|Danilo Hondo (2014)|
|Date of birth||4th January 1974 (age 46)|
|discipline||Train / street|
|Driver type||Chaser / Sprinter|
|End of career||2014|
Team Tinkoff Credit Systems
Serramenti PVC Diquigiovanni-Androni Giocattoli
PSK Whirlpool-Author (from April 1st)
Lampre - Farnese Vini
Lampre - ISD
RadioShack - Leopard
Trek Factory Racing
|Most important successes|
|Team (s) as coach|
|2015-2019||Road national team Switzerland|
|Last updated: October 8, 2019|
His greatest successes as a driver included a track world championship in the team pursuit , two stage wins at the Giro d'Italia and the German road championship . Because of a positive doping control in 2005 he was banned for two years. He ended his active career at the end of the 2014 season. From 2015 he worked as a national coach in Switzerland until he admitted blood doping at the end of his career as a driver in 2019 .
At the beginning of his career, Hondo was particularly successful on the track . He won his first championship title in 1988 at the GDR youth track championships in points racing and in team pursuit. At the UCI Track World Championships in Palermo in 1994 , he was world champion in team pursuit together with Guido Fulst , Jens Lehmann and Andreas Bach . As an amateur he started for SC Cottbus , where Michael Max was his trainer (who also trained him again from 2001).
In 1997 he joined the Agro-Adler Brandenburg road cycling team and was able to win numerous sections of international stage races, primarily in sprints, including a. one stage of the Peace Tour in 1998 and five stages of the Lower Saxony Tour in the same year .
From 1999 to 2003 he was a member of the Telekom Team and won seven more stages of the Peace Tour during this time. At the Giro d'Italia 2001 he contested his first major tour of the country and won two stages in the sprint against the Italian top sprinter Mario Cipollini . He also won the German Road Championships in 2002 in the sprint .
In 2004 Hondo switched to the Gerolsteiner team and again won several stages and the Italian one-day GP Beghelli race . On the Tour of Murcia , he won two stages, one in the sprint and one in the individual time trial . In the subsequent classic Milan-San Remo , he finished second behind sprint winner Alessandro Petacchi . On April 1, 2005 it was announced that two A samples from the Tour of Murcia tested positive for Carphedon , whereupon he was suspended from his crew.
Comeback and end of career
In 2008 Hondo was signed by the Italian professional Continental Team Serramenti PVC Diquigiovanni and won his first race after his doping ban with the fourth stage of the Tour de Langkawi . In the 2010 to 2012 seasons he drove for the ProTeam Lampre, where he developed into the most important helper for sprinter Alessandro Petacchi , for whom he acted as a driver when he won the green jersey in the 2010 Tour de France . At the end of 2014, Hondo ended his career with the Trek Factory Racing team , where he also supported the team's young sprinters in particular.
On June 2, 2005, the Swiss Cycling Federation imposed a one-year doping ban. The Union Cycliste Internationale and the World Anti-Doping Agency appealed against this to the International Court of Justice for Sports (CAS) . Danilo Hondo, who wanted to obtain a full acquittal, also appealed. The CAS canceled the decision of the Swiss Association on January 10, 2006 and decided on a two-year ban until April 1, 2007.
On March 17, 2006, the Swiss Federal Supreme Court completely lifted the ban imposed by the CAS as part of a temporary injunction pending the final court decision. This was the first case in sports history that an ordinary court lifted a doping ban imposed by the International Court of Justice. Hondo was therefore able to drive for the German Continental Lamonta in 2006 and repeatedly won stages in small tours in the following months. At the end of the season he was in second place in the overall ranking of the UCI Europe Tour 2006 behind Nico Eeckhout .
After the suspension that had been lifted before the Supreme Court of Arbitration of the Canton of Vaud was put into effect again on May 24, 2006 at the request of WADA and was suspended again by the Swiss Federal Court on June 6, 2006, the Swiss Federal Court decided on January 14, 2007 finally against Hondo. The UCI finally decided on May 22, 2007 that the suspension, which originally expired on March 31, 2007, should be extended to January 24, 2008 by the period during which the suspension was out of order due to interim injunctions, against which Hondo did not appeal any further.
The difficulty of this doping procedure was that the active ingredient found, carphedon, was only found in small quantities and Hondo won a stage the day before the positive test and was tested negative. However, in the opinion of the Heidelberg molecular biologist Werner Franke , who is known as a critic of professional cycling, the concentration on the day of the positive test was too low to have a performance-enhancing effect, which is why the thesis is a result of contamination (contamination) by food or drinks consumed by Danilo Hondo has been.
Activity as a trainer
In December 2014, the Swiss cycling association, Swiss Cycling , announced that Danilo Hondo will become the new Swiss U23 national trainer on January 1st, 2015. Hondo has lived in Ticino for many years . On July 20, 2016, Hondo confirmed on request that he would act as Swiss national coach after the Summer Olympics . In December 2016, the association announced that Hondo would succeed the Italian Luca Guercilena , Sports Director of Trek-Segafredo , as a coach for the elite and the U23.
On May 12, 2019, Hondo first confessed to journalist Hajo Seppelt , and then to the public, that he had been treated with blood doping by the German sports doctor Mark Schmidt since 2011, when he was 37 years old at the time. He was released from Swiss Cycling with immediate effect.
Grand Tour placements
|Tour de France||-||104||-||106||-||-||-||-||-||135||109||86||-||-|
|Vuelta a España||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||108||-||-||-||-|
- 1998, 1999, 2001 Sportsman of the Year of Brandenburg
- Danilo Hondo's company website
- Former website of Danilo Hondo ( Memento of February 16, 2015 in the Internet Archive )
- Danilo Hondo in the ProCyclingStats.com database
- Danilo Hondo in the Radsportseiten.net database
- Danilo Hondo in the farewell interview: “I had great years in cycling” on rad-net.de from October 1, 2014.
- Hajo Seppelt : Danilo Hondo's Confession - The Complete Interview. In: ARD- Sportschau , May 12, 2019 ( video, 30 min ).
- German Cycling Association of the GDR (ed.): The cyclist . No. 32/1988 . Berlin, S. 3 .
- Kurt Lorenz GmbH (ed.): Tour . No. 06/2001 . Starnberg, S. 15 .
- radsport-news.com from May 22, 2001: Danilo Hondo wins his second Giro stage
- radsport-news.com from July 1, 2002: Master Hondo on the tour debut "Wasserträger" for Zabel
- radsport-news.com from March 3, 2005: Hondo also wins the time trial
- radsport-news.com from April 1, 2005: Gerolsteiner suspends Hondo
- radsport-news.com from July 26th 2010: Hondo had to convince Petacchi of green
- radsport-news.com of November 2, 2014: Still worth gold in the farewell season for the Trek team
- radsport-news.com from January 10, 2006: Hondo before the end of his career
- radsport-news.com of March 17th, 2006: Hondos doping ban lifted
- radsport-news.com of May 24, 2006: Danilo Hondo is blocked again with immediate effect
- radsport-news.com of June 6, 2006: Hondo: The madness continues!
- radsport-news.com of January 14, 2007: Hondo has to serve the rest of his suspension
- radsport-news.com from May 22, 2007: Hondo will accept the remaining suspension
- Tour - The racing bike magazine. Issue 6, June 2006, p. 139.
- Hondo becomes Swiss U23 national coach. radsport-news.com, December 12, 2014, accessed December 12, 2014 .
- Hondo new Swiss national coach. rad-net.de, December 13, 2016, accessed December 14, 2016 .
- Hajo Seppelt: Enemies of Sport . Econ, Berlin 2019, ISBN 978-3-430-21011-9 , pp. 350 ff .
- 2005 already banned for doping - Cottbus ex-cyclist Danilo Hondo admits blood doping (May 12, 2019)
- Doping in Erfurt - Hondo is the next German customer (May 12, 2019)
- After confession of doping - Swiss Cycling releases national coach Hondo with immediate effect (May 12, 2019)
- Sportsman of the Year - Landessportbund Brandenburg. In: lsb-brandenburg.de. February 3, 2018, accessed November 22, 2019 .
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German racing cyclist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||4th January 1974|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Wilhelm-Pieck-Stadt Guben , Cottbus district , GDR|