Province of the Netherlands
|coat of arms||flag|
|ISO 3166-2 code||NL-OV|
|Royal Commissioner||Andries Heidema ( ChristenUnie )|
|Ruling parties||CDA , VVD , PvdA , ChristenUnie and SGP|
|Residents||1,156,886 ( 6th of 12 )|
|Country share||6.7% of the Dutch|
|Population density||349 inhabitants per km² ( 7th of 12 )|
|Religion (2015, CBS )||23% - Roman Catholic
12% - Dutch Reformed
8% - Protestant
6% - Reformed
3% - Islam
6% - other
42% - none
|- country||3,319.00 km² (5th of 12)|
|- Water||101.74 km²|
Topography of the province of Overijssel
Overijssel ( Lower Saxon Oaveriessel , German Oberyssel ) is a province in the Netherlands . It lies between the IJsselmeer , the IJssel and the hills of the Veluwe in the west, Drenthe in the north, the German states of Lower Saxony and North Rhine-Westphalia in the east and the Achterhoek (province of Gelderland ) in the south. The local dialects are attributed to Lower Saxony ( Low German).;
There are two regions in Overijssel: Salland in the west and Twente in the east; the municipalities of Zwartewaterland and Steenwijkerland in the north together form the third region, the "head" of Overijssel.
Overijssel is bordered by the IJsselmeer , the IJssel and the Veluwe hills in the west, the former Drenthe moors in the north, the German border in the east and the Gelderse Achterhoek in the south. Except for the northwest, where lakes dominate, the bottom is mostly sandy, but is interrupted by small rivers.
In terms of territorial history, the province of Overijssel goes back to the Overijssel lordship , which was part of the domain of the bishop of Utrecht - the monastery of Utrecht - and was called the upper monastery of Utrecht (the lower monastery included the area around Utrecht). In that year 1528, the area of the upper monastery was ceded by Bishop Heinrich of Bavaria to Emperor Charles V. In 1580 the rule of the Union of Utrecht joined and became a province in the Republic of the United Netherlands .
In the provincial election on March 20, 2019, the parties obtained the following shares of the vote: CDA 17.10% (9 seats), FvD 13.27% (6 seats), VVD 12.94% (6 seats), GroenLinks 9.48% ( 5 seats), PvdA 8.50% (4 seats), ChristenUnie 8.26% (4 seats), PVV 7.18% (3 seats), SP 5.88% (3 seats), D66 5.77% ( 3 seats), SGP 3.91% (2 seats), 50PLUS 3.43% (1 seat), PvdD 3.03% (1 seat), other 1.24%. The turnout was 59.27%.
The next provincial election will take place on March 22, 2023.
At the head of the province is the king's commissioner . Since July 11, 2018, this is Andries Heidema ( ChristenUnie ). The college van Gedeputeerde Staten , i.e. the government, has been formed since 2019 by a coalition of Christian Democrats , right- wing liberals , Social Democrats , Calvinists and radical conservatives .
Since 2005 the province of Overijssel still comprises 25 municipalities:
- Almelo (72,945)
- Borne (23,236)
- Dalfsen (28,503)
- Deventer (100,021)
- Dinkelland (26,342)
- Enschede (158,969)
- Haaksbergen (24,252)
- Hardenberg (60,556)
- Hellendoorn (35,819)
- Hengelo (80,725)
- Farm van Twente (34,952)
- Kampen (53,869)
- Losser (22,618)
- Oldenzaal (31,834)
- Olst-Wijhe (18,105)
- Ommen (17,828)
- Raalte (37,527)
- Rijssen-Holten (38,267)
- Staphorst (17.006)
- Steenwijkerland (43,961)
- Tubbergen (21,296)
- Twenterand (33,785)
- Wierden (24,348)
- Zwartewaterland (22,523)
- Zwolle (127,599)
(Residents on January 31, 2019)
- Religieuze betrokkenheid; kerkelijke gezindte; regio. CBS , December 22, 2016, accessed November 19, 2018 (Dutch).
- Provinciale Staten 20 March 2019. In: Verkiezingsuitslagen.nl. Kiesraad , accessed May 3, 2019 (Dutch).
- Provinciale Staten 18 March 2015. In: Verkiezingsuitslagen.nl. Kiesraad , accessed May 3, 2019 (Dutch).
- Kelly Adams: Overijssel heeft een nieuwe coalitie, partijen zijn eruit na maanden onderhandelen. In: Tubantia . De Persgroep Nederland , 6 June 2019, accessed 12 July 2019 (Dutch).
- Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand . In: StatLine . Centraal Bureau voor de Statistiek (Dutch)
- Eurostat yearbook of the regions 2014 : ( Chapter 5: Economy ; PDF, 18 pages, approx. 2.0 MB) and ( Eurostat source data for Chapter 5: Economy ; XLS format, approx. 536 kB), ISBN 978-92 -79-11695-7 , (English)
- Unemployment rate, by NUTS 2 regions. Retrieved November 5, 2018 .