coat of arms
|mayor||Leendert de Lange ( VVD )|
|Seat of the municipality||Wassenaar|
|62.4 km 2
51.16 km 2
11.24 km 2
|Residents||26,197 (Jan 31, 2019)|
|Population density||420 inhabitants / km 2|
|Important traffic route|
|Website||Homepage of Wassenaar|
Location and economy
The location directly on the North Sea coast, surrounded by dunes and forests and at the same time immediately north of The Hague, 10 km south of Leiden , but also easily accessible from Amsterdam and Rotterdam , makes Wassenaar a popular place to live. Around 10% of the almost 25,700 inhabitants are of foreign descent, including numerous diplomats and employees of international companies and authorities.
Not only commuters live in Wassenaar: horticulture is practiced on the eastern edge of the village. Tourism is also very important. The dunes are partly used to store and produce drinking water for the Hague region.
Wassenaar, which was a farming village until around 1700, consists of a small old village center in the middle of a partly boggy , partly wooded area, which is only a stone's throw from the North Sea coast . The ancestral seat of the Van Wassenaer family, first mentioned in 1200, was located near the church .
In the 18th and 19th centuries, several country estates of wealthy families who belonged to the Hague government circles were built here. Already in the early 20th century, villa districts and country houses were formed on spacious plots around the village, often used as summer and holiday homes by rich townspeople at the time. An important reason for the choice of Wassenaar by the wealthier population was the completion of the Rotterdam - The Hague - Scheveningen - Wassenaar train connection in 1907 . In 1923 the traffic situation was considerably improved again with the creation of a tram line Den Haag - Wassenaar - Leiden. The railroad no longer exists. Wassenaar can be reached by bus every half hour from Hague Central Station in around 20 minutes.
The fact that Wassenaar has remained an undiminished attractive place to live nowadays is also due to the fact that the heir to the throne Willem-Alexander also decided to live in Wassenaar after his marriage and his family resides on the Eikenhorst estate .
The Oud-Wassenaar Castle in Wassenaar was the scene of the negotiations on the Luxembourg Agreement in 1952 and the conference venue in 1995 for the drafting of the Wassenaar Agreement , which is used for the control of armaments .
- The Duinrell country estate to the west of the town center is a nationally popular amusement park that is popular with families with children of primary school age.
- The Meijendel dune area , with its visitor center and pancake restaurant, offers the opportunity to go hiking and cycling.
- Wassenaarse Slag is an access to the North Sea beach . Furthermore, Scheveningen near The Hague is only 5–7 km away.
- In the center of the village there is an old Romanesque church from the 12th century , as well as some old houses and former farms.
- A fire brigade museum is located in the basement of De Paauw Town Hall, built in 1840 .
- The historic "Windlust" grain mill from 1668 is located in the center of the village.
Distribution of seats in the municipal council
The local elections on March 21, 2018 resulted in the following distribution of seats:
|Hart voor Wassenaar||-||-||1||3|
|Democratic Liberals Wassenaar||-||-||1||2|
|Wat Wassenaar Wil||6th||5||3||-|
|Passie voor Wassenaar||-||-||2||-|
Leendert de Lange ( VVD ) has been the acting mayor of the municipality since July 18, 2019 . His colleagues include Bert Doorn ( CDA ), Freddy Blommers ( D66 ), Inge Zweerts de Jong ( Passie voor Wassenaar ), Leo Maat ( GroenLinks ) and the municipal secretary Hélène Oppatja.
Sons and daughters
- Henri Ernest Moltzer (1836–1895), Dutch scholar and literary scholar
- Nicolette Mout (* 1945), historian
- Theo van Gogh (1957-2004), director
- Thom Hoffman (* 1957), actor and photographer
- Corinne Lisette Hofman (* 1959), archaeologist and university professor
Noble family van Wassenaer
The aristocratic van Wassenaer family, who also bear the coat of arms, is connected to the village .
- Equestrian sport : Duindigt harness racing track, one of the most traditional in the Netherlands
- Polo Club Wassenaar, the polo club with the largest number of members in the Netherlands
- Hockey : HGC Wassenaar is one of the strongest field hockey clubs in Europe
- Golf : Wassenaar has several golf courses:
- Website of the municipality (Dutch, English)
- Graziella Gioia, Lex de Jonge: VVD-Kamerlid Leendert de Lange wordt nieuwe burgemeester van Wassenaar. In: AD . De Persgroep Nederland , June 11, 2019, accessed July 20, 2019 (Dutch).
- Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand . In: StatLine . Centraal Bureau voor de Statistiek (Dutch)
- Result of the local elections: 2014 2018 , accessed on June 11, 2018 (Dutch)
- seats in the municipal council: 2006 2010 2014 2018 , accessed on June 11, 2018 (Dutch)
- College van burgemeester en wethouders Gemeente Wassenaar, accessed on June 11, 2018 (Dutch)
- Gemeentesecretaris Gemeente Wassenaar, accessed on June 11, 2018 (Dutch)