Arthurian epic in art, literature, music, film and computer games
Sorted alphabetically by surname:
20th and 21st centuries
- TA Barron : Merlin. (six books on Merlin's youth).
- Jessica Bernett: Elayne 1: Raven Child. Sternensand Verlag, 2018, ISBN 978-3-906829-77-7 ; Elayne 2: Raven Heart. Sternensand Verlag, 2019, ISBN 978-3-03896-031-7 ; Gawain: Light Falcon. Sternensand Verlag, 2020, ISBN 978-3-03896-125-3 .
- Marion Zimmer Bradley : The Mists of Avalon . (the story from the point of view of women who serve as priestesses on the secret island of Avalon Ceridwen, the Celtic goddess).
- Gillian Bradshaw : The Crown of Camelot , The Falcon of Light , The Kingdom of Summer , ISBN 3-548-25038-6 - (Arthurian novel trilogy).
- Gillian Bradshaw: The Horsemen of the Sarmatians. Goldmann, Munich 1992, ISBN 3-442-42429-1 (historical novel about the "prehistory" of the Arthurian myth, the settlement of heavily armored Sarmatian lancers in Roman service under Emperor Marc Aurel in Britain).
- Vera Chapman : The Green Knight. 1975 (German: The bride of the green knight. ISBN 3-423-20912-7 ); The King's Damsel. 1976 (German: Des Königs dunkle Botin. ISBN 3-423-20451-6 ); King Arthur's Daughter 1976 (German: King Artus' daughter. ISBN 3-423-20559-8 ) (Secretary and co-founder of the Tolkien Society, wrote the retelling at the suggestion of JRR Tolkien ).
- Susan Cooper : Winter Solstice. (Series of books for young people in five volumes).
- Bernard Cornwell : The Winter King. ISBN 3-442-36082-X ; The shadow lord. ISBN 3-7645-0005-0 ; Arthur's last vow. ISBN 3-442-35236-3 (trilogy in which a former warlord of Arthur writes the story; far from the romanticized legend, well-researched historical novel).
- Kevin Crossley-Holland : Artus - The magic mirror ; Arthur - Between the Worlds .
- Pierre Dietz: "King" Arthur and the secret of Avalon. ISBN 978-3-86841-235-2 .
- Tankred Dorst : Merlin or Das wüsten Land . Play, premiered in 1981.
- Jean-Louis Fetjaine : Elven Trilogy ( Before the Elf Twilight , 2001, ISBN 3-423-20842-2 / La crépuscule des elfes , 1999; The Night of the Elves , 2002, ISBN 3-423-20823-6 / La nuit des elfes , 2000; The hour of the elves , 2002, ISBN 3-423-24334-1 / L'heure des elfes , 2002); Merlin Dilogy ( The Magician's Path , 2004, ISBN 3-423-24409-7 / Le pas de Merlin , 2003; Merlin im Elfenwald , 2005, ISBN 3-423-24503-4 / Brocéliande , 2004)
- Parke Godwin : Camelot. ISBN 3-522-71565-9 (summary of his three novels Feuerkönig , Der tote König , In a foreign land : retelling of the Arthurian legend in the first- person form and Guinevere's story after Arthur's death in the first-person form).
- Norma Lorre Goodrich : The Knights of Camelot. CH Beck, 1994, ISBN 3-406-38171-5 .
- Wolfgang Hohlbein : The legend of Camelot. ISBN 3-8000-5166-4 (trilogy with the volumes Gralszauber , same sword and rune sign ).
- Helen Hollick : Arthur and Guinever. Heyne, 1996, ISBN 3-453-10806-X (also: Under the banner of Pendragons. Heyne 1997, ISBN 3-453-12498-7 ).
- Vladimir Hulpach : King Arthur and his Knights: Tales of the Round Table. Lentz, Munich 1988, ISBN 3-88010-174-4 .
- Carl Leberecht Immermann : Merlin. A myth. Düsseldorf 1832 (Drama about the search for the Grail and Merlin from the Romantic era, the subject of King Arthur undergoes a metaphysical heightening full of philosophical aspects.)
- J. Robert King : Merlin's Curse. 2003; Lancelot's revenge. 2004 (German editions ...).
- Stephen Lawhead : Pendragon Saga . (Arthur's cycle with the titles Taliesin , Merlin , Artus , Pendragon ; his book Avalon's Return is a loosely related novel that deals with Arthur's return to Great Britain).
- Auguste Lechner : King Arthur. The story of King Arthur, his mysterious advisor Merlin and the Knights of the Round Table. Tyrolia-Verlag, Innsbruck 1985 (retelling, based on Geoffrey von Monmouth ).
- CS Lewis : The Evil Power (English: That Hideous Strength )
- David Lodge : Small World: An Academic Romance. (Satirical novel with numerous motifs from the Arthurian legend, related to the humanities world of the present and its conference tourism; the scholars also discuss problems of the Arthurian legend, the doyen of literary studies is Arthur Kingfisher ).
- Richard Monaco : Parzival or: The Grail Search , Lohengrin or: The Grail War , Layala or: The Grail Trunk Bastei-Lübbe-Verlag
- Mary Pope Osborne : The magical tree house : The mysterious world of Merlin (episode / volume 27-30), 2006: Volume 27: On behalf of the Red Knight, ISBN 9783785556948 ; Volume 28: The Enchanted Haunted Castle, ISBN 9783785556931 ; Volume 29: The Mighty Magic Sword, ISBN 9783785556955 ; Volume 30: Under the Spell of the Ice Magician , ISBN 9783785556962
- Käthe Recheis : Käthe Recheis: King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table. Uccello-Verlag, 2007, ISBN 978-3-937337-28-9 ( audio book , 6 CDs, read by Johannes Steck).
- Dorothea Schlegel : Story of the Magician Merlin. Leipzig 1804.
- Peter Schwindt : Gwydion . (Children's book series in four volumes: Gwydion: The Road to Camelot. ISBN 3-473-34479-6 ; Gwydion: The Power of the Grail. ISBN 3-473-34486-9 ; Gwydion: King Arthur's Treason. ISBN 978-3-473 -34497-0 ; Gwydion: Merlin's Legacy. ISBN 978-3-473-34714-8 ).
- John Steinbeck : The Acts of King Arthur And His Noble Knights. Penguin Modern Classics, ISBN 0-14-118630-5 .
- Mary Stewart : Flaming Crystal ; The heir ; Merlin's farewell (cycle of novels that places the plot in the 5th century and largely strives for historical plausibility).
- Rosemary Sutcliff : Sword At Sunset. ISBN 0-8125-8852-5 (the Arthurian story as an autobiographical historical novel: Artus / Artos reports on his life as a warrior prince and emperor of Britain; the novel is part of the author's dolphin ring stories).
- Alfred Lord Tennyson : Königs-Idyllen (English: Idyls of the King ; epic poem).
- JRR Tolkien : King Arthur's Fall , Klett-Cotta, ISBN 978-3-608-96050-1 .
- Mark Twain : A Connecticut Yankee at King Arthur's court . Dtv, 2004, ISBN 3-423-12393-1 (first published 1889).
- TH White : The King on Camelot . 1958, ISBN 3-608-93713-7 (1st volume from which the Disney adaptation The Witch and the Wizard is known).
- Joan Wolf : The Way to Avalon. Goldmann, 1994, ISBN 3-442-42382-1 (touching story of the love of Arthur and Morgan and their lives).
- Persia Woolley : Ginevra, daughter of spring. Klett-Cotta, Stuttgart 2000, ISBN 3-608-93497-9 ; Ginevra, Queen under Star Klett-Cotta, Stuttgart 2001, ISBN 3-608-93498-7 ; Ginevra. Return to Camelot. Klett-Cotta, Stuttgart 2003, ISBN 3-608-93499-5 .
- 1970s: Arthur and the British (GB) - TV series with Oliver Tobias with a "realistic" picture of the time and the origin of the myths about the Celtic leader
- 1994: The Big Riddles: The Castle of the Holy Grail (NL / D / Can) - TV documentary by Roel Oostra
- 2000: Knight of the Round Table (D) - ZDF documentary
- 2000: In the Sign of the Holy Blood: King Arthur and the search for the Holy Grail (D) - ZDF documentary by Jens-Peter Behrend in the Sphinx series
- 2000: Die Kelten (GB / D) - 6-part TV documentary by Glyn Shakeshaft, especially the 4th part is about Arthur, Merlin and the Grail
- 2005: The Holy Grail (D) - 3-part documentary DVD by Susanne Aernecke and Michael Görden
- 2006: Myths & Heroes: King Arthur (GB) - BBC documentary with Michael Wood
- 2008: Arthur - The Invention of a King (D) - Documentary by Wilfried Hauke for ARTE
Feature film and television
- 1953: The Knights of the Round Table (GB, Director: Richard Thorpe ) - historical adventure film based on Thomas Malory's novel Le Morte d'Arthur (1485)
- 1963: Lancelot, the daring knight (GB, director: Cornel Wilde )
- 1967: Camelot - Am Hofe König Arthur (USA, Director: Joshua Logan ) - Film musical based on TH White's novel The Once and Future King (1958)
- 1974: Lancelot, Knight of the Queen (F, Director: Robert Bresson ) - drama between Lancelot and Guinevere
- 1975: The Knights of the Coconut (GB, directors: Terry Gilliam , Terry Jones ) - Comedy about Arthurian legend and the search for the Grail
- 1979: Merlin (D, director: Armin Dahlen ) - “The mysterious life of a magician”, 13-part German youth series by Justus Pfaue
- 1981: Excalibur (USA / GB, director: John Boorman ) - historical adventure film based on Thomas Malory's novel Le Morte d'Arthur (1485)
- 1984: Camelot - The Curse of the Golden Sword (GB, Director: Stephen Weeks ) - fantasy film based on the chivalric romance Sir Gawain and the Green Knight .
- 1989: Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (USA, Director: Steven Spielberg ) - Search for the Holy Grail
- 1995: The First Knight (USA, director: Jerry Zucker ) - love triangle between King Arthur, Guinevere and Lancelot
- 1998: A Knight in Camelot (USA, directed by Roger Young ) - comedy film
- 1998: Merlin (USA / GB, director: Steve Barron ) - TV adventure film from the point of view of Merlin
- 2001: Knight Jamal - A Black Comedy (USA, Director: Gil Junge ) - Comedy film
- 2001: The Mists of Avalon (USA / D / Czech Republic, director: Uli Edel ) - 2-part TV fantasy film based on Marion Zimmer Bradley's novel The Mists of Avalon (1982)
- 2004: King Arthur (USA, director: Antoine Fuqua ) - historical background of the Arthurian legend based on Lucius Artorius Castus and Sarmatians
- 2006: The Da Vinci Code - Da Vinci Code (USA, directed by Ron Howard ) - Thriller by Dan Brown's novel The Da Vinci Code (2004) for the Holy Grail, here as a legacy of Jesus
- 2006: Merlin 2 - The Last Wizard (USA, Director: David Wu ) - two-parter based on the TV movie Merlin (1998)
- 2007: The Last Legion (USA / GB / F) - Merlin's life before Arthur (in ancient Rome)
- 2008: Merlin - The New Adventure (GB) - Fantasy series about the magician Merlin as a teenager
- 2010: Duel der Magier (USA) - fantasy adventure film projected into the modern age
- 2010: The Daughter of Avalon (USA) - Disney Channel original film, based on the novel by Meg Cabot
- 2011: Camelot (GB / IRL / CAN) - TV drama series about the beginnings of King Arthur and Camelot
- 2015: Arthur and Merlin - fantasy film by Marco van Belle
- 2017: King Arthur: Legend of the Sword
Animation and comic
- from 1937: Prince Eisenherz (USA) - Hal Foster's newspaper comic is still being written and published today
- 1963: The Witch and the Wizard (USA) - Disney cartoon by Wolfgang Reitherman , based on TH White's novel The King on Camelot (1939)
- 1979: King Arthur (J) - Anime series by Toei Animation about Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table .
- 1996: The Once and Future Duck (USA, German 1996 in Mickey Mouse as The Journey into the 6th Century , later new translation as Lost in Camelot ) by Don Rosa . Donald Duck , his three nephews and the inventor Daniel Düsentrieb land in Celtic Britain by means of a time machine , meet Arturius Riothamus as the local tribal prince and his bard Myrddin and involuntarily create the template for various topoi of the Arthurian legend, such as the saints , using modern jet drive technology Grail or Excalibur.
- 1998: The Magic Sword - The Legend of Camelot (USA) - animated film by Warner Bros. based on Vera Chapman's novel The King's Damsel
- 2003: Soul Eater (J) - Manga and anime series in which the sacred sword Excalibur is an almighty weapon - and as a person an annoying, cheeky little man for the main characters.
- 2005: Fate / stay night (J) - Anime series and computer game with King Arthur as one of the main characters
- 2007: Shrek the Third (USA) - animation film, 3rd part of the Shrek film series: Shrek is looking for Arthur, who is to become the king of "Far Far Away", Merlin also has an appearance
- 2014: The Seven Deadly Sins (J) - Anime series from A-1 Pictures in which aspects of the Arthurian legend are recorded and Arthur is a supporting character.
In addition to film music for the films mentioned above, there is other music on the topic:
Opera and classical music
- 1691: Henry Purcell : King Arthur (Singspiel)
- 1882: Richard Wagner: Parsifal (musical drama)
- 1865: Richard Wagner : Tristan and Isolde (opera)
- 1885–1896: Ernest Chausson : Le roi Arthus (music drama)
- 1886: Karl Goldmark : Merlin (opera)
- 1905: Isaac Albéniz : Merlin (opera)
- 1908–1945: Rutland Boughton : Between 1908 and 1945 he dealt with a cycle of five musical dramas about the Arthurian legend. In 1909 the first opera The Birth of Arthur or Uther and Igraine was completed. The second part followed in 1916 with The Round Table , and 18 years later the third part, The Lily Maid, was performed; the last two parts Galahad and Avalon were created 1943–1945.
- 1916: George Templeton Strong : Le Roi Arthur (symphonic poem)
- 1991: Harrison Birtwistle : Gawain (opera)
- 1960: Frederick Loewe : Camelot (Musical)
- 1969: The Moody Blues : Are You Sitting Comfortably , on: On the Threshold of a Dream (concept album)
- 1975: Rick Wakeman : The myths and legends of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table ( concept album )
- 1981: Kayak : Merlin
- 1995: Blind Guardian : A Past and Future Secret und Mordreds Song , on: Imaginations from the Other Side ( Metal -Album)
- 1998: Alan Simon : Excalibur, la légende des Celtes ( folk-rock concept album, 1st part of a trilogy)
- 1999: Grave Digger : Excalibur (album, heavy metal interpretation of the Arthurian legend)
- 2007: Alan Simon : Excalibur, l'anneau des Celtes ( folk rock concept album, 2nd part of a trilogy)
- 2014: Gamma Ray : Avalon , on: Empire of the Undead
- 2014: Frank Wildhorn : Artus - Excalibur (Musical)
- Arthur: The Quest for Excalibur - text adventure from Infocom
- Citadels - real-time strategy game from Bitcomposer Entertainment
- Conquest of Camelot - Adventure by Sierra On-Line, 1990
- Dark Age of Camelot - MMORPG online game, set in the years after Arthur's death
- Glatisant - Live RPG set of rules set in Arthurian Britain
- Pendragon - RPG set of rules around the Arthurian myth
- Shadows over Camelot (Shadows over Camelot) - party game from the publisher Days of Wonder
- SMITE - King Arthur and Merlin have been added as playable " gods "
- Sonic and the Black Knight - Adventure and jump 'n' run computer game with Sonic in the time of the Arthurian saga
- Stronghold Legends - real-time strategy game from Firefly Studios
- Sword Legacy: Omen - computer game developed by Fableware Narrative Design and Fire Cast Studio - published by Team17 Digital Limited . Tells a version of Uther Pendragon's war against Gorlois .
- Tales - computer game developed by Ape Marina and published by Screen 7. Merlin is the key word for the main protagonist.
- Tomb Raider : Legend - computer game by Eidos Interactive: Lara Croft searches the world for parts of the Excalibur sword
- Rudolf Simek : Arthurian Lexicon. Myth and history, works and characters of European Arthurian poetry. Reclam, Stuttgart 2012, ISBN 978-3-15-010858-1 .
- Literature on Arthurian epic in the catalog of the German National Library .
- Wiki article: King Arthur. In: Television Tropes and Idioms. TV Tropes Foundation, accessed on December 8, 2014 (English, cross-linked topics and motifs about Arthur; 2004–2013).