The Raimundtheater (own spelling Raimund Theater ) is a theater in Vienna's 6th district of Mariahilf in Wallgasse 18-20, which today belongs to the United Theaters in Vienna and mainly serves as a venue for musicals . The renovation and conversion was completed at the end of May 2021.
The theater, named after the Austrian playwright Ferdinand Raimund , was founded in 1893 by an association of 500 citizens of the Mariahilf district, built according to designs by the architect Franz Roth (1841–1909) and, fully electrically lit, on November 28, 1893 (first performance on November 27, 1893) ceremoniously opened with Raimund's magic game Die gefesselte Phantasie ( prologue written by Alfred von Berger )
Until 1896 the theater was under the direction of Adam Müller-Guttenbrunn . He and his artistic advisor Hermann Bahr turned the theater into a speaking stage with classic folk plays that were supposed to counterbalance the upper-class “operetta decadence”. Alexander Girardi , Eleonora Duse , Max Reinhardt , Louise Dumont and Adele Sandrock performed here.
In 1907 the Jewish director and theater director Sigmund Lautenburg (1851–1918) took over the management of the Raimund Theater, but only for a short time. He commissioned Carl Otto Czeschka to design the sets and costumes for a new production of the play " The Nibelungs " by Friedrich Hebbel . The performance was not performed for various reasons, but a direct result of Czeschka's intensive preoccupation with the Nibelung theme for the Raimund Theater were the drawings that served as the basis for the small book "Die Nibelungen" published by Gerlach & Wiedling.
Under director Wilhelm Karczag , the operetta found its way from 1908 , for example through the in-house production “ Der Zigeunerbaron ” by Johann Strauss in 1908 or Robert Stolz 's “Glücksmädel” and the Dreimäderlhaus based on Franz Schubert's music . From 1921 to 1924 mainly speaking pieces were played again under director Rudolf Beer .
After 1945, under Rudolf Marik (1900–1976), who ran the house from 1948 to 1976, the operetta with Johannes Heesters , Marika Rökk , Zarah Leander and other well-known actors and singers reached a climax. Many famous actors began their careers at the Raimund Theater , such as Hansi Niese , Paula Wessely , Attila Hörbiger and Karl Skraup .
The festival premiere on May 23, 1969 was the operetta Giuditta by Franz Lehár , in which Gretl Schörg (1914–2006) made another brilliant appearance before she withdrew completely from stage life a little later.
After 1976 musicals were played sporadically. In 1984 and 1985 the theater was completely renovated. Since 1987 it has belonged to the United Bühnen Wien (GmbH) together with the Theater an der Wien and the Ronacher and has since been mainly a venue for musicals .
Well-known musicals in German such as Die Schöne und das Biest with Ethan Freeman and Caroline Vasicek in the leading roles, Tanz der Vampire with Steve Barton and Cornelia Zenz , Wake Up with Alexander Goebel and Rainhard Fendrich and, most recently, Barbarella with Nina Proll in the The title role and Eva-Maria Marold both had their world premieres at the Raimund Theater . In February 2005, the German-language premiere of Romeo and Juliet with Lukas Perman and Marjan Shaki in the two title roles took place. Other roles included Carin Filipčić as wet nurse, Mark Seibert as Tybalt, Rasmus Borkowski as Mercutio and Mathias Edenborn as Benvolio and Thomas Mülner as Count Paris.
The musical Elisabeth was played on the occasion of his 20th birthday from 2012 to 2014. Four LED translation boards were installed in the hall , on which the pieces have since been translated into English.
The Nestroy Theater Prize , initiated in 2000, was awarded for the first time in 2011 in the Raimund Theater .
The Raimund Theater will hold 1,400 seats after renovation. So far there have been 1,195 seats and 40 standing places, but that could vary from production to production.
In March 2018, the culture committee of the Vienna City Council decided to provide 12.76 million euros for the renovation of the theater. The theater has been closed for renovation work for around 14 months since June 17, 2019, the reopening was originally planned for autumn 2020 with the musical Miss Saigon . In June 2020 the reopening was postponed to January 2021. In October 2020 it was announced that the premiere had been postponed again to autumn 2021. On September 26, 2021, the Raimund Theater reopened with the "WE ARE MUSICAL - The Great Opening Gala". The premiere of Miss Saigon will take place on December 3, 2021.
World premieres operetta / singspiel
- Der Kellermeister , operetta by Carl Zeller , on December 21, 1901
- Das Glücksmädel , operetta by Robert Stolz , October 28, 1910
- The circus child , operetta by Edmund Eysler , on February 18, 1911
- Casimir's Ascension , operetta by Bruno Granichstaedten , December 25, 1911
- The Dreimäderlhaus , operetta by Heinrich Berté , on January 15, 1916
- The old song , operetta by Bruno Granichstaedten , December 21, 1918
- Love is about , operetta by Robert Stolz, on June 22, 1922
- The mine . Drama by Hans Kaltneker , February 6, 1923
- Das Schwalbennest , operetta by Bruno Granichstaedten , September 2, 1926
- The rider of the empress , operetta by August Pepöck , on April 30, 1941
- Bel Ami , musical by Peter Kreuder , on May 25, 1960
- The Virgin of Paris , operetta by Friedrich Schröder , December 19, 1969
World premieres musical
|musical||Music and book||premiere||Kidney||Performances / visitors||additional information|
|dance of the Vampires||Jim Steinman , Michael Kunze||4th October 1997||January 15, 2000||677 performances / 805,000 visitors||Roman Polanski directed it himself|
|Wake up||Rainhard Fendrich||September 29, 2002||January 1, 2004|
|Barbarella||Dave Stewart , Rudi Klausnitzer||March 11, 2004||January 1, 2005|
|Rebecca||Michael Kunze , Sylvester Levay||September 28, 2006||December 31, 2008||405,000 visitors||from January to June 2008 interrupted by We Will Rock You|
|Rudolf||Frank Wildhorn , Jack Murphy||February 26, 2009||January 24, 2010||210 performances / 180,984 visitors||German-language premiere / world premiere of the Viennese version, co-production with Operettenhaus Budapest|
|Schikaneder||Stephen Schwartz , Christian Struppeck||September 30, 2016||June 21, 2017||216 performances + 8 previews / approx. 180,000 visitors|
|I am from Austria||Rainhard Fendrich , Christian Struppeck , Titus Hoffman||16th September 2017||June 16, 2019||462 performances + 5 previews / 500,000 visitors||With the songs by Rainhard Fendrich|
Further musical performances
|musical||Music and book||premiere||Kidney||Performances / visitors||additional information|
|A chorus line||Marvin Hamlisch , Michael Bennett||October 16, 1987||July 1, 1988||225 performances / 235,000 visitors||Austrian premiere|
|Les Misérables||Alain Boublil , Claude-Michel Schoenberg||September 15, 1988||March 31, 1990||400 performances / 420,000 visitors||German-language premiere|
|Phantom of the opera||Andrew Lloyd Webber||June 9, 1990||June 30, 1993||1,363 performances / 1.4 million visitors||previously from December 1988 to June 1990 at the Theater an der Wien , German-language premiere|
|Rocky Horror Show||Richard O'Brien||September 7, 1993||October 26, 1993||seven-week interlude, not by the VBW|
|Kiss the spider woman||John Kander , Fred Ebb||November 23, 1993||June 30, 1994||German-language premiere|
|Grease||Warren Casey , Jim Jacobs||September 28, 1994||June 30, 1995||265 performances / approx. 300,000 visitors||German-language premiere|
|Disney's Beauty and the Beast||Alan Menken , Howard Ashman , Tim Rice||Sept. 28, 1995||June 29, 1997||560 performances / approx. 600,000 visitors||European premiere|
|Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat||Andrew Lloyd Webber||March 3, 2000||January 14, 2001||236 performances / approx. 251,000 visitors||Austrian premiere|
|Hair||Galt MacDermot , Gerome Ragni , James Rado||March 10, 2001||June 30, 2002||385 performances / approx. 395,000 visitors||Austrian premiere|
|Romeo and Juliet||Gérard Presgurvic||February 24, 2005||July 8, 2006||German-language premiere|
|We will rock you||Queen , Ben Elton||January 16, 2008||July 13, 2008||203 performances, approx. 250,000 visitors||Austrian premiere|
|I have never been to New York||Udo Jürgens , Gabriel Barylli , Christian Struppeck||March 17, 2010||June 15, 2012||592 performances / approx. 630,000 visitors (1st season)||Austrian premiere (Viennese version)|
|17th April 2016||3rd July 2016||86 performances / approx. 78,000 visitors|
|Elisabeth||Michael Kunze , Sylvester Levay||5th September 2012||1st of February 2014||381 performances / approx. 412,000 visitors||slightly revised Viennese version, previously two seasons in the Theater an der Wien|
|Mamma Mia!||Benny Andersson , Björn Ulvaeus , Catherine Johnson||March 19, 2014||June 28, 2015||360 performances, approx. 360,000 visitors|
|Mozart!||Michael Kunze , Sylvester Levay||September 24, 2015||March 20, 2016||161 performances +7 previews / approx. 175,000 visitors||previously at the Theater an der Wien|
|Miss Saigon||Alain Boublil , Claude-Michel Schoenberg||December 3, 2021||open minded|
- Gustav Andreas Ressel: The Raimund Theater. A memorandum. Reisser, Vienna 1892.
- Statutes of the Raimund Theater Association. Gorischek, Vienna 1892.
- Adam Müller-Guttenbrunn: The tied up imagination. Occasional publication for the opening of the Raimund Theater. (Attached works: On the history of the bound fantasy ). Honegen, Vienna 1893.
- Oscar Friedmann: On the crisis in the Raimund Theater. August Schulze, Leipzig 1896.
- Adam Müller-Guttenbrunn: The Raimund Theater. Passion story of a German Volksbühne. New Revue, Vienna 1897.
- 70 years of the Raimund Theater. November 28, 1893 - November 28, 1963 . Wiener Theaterbetriebsgesellschaft, Vienna 1963.
- Maria Kinz: Raimund Theater. Jugend und Volk, Vienna (among others) 1985, ISBN 3-224-16003-9 .
- Eva Marlene Drnek: Development of the Raimund Theater in Vienna. Burgtheater for the people. Thesis. University of Vienna, Vienna 2007.
- The Raimund Theater in Vienna. In: The Architect , born in 1895, Volume I, p. 44. (Online at ANNO ). .
- The Raimund Theater in Vienna. In: The architect , born in 1895, first year, p. 65 ff. (Picture section). (Online at ANNO ). .
- The reshaping of the Raimund Theater in Vienna. In: Neue Freie Presse , Sunday edition, No. 26652 S / 1938, November 20, 1938, p. 15. (Online at ANNO ). .
- The Raimundtheater on the website of the United Stages Vienna
- Raimundtheater in the Vienna History Wiki of the City of Vienna
- Raimund Theater completely renovated. In: wien.orf.at. May 31, 2021, accessed June 1, 2021 .
- Raimund Theater. In: Neue Freie Presse , Morgenblatt, No. 10514/1893, November 28, 1893, p. 5 f. (Online at ANNO ). .
- Franz Roth. In: Architects Lexicon Vienna 1770–1945. Published by the Architekturzentrum Wien . Vienna 2007.
- Raimund Theater . In: Josef Kareis (Red.): Journal for electrical engineering. Organ of the Electrotechnical Association in Vienna . XI. Year (1893). Self-published, Vienna 1893, p. 561. - Full text online .
- Full text online .
- Alfred Freiherr von Berger: Prologue to the opening performance in the Raimund Theater . Steyrermühl, Vienna 1893.
- Adam Müller-Guttenbrunn: The suspended theater director. Speech of the director - delivered on February 24, 1896 at the extraordinary general assembly of the Raimund Theater Association in Vienna . Second edition. Meyer, Leipzig 1896.
- lining: Austrian Biographical Lexicon 1815–1950 (ÖBL). Volume 5, Verlag der Österreichischen Akademie der Wissenschaften, Vienna 1972, p. 52. In:
- "Österreichisches Biographisches Lexikon 1815-1950", 1970, p. 52.
- Senta Siller, Carl Otto Czeschka - Leben und Werk, dissertation 1990, p. 77.
- Harald Sterk : “Giuditta” as a festival premiere in the Raimundtheater: Lehar's unhappy love of opera . In: Arbeiter-Zeitung . Vienna May 25, 1969, p. 6 , middle left ( The website of the Arbeiterzeitung is currently being redesigned. The linked pages are therefore not accessible. - Digitized version).
- orf.at: Raimund Theater: Refurbishment starts in 2019 . Article dated March 7, 2018, accessed March 7, 2018.
- Raimund Theater will not open again until 2021. In: ORF.at . June 8, 2020, accessed June 8, 2020 .
- The opening performance included: kk Interior Minister Bacquehem , Mayor Prix and Governor of Lower Austria Kielmansegg - who took the floor at the subsequent banquet in the Hotel Goldenes Kreuz , Mariahilfer Straße 99, as the highest ranking member. - See: Raimund Theater. In: Neue Freie Presse , Morgenblatt, No. 10515/1893, November 29, 1893, p. 7, center left. (Online at ANNO ). .