|Historical region :||Sathmar|
|Time zone :||EET ( UTC +2)|
|Area :||235.73 km²|
|Residents :||123,738 (October 20, 2011)|
|Population density :||525 inhabitants per km²|
|Postal code :||430311|
|Telephone code :||(+40) 02 62|
|License plate :||MM|
|Structure and administration (as of 2016)|
|Community type :||Municipality|
|Mayor :||Cătălin Cherecheș (Coaliția pentru Baia Mare)|
|Postal address :||Str. Gh. Șincai nr. 37
loc. Baia Mare, jud. Maramureş, RO-430311
Baia Mare ( German Frauenbach or Groß-Neustadt , more rarely just Neustadt or Neustadtl , Hungarian Nagybánya ) is a city in northwest Romania and had about 124,000 inhabitants in 2011. It is the capital of Maramureș County .;
Baia Mare is located at an altitude of approx. 230 m on the western edge of the Eastern Carpathians not far from the Gutâi Mountains in the Depresiunea Baia Mare valley . The Săsar , a left tributary of the Lăpuș, flows through the city .
The proportion of the Hungarian minority is still very large (in 1992 it was 17.5%), but compared to the 1910 figures (Hungarians 64.8%, Romanians 33.7%, Germans 1.2%) it is strong decreased. In 1910, religious affiliation was distributed as follows: Greek Catholic 38.1%, Roman Catholic 34.7%, Calvinists 14.8%, Jews 10.9% (see Synagogue (Baia Mare) ), others 1.5%.
In 1920 Baia Mare had 12,780 inhabitants, 5,005 were Romanians, 4,652 Hungarians, 1,792 Jews, 1,232 Germans and 99 other ethnic groups.
In 1930 the Greek Catholic diocese of Maramureș was founded with its seat in Baia Mare. On October 28, 1948, Bishop Alexandru Rusu was deposed as bishop by the communist authorities and arrested. He died in Gherla Prison in 1963 .
On January 30, 2000, a dam broke in a dumping station for metallurgical waste in Baia Mare, which resulted in a serious environmental disaster through the release of sodium cyanide and heavy metals . Because of this event, Baia Mare was mentioned in a 2006 study by the Blacksmith Institute of the world's most polluted cities.
Baia Mare lists nine city partnerships :
|Hollywood||Florida, United States||2001||Sister city|
- Muzeul Satului din Baia Mare , ethnographic and open-air museum
- Mineralogy Museum
- Museum of Modern Art and Folklore
- Stefan Tower
- Butchers Storm ( Turnul Măcelarilor )
- Chimney of the Phoenix copper smelter (height: 351.5 meters)
sons and daughters of the town
- Dániel Csányi (1820–1867), Hungarian mathematician
- Józsi Jenő Tersánszky (1888–1969), Hungarian writer
- László Németh (1901–1975), Hungarian writer
- László Gergely (* 1941), Hungarian-Romanian football player
- Dora Cojocaru (* 1963), composer
- Rodica Dunca (* 1965), artistic gymnast
- Vasile Miriuță (* 1968), Hungarian-Romanian football player
- Mirela Pașca (* 1975), artistic gymnast
- Adrian Ghenie (* 1977), Romanian artist
- Paula Seling (* 1978), singer
- Clara G. (* 1979), porn actress
- Ovidiu Hoban (* 1982), football player
- Paul Muntean (* 1984), bobsledder
- Cristian Bud (born 1985), football player
- Mihai Pop (* 1985), handball player
- Claudiu Bumba (* 1994), football player
- Nagybánya , in: Guy Miron (Ed.): The Yad Vashem encyclopedia of the ghettos during the Holocaust . Jerusalem: Yad Vashem, 2009 ISBN 978-965-308-345-5 , p. 511
- 2011 census in Romania at citypopulation.de
- elections 2016 in Romania ( MS Excel ; 256 kB)
- Wilhelm Edler von Janko : Lazarus Freiherr von Schwendi, supreme field captain and councilor of Emperor Maximilian II based on the original files of the KK Haus-Hof- und Staats-Archives, the archives of the KK ministries of the interior, finance and war . Vienna: Braumüller 1871, p. 140, full text in the Google book search. Reprint of this edition: Freiburg / Brsg .: Echo-Verlag 2000
- ERDÉLY ETNIKAI ÉS FELEKEZETI STATISZTIKÁJA .
- Blacksmith Institute 2006, accessed December 5, 2009 ( January 10, 2010 memento in the Internet Archive )
- Cel mai mare gulas din lume. cartearecordurilor.ro, October 8, 2014, accessed August 25, 2020 (Romanian).
- Largest bowl of goulash. guinnessworldrecords.de, September 29, 2007, accessed on August 25, 2020 (English).
- Oraşe Înfrățite. Retrieved January 26, 2020 .
- Orașe înfrățite cu Baia Mare ( Memento from August 16, 2012 in the Internet Archive )
- Information on Dániel Csányi at oszk.hu (Hungarian)
- Józsi Jenö Tersánszky at hunlit.hu (Hungarian)