|Historical region :||Great Wallachia|
|Time zone :||EET ( UTC +2)|
|Area :||50.40 km²|
|Residents :||79,610 (October 20, 2011)|
|Population density :||1,580 inhabitants per km²|
|Postal code :||130xxx|
|Telephone code :||(+40) 02 45|
|License plate :||DB|
|Structure and administration (as of 2016)|
|Community type :||Municipality|
|Structure :||1 District / cadastral municipality: Priseaca|
|Mayor :||Daniel-Cristian Stan ( PSD )|
|Postal address :||St. Revoluției nr. 1-3
loc. Târgovişte, jud. Dâmbovița, RO-130011
The first known mention of the city was in 1396 by the Bavarian crusader Johannes Schiltberger . The first document in the form of a handwritten letter to the monastery of Tismana was created by Mircea cel Bătrân (Mircea the Elder, 1386-1418).
In Târgovişte was Vlad III. Drăculea enthroned in 1456. In 1499, the Wallachian prince Radu cel Mare (Radu the Great) rebuilt the mountain church of Saint Nicolae, but it was not consecrated until 1514 under the reign of Prince Neagoe Basarab . Today it is known as the Dealu Monastery .
Prince Matei Basarab (1632–1654) repaired the city wall , renovated the old churches and also built some new places of worship. Târgovişte was the capital of Wallachia until 1659, and it was the seat of a prince until 1714.
The leader of the 1821 revolution, Tudor Vladimirescu , was executed in front of the Mitropoliei Church. In the course of the following years, the city lost its great importance as the political and social center of the country, so that today only the charm of a former royal seat of the princes remains.
The station Targoviste is located near railroad tracks Titu-Pietrosita and Targoviste-Ploiesti ; Passenger trains run to Pietroșița via Fieni and to București Nord via Titu . Furthermore, there is the Nordbahnhof (which is no longer served by passenger traffic) as well as the station for Teiș and the Romlux hc stop , which is named after a local lamp manufacturer , in the urban area .
- Theodor Stolojan (born October 24, 1943), politician
- Cornel Dinu (born August 2, 1948), football player and coach
- George Balint (born February 11, 1961), composer, conductor and pianist
- Iulian Chiriță (born February 2, 1967), football player
- Laurențiu Reghecampf (born September 19, 1975), football player
- Bogdan Pătraşcu (born May 7, 1979), football player
- Claudiu Voiculeț (born August 8, 1985), football player
- Cosmin Matei (born September 30, 1991), football player
Târgoviște lists ten twin cities :
- Târgoviște at ghidulprimariilor.ro
- Illustration by Johan Sibmacher from 1665: Abris Der Belegrvng Tergovist Vnd The Battle So Vom Er (?) Von Sibenbvrgn Done, Ano 1595 Mense Octob. ( Digitized version )
- 2011 census in Romania at citypopulation.de
- elections 2016 in Romania ( MS Excel ; 256 kB)
- Relaţiile de cooperare / înfrăţire cu Municipiul Târgovişte. Retrieved April 11, 2020 .
- Plan Ordine Publica 2014-2015 HCL 110 - pmtgv.ro. Retrieved April 11, 2020 .