Tezze sul Brenta
|Tezze sul Brenta|
|Residents||12,840 (Dec. 31, 2019)|
|Population density||714 inhabitants / km²|
|Patron saint||Vincent of Valencia (September 8th)|
The municipality is located on the eastern bank of the Brenta about 20 km northeast of Vicenza and about 9 km southwest of Bassano del Grappa . Tezze sul Brenta borders directly on the province of Padua . In the north are Cartigliano and Rosà , in the east Rossano Veneto , in the south Cittadella (Padova) and in the west the rivers Brenta and Cartigliano.
The municipality is located on the Brenta alluvial plain. Therefore, the height above sea level fluctuates only slightly and is between 70 and 72 m. The deepest point with 65 m is at the bridge to Friola , as the landscape descends towards the river valley.
First mentioned was Tezze, whose name goes back to a Venetian word that means barn (fieno = hay). The place became a commune in 1805 by a decree of Napoleon . In many cases, peasants fled from feudal lords and marauding soldiers to the difficult-to-access area, which was often affected by floods.
In 1405 the area came to the Republic of Venice and the settlement was added to the Argo Bassanese . The pasture economy that had prevailed up to that point was followed by the cultivation of wheat and wine as well as the breeding of silkworms . Corn was introduced around 1560 . On the road to Bigolina , Benedictines built the church of Santa Lucia, which was first mentioned in the 12th century. It was rebuilt in 1540 and contains the fresco Vergine e santi benedettini by Jacopo Bassano .
The end of the republic in 1797 and the multiple changes between French and Austrian rule initially prevented the rise to an independent commune. The Agro Bassanese was divided by a decree of Napoleon in 1805 and the communes Cassola, Rosà and Tezze were created.
In 1865 the place with its 304 families had 1,580 inhabitants. From 1870 to 1876 and from 1887 to 1892 Smania Gaetano was mayor (Sindaco), in 1926 the fascists appointed a Podestà for the first time , since 2009 the office of Sindaco Lago Valerio has held.
From 1974 to 2003 the electroplating company Tricom was located in the village, which contaminated considerable floor areas with chromium (Cr (VI)). In the town of Citadella, also affected, the extraction of drinking water from the local wells was prohibited.
Sons and daughters
- Adriano Tessarollo (* 1946), Catholic clergyman and bishop of Chioggia
- Ermenegildo Reati: Aspetti e momenti di vita religiosa a Tezze sul Brenta (1490-1945) , in: Una terra, un fiume, una comunità , Tezze sul Brenta 1990.
- Statistiche demografiche ISTAT. Monthly population statistics of the Istituto Nazionale di Statistica , as of December 31 of 2019.
- Gianni A. Cisotto (ed.): La visita pastorale di Giovanni Antonio Farina nella Diocesi di Vicenza 1864-1871 , Rome 1977, p. 45f.
- Francesca Decorosi: Studio di ceppi batterici per il biorisanamento di suoli contaminati da Cr (VI) , Firenze University Press, p. 8.