Casal di Principe
|Casal di Principe|
|Local name||Casal 'e Prencepe|
|Coordinates||41 ° 1 ' N , 14 ° 8' E|
|Residents||21,613 (Dec. 31, 2019)|
|Population density||940 inhabitants / km²|
|Patron saint||Maria SS. Preziosa (September 12)|
Casal di Principe is a town with 21,613 inhabitants (as of December 31, 2019) in the province of Caserta , Campania region in southern Italy . The place is about 20 kilometers northwest of the city center of Naples and is about 10 kilometers from the Mediterranean coast.
The place has gained national fame mainly through its connection to the criminal organization Camorra . The author Roberto Saviano estimates that 44 percent of the residents of Casal di Principe have a criminal record for Paragraph 416/2: "Forming a mafia-like association". In his bestseller Gomorra - Journey into the Camorra Empire , Saviano devotes a whole chapter to the events in Casal di Principe and the trial of Camorra boss Francesco Schiavone , known as "Sandokan", and other clan bosses. Casal di Principe is the center of power for the Camorra, who mainly control the cement and cocaine trade from there.
The priest Giuseppe Diana , born in Casal di Principe , campaigned against the Camorra and the Omertà and was involved in various social projects. At Christmas 1991 he had the document Per amore del mio popolo non tacerò (“For the love of my people I will not be silent”) distributed in all the churches of Casal di Principe and the surrounding area , in which he expressed his displeasure with the lawless situation expressed in Casal di Principe. On March 19, 1994, his name day, he was murdered by the Camorra in the sacristy of his church in Casal di Principe.
sons and daughters of the town
- Angelo Scalzone (1931–1987), marksman
- Francesco Schiavone (* 1953), Mafioso
- Mario Caterino (* 1954), mafioso
- Nicola Cosentino (* 1959), politician
- Roberto Saviano : Gomorrah: Journey into the realm of the Camorra . Carl Hanser Verlag, Munich 2007, ISBN 978-3-446-20949-7 ( review of the MDR ).
- Nanni Balestrini: Sandokan: Storia di Camorra . Einaudi, Turin, 2004, ISBN 978-88-06-16892-6 (Italian).
German edition: Sandokan: A Camorra story . Translated by Max Henninger. Association A, 2006, ISBN 978-3-935936-55-2 .
- ↑ Statistiche demografiche ISTAT. Monthly population statistics of the Istituto Nazionale di Statistica , as of December 31 of 2019.
- ↑ "You damn bastards, I'm still alive!" In: Spiegel Online , August 16, 2007