|Jens Heppner 2010|
|Date of birth||December 23, 1964|
|Racing weight||68 kilograms|
|To the team|
|Current team||End of career|
BSG Electronics Gera
SG Wismut Gera
|Most important successes|
|Team (s) as team manager|
Team NetApp .
|Last updated: October 12, 2019|
His first successes were the victories in the ranking for the best young rider (white jersey) at the GDR tours in 1984 and 1985. Heppner, who started cycling in 1974 at BSG Elektronik Gera and then in the training group for SG Wismut Gera started by Werner Marschner , drove for the Telekom team from 1992 to 2002 . During this time he took part in the great tours of the Tour de France and Giro d'Italia several times . In the 1992 Tour de France, the 10th place in the overall standings was also part of the team in which Bjarne Riis won the Tour in 1996 and Jan Ullrich in 1997 . His greatest career success was the overall ranking of the Germany Tour in 1999 . At the Giro d'Italia 2002 he conquered the overall leader's Maglia Rosa on the 6th stage as a member of a breakaway group, which he wore for 10 days. From 2003 to 2005 he was under contract with Team Wiesenhof . On August 24, 2005 he drove his final race in Jena , which he won in the sprint just ahead of his former teammate Jan Ullrich. Almost the entire German cycling elite was present at the race.
Heppner was then the sporting director of the Wiesenhof-Felt team until the team was dissolved at the end of October 2007 . He also worked as a cycling expert for the sports broadcaster Eurosport , where he commented on the Tour de France, among other things. The broadcaster justified its decision not to use Heppner's services on the 2007 tour by stating that, due to his previous membership in the Telekom Team, which was involved in a doping scandal , it could not be assumed that Heppner would appear impartial and offer all his knowledge of doping as an expert.
From 2009 to 2013 Jens Heppner was the sports director at Team NetApp . On July 24, 2013, the Anti-Doping Commission of the French Senate published the results of a subsequent investigation of doping samples from 1998. Heppner's EPO was detected in a doping sample . Since the investigations were scientific analyzes and no B-samples were available for control, these results had no consequences under sports law. At the end of July 2013, following the publication of the French doping test in July 2013, Heppner was released from his duties as sporting director for the NetApp-Endura team "by mutual agreement" with the team management.
- Junior world champion street foursome 1982
- Overall ranking and one stage of the Hesse Tour 1987
- Overall ranking Saxony Tour 1987
- GDR road champion 1990
- 10th overall Tour de France 1992
- Third Amstel Gold Race 1993
- German professional champion 1994
- Overall ranking and one stage Tour de Limousin 1994
- one stage and second overall regional tour in 1996
- a stage Tour de France 1998
- Overall ranking Germany Tour 1999
- Around Cologne 1999
- a stage Germany Tour 2000
- 10 days Maglia Rosa Giro d'Italia 2002
In 1997, as part of his team, Heppner received the Bambi media and television prize.
- Jens Heppner , in Internationales Sportarchiv 10/2006 from March 11, 2006 (br), in the Munzinger archive ( beginning of article freely available)
- German Cycling Association of the GDR (ed.): The cyclist . No. 18/1987 . Berlin 1987, p. 2 .
- The ten pink days of "Grandpa" Heppner. radsport-news.com, May 19, 2017, accessed May 19, 2017 .
- radsport-news.com of June 25, 2007: Eurosport does without Heppner on tour
- radsport-news.com of July 24, 2013: Heppner also doped on the 1998 Tour
- radsport-news.com of July 25, 2013: UCI criticizes anti-doping report by the French Senate
- radsport-news.com from July 30, 2013: NetApp-Endura parted ways with sports director Heppner
- Rainer Kraus, Rudolf Blaha: The world has pedals and friends who pedal them . Delius Klasing, Bielefeld 2016, ISBN 978-3-667-10706-0 , p. 136 .
- Florian Nowak: [Interview] What is Jens Heppner actually doing? - Velomotion. In: velomotion.de. January 3, 2017, accessed May 21, 2020 .
- Official website
- Jens Heppner in the Tour de France database(French / English )
- Jens Heppner in the Radsportseiten.net database
- Jens Heppner as sporting director in the Radsportseiten.net database
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German cyclist and sports director|
|DATE OF BIRTH||December 23, 1964|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Gera|