 2017, accessed August 1, 2019 .
- McLaughlin breaks world U20 400m hurdles record. In: iaaf.org. June 3, 2017, accessed August 1, 2019 .
- Muhammad wins historic 400m hurdles race at US Championships. In: iaaf.org. June 26, 2017, accessed July 2, 2021 .
- Sydney McLaughlin Runs 36.12 Over 300 Meters at The Hoosier Open. In: nj.milesplit.com. December 8, 2017, accessed August 1, 2019 .
- Norman breaks world indoor 400m record at NCAA Indoor Championships. In: iaaf.org. March 10, 2018, accessed August 1, 2019 .
- McLaughlin improves own world U20 400m hurdles record in Fayetteville. In: iaaf.org. April 29, 2018, accessed August 1, 2019 .
- McLaughlin smashes own world U20 400m hurdles record with 52.75 in Knoxville. In: iaaf.org. May 14, 2018, accessed August 1, 2019 .
- IT'S OFFICIAL: Sydney McLaughlin Is Going Pro. In: flotrack.org. June 10, 2018, accessed August 1, 2019 .
- Sydney McLaughlin signs with New Balance. In: olympics.nbcsports.com. October 15, 2018, accessed August 1, 2019 .
- Sydney McLaughlin Will be Coached by Joanna Hayes. In: nj.milesplit.com. November 27, 2018, accessed August 1, 2019 .
- Record over 400 meter hurdles - "That time blew me away". In: faz.net. July 30, 2019, accessed August 1, 2019 .
- world record! Muhammad as if unleashed to hurdle gold. In: sportschau.de. October 4, 2019, accessed October 4, 2019 .
- Sydney McLaughlin Hope's Coaching Change Can Help Lead to Olympic Gold. In: teamusa.org. April 5, 2021, accessed July 2, 2021 .
- McLaughlin's world record over 400 meters hurdles - The first under 52 seconds Spiegel.de, June 28, 2021
- Stand August 2019, these times were the World Association of Athletics Federations IAAF ratified. 
- As of August 2019, the 53.60 s, but not the 52.75 s, were ratified by the IAAF as a U20 world record. 
|SHORT DESCRIPTION||American athlete|
|BIRTH DATE||August 7, 1999|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||New Brunswick , New Jersey, United States|