Calendar overview 1188
Saladin besieges the Krak des Chevaliers ,
a castle of the Hospitallers in Syria, in vain .
|Joachim von Fiore retires to the Sila Mountains.||
becomes King of León .
|1188 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||636/637 (turn of the year July)|
|Buddhist calendar||1731/32 (southern Buddhism); 1730/31 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||64th (65th) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||550/551 (turn of the year April)|
|Islamic calendar||583/584 (turn of the year March 1st / 2nd)|
|Jewish calendar||4948/49 (23/24 September)|
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1498/99 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1499/1500 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1244/45 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
England / France
- January 21 : In the Peace of Gisors , the English King Henry II accepts the loss of the Berry area , which comes under the rule of the French King Philip II .
- The Cortes de León meet in the Basilica of San Isidoro with representatives of the nobility, the clergy and the cities.
Holy Roman Empire
- Theodoros Mankaphas declares himself anti -emperor in his hometown of Philadelphia . The Byzantine emperor Isaac II sends his general Basil Vatatzes , who defeats Theodoros in several battles and finally takes his capital.
City rights and first documentary mentions
- September 19 : Lübeck receives a guarantee of its rights and its territory through the privilege of Emperor Barbarossa ( Barbarossa privilege ).
- In Magdeburg , the first time Magdeburg Law codified.
- Korbach receives the Soest town charter.
- First documented mention of Altengamme , Flein , Movelier and Mölln
- around 1188: The porch of the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela is completed.
- around 1188: Joachim von Fiore leaves the Cistercian order and goes to the Silagebirge .
- Blanka of Castile , Queen of France († 1252 )
- Ulrich von Ortenburg , Bishop of Gurk († 1253 )
- Siegfried , Bishop of Regensburg († 1246 )
First half of the year
- January 22nd : Ferdinand II , King of León and Galicia (* 1137 )
- January 26th : Øystein Erlendsson , Archbishop of Nidaros (* around 1120 )
- February 10 : Siegfried , Bishop of Paderborn
- April 20 : Hildegunde , saint (* 1170 )
- May 4th : Humbert III. , Count of Savoy (* around 1120 )
- May: Baldwin de Redvers , Earl of Devon (* around 1160 )
Second half of the year
- October 11 : Robert I , Count of Dreux (* around 1123 )
- October 28 : Gebhard III. , Count of Sulzbach (* around 1114 )
- November 4th : Theobald von Ostia , Benedictine and Cardinal
- November 16 : Usama Ibn Munqidh , Arabic writer and poet, politician and diplomat (* 1095 )
- November: Roger Bernard I , Count of Foix
- December 7th : Tammo von Verden , Bishop of Verden
- December 14 : Berthold III. , Margrave of Istria and Carniola (* around 1113 )
- December 21 or 22 : Richard of Ilchester , English civil servant, diplomat and clergyman
- December: Jon Kuvlung , Norwegian Army King
Exact date of death unknown
- Gottfried III. , Lord of Joinville
- Lingre Pema Dorje , person of Tibetan Buddhism (* 1128 )
- Aoife MacMurrough , Irish princess (* around 1145 )
- Simon IV , Count of Montfort
- Thomas von Ibelin , Lord of Ramla and Mirabel (* around 1176 )