|University tree||Rain tree|
|founding||1911 - Civil Service College
1917 - Chulalongkorn University
|place||Bangkok ( Pathumwan District )|
The Chulalongkorn University ( Thai จุฬาลงกรณ์ มหาวิทยาลัย , RTGS Chulalongkon Maha Witthayalai ; named after King Chulalongkorn ; colloquially just "Chula") in Bangkok is the oldest and one of the most renowned universities in Thailand . It was founded on March 26, 1917 by King Vajiravudh (Rama VI) .
The university was founded in 1871, when a school was founded in the buildings of the royal pages of the Great Palace , in 1882 the school was further developed by King Chulalongkorn and was given the name Suan Kulap ("rose garden"; see also Suankularb -Wittayalai School ). In 1902, the name of the school was changed to Royal Pag school under Prince Damrong Rajanubhab , the younger brother of King Chulalongkorn . The school as well as the country continued to develop and King Vajiravudh saw it as important to create new subjects and to adapt the school to the development of the country, globalization and economic development. Law, international relations and medicine courses have been established. On January 1, 1911, King Vajiravudh raised the status of the school to the first institute for higher education in Thailand, at the same time the Royal Pag school was renamed the Civil Service College of King Chulalongkorn . The institution received its university status and its current name on March 26, 1917.
During the Second World War (in Southeast Asia 1941-1945) the general operation of the university was severely disrupted, also as a result of a great flood in Bangkok in 1942 and the subsequent occupation of Bangkok by the Japanese, who seized some of the buildings.
On August 13, 1954, the first cooperation agreement was signed with a western university, the University of Texas , USA. Today there is a large number of worldwide contacts, also to Europe and Germany.
The Graduate School was established in 1961, and the Research Center and various institutes were built in the following years.
The university comprises 42 scientific institutions, 39,006 students were enrolled in 2011, 24,951 of them in bachelor's degree programs, 10,881 in master’s degree programs and 2,510 in doctoral degree programs. In 2011 the university employed 8,066 people. Since the beginning, great importance has been attached to student self-administration. In 2003 about 28,000 students studied at the university, the number of academic staff was just under 3,000. The university is considered to be one of the best in the country, but the "Chula" reputation has also been achieved internationally. President of the university is Bundhit Eua-arporn.
Chulalongkorn University is in a traditional rivalry with the other leading university in Bangkok, Thammasat University . Every year in January, the two academies compete in the traditional Chula Thammasat game , which is played in the Suphachalasai Stadium .
|Faculties (as of 2012)||Faculties (as of 2012)|
The "Chula" has a large number of international partnerships with universities and institutes.
In Germany these are:
- Goethe University Frankfurt
- Eberhard Karls University of Tübingen
- EBS University of Economics and Law
- Ludwig-Maximilians-University Munich
- Technical University of Hamburg-Harburg
- University of Bremen
- University of Mannheim
- Macromedia University for Media and Communication
- Ercole Manfredi , lecturer at the Faculty of Architecture
- Wichit Wichitwathakan , lecturer in history and law
- ML Pin Malakul , lecturer in mathematics, Thai and English, head of the demonstration school, founder of the university's preparatory school
- Thanin Kraivichien , lecturer in law
- MR Sukhumbhand Paribatra , Director of the Institute for Security and International Studies at the Faculty of Political Science
- Charles Elworthy , visiting professor at the Interdisciplinary Institute for European Studies
- Frederic Tournemaine, visiting professor for economics, especially Economic Growth, Industrial Organization
- Sothitorn Mallikamas, Chairperson EBA (Economics) and Professor of Economics
- Thomya Wongcharoen, Director EBA
- Chantal Herberholz, Professor of Economics, especially Int. Finance
- Daniel Ray Lewis, lecturer in the Faculty of Economics
- Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn (* 1955)
- Princess Sirivannavari Nariratana (* 1987)
- Banjong Pisanthanakun , director, screenwriter
- Binlah Sonkalagiri , writer (* 1965)
- Chai-anan Samudavanija , political scientist (* 1944)
- Haruehun Airry , photographer (* 1986)
- Jit Phumisak , linguist, historian, author (1930–1966)
- Kittiratt Na-Ranong , politician (* 1958)
- Sayombhu Mukdeeprom , cameraman, (* 1970)
- Somsak Kiatsuranont , politician (* 1954)
- Songyos Sugmakanan, director (* 1974)
- Surakiart Sathirathai , diplomat, politician (* 1958)
- Thida Thavornseth , political activist (* 1944)
- Virachai Virameteekul , politician (* 1967)
|QS Asia (2016)||1|
|QS World (2018)||1|
|QS GER (2017)||1|
|THE World (2016)||2|
|Nature Index (2016)||1|
|UI Green Metric (2015)||1|
|QS Asia (2016)||45|
|QS World (2018)||245|
|QS GER (2017)||151-200|
|THE World (2016)||601-800|
|UI Green Metric (2015)||30th|
In the QS World ranking of 2018, Chulalongkorn University was ranked 245th in the world (the first in Thailand)
In the QS Asia ranking from 2016, Chulalongkorn University was ranked 45th in Asia (the first in Thailand)
In the QS Graduate Employability rankings from 2017, Chulalongkorn University was ranked 151-200. the world (the first in Thailand)
In the 2016 CWUR, Chulalongkorn University was ranked 320th in the world (the first in Thailand)
In the 2016 CWTS, Chulalongkorn University was ranked 432nd in the world (the first in Thailand)
- Office of the Registrar, Chulalongkorn University: Statistics on Students in Different Level. 17th January 2013.
- History of the University
- Awards. Archived from the original on March 28, 2013 ; accessed on November 28, 2015 .
- List of IAU Members. In: iau-aiu.net. International Association of Universities, accessed August 18, 2019 .
- AUN Member Universities. In: www.aunsec.org. ASEAN University Network, 2012, accessed August 24, 2019 .
- Faculty of Economics
- Partnerships ECON (PDF; 84 kB). (PDF) Archived from the original on June 30, 2014 ; accessed on November 28, 2015 . and Int. Partnerships (PDF; 203 kB). (PDF) Archived from the original on January 17, 2013 ; accessed on November 28, 2015 .
- Members of the EBA
- QS University Rankings: Asia 2016 . June 8, 2016.
- QS World University Rankings 2018 . In: Top Universities . June 5, 2017 ( topuniversities.com [accessed June 14, 2017]).
- Graduate Employability Rankings 2016 . In: Top Universities , November 17, 2016.
- CWUR 2016 | Top Universities in Thailand . In: cwur.org .
- Super User: RANKINGS . In: roundranking.com .
- Center for Science and Technology Studies (CWTS): CWTS Leiden Ranking 2016 ( en ) In: CWTS Leiden Ranking 2016 .
- World University Rankings . September 30, 2015.
- 2016 tables: Institutions | 2016 tables | Institutions | Nature Index . In: www.natureindex.com .
- Overall Ranking 2015 | Greenmetric UI . In: greenmetric.ui.ac.id .