|Kunigunde donates the Kaufungen monastery .|
|1017 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||465/466 (turn of the year July)|
|Buddhist calendar||1560/61 (southern Buddhism); 1559/60 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||61st (62nd) cycle , year of the fire-serpent丁巳 ( at the beginning of the year fire-dragon 丙辰)|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||379/380 (turn of the year April)|
|Islamic calendar||407/408 (turn of the year 29/30 May)|
|Jewish calendar||4777/78 (23/24 September)|
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1327/28 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1328/29 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1073/74 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
The North Sea Empire
Canute the Great marries Emma of Normandy , the wife of his rival Æthelred , who died the previous year , in order to consolidate his claim to the throne in England , although he had previously married the English noblewoman Ælfgifu of Northampton . Ælfgifu retains her position, however, and her sons Sven and Harald remain in line to the throne. In the same year Knut divides his dominion into the counties of Wessex , Mercia , Northumbria and East Anglia . As Earls he uses Erik Håkonsson in Northumbria , Torkjell Høge in East Anglia , Leofric in Mercia and Godwin in Wessex .
Central and Eastern Europe
- Summer: Grand Duke Jaroslaw I of Kiev and the Roman-German Emperor Heinrich II attacked the Polish Duke Bolesław I, who was allied with Jaroslaw's half-brother Svyatopolk I , from two sides, but without being able to deliver a decisive blow.
- Beginning of the year: Pope Benedict VIII sends Norman mercenaries under the leadership of the adventurer Rainulf Drengot to southern Italy to support the Lombard uprising under Meles of Bari against the Byzantine feudal lords. In the spring Meles invades northern Apulia with this Norman contingent and Lombard troops and can advance victoriously in several battles. The Byzantine Emperor Basil II replaced the previous Katepan Tornikios Kontoleon with Basil Boioannes in autumn and sent military reinforcements from the mother country.
- February 5 : After the death of Sancho García , his underage son García Sánchez becomes Count of Castile . His mother Urraca initially takes over the reign for the eight-year-old. King Sancho III has a great influence on the government . from Navarre , who is married to García's older sister Munia Mayor .
- After the respective rulers died out, the counties Ribagorza and Sobrarbe fell to the Kingdom of Navarre .
- After the death of his father Raimund Borrell, Berengar Raimund I. becomes Count of Barcelona , Ausona and Girona . Since he was only twelve years old at the time, his mother Ermessenda von Carcassonne took over the reign of the three counties.
- Mahmud of Ghazni conquered Khorezm for the Ghaznavid Empire , overthrew the Mamunids and installed the Altuntaschids as rulers there.
- The Indian Chola empire under Rajendra I attacks the Srivijaya empire for the first time , which is in trade competition with Chola.
- Fujiwara no Michinaga hands over his office as Sesshō ( Japanese regent ) to his son Fujiwara no Yorimichi , but remains the most influential person in Japan in the background .
First documentary mentions
- April 28th : The places Diendorf , Gütenland , Neunburg vorm Wald and Wenigrötz in Nordgau are mentioned for the first time in a donation to the Bamberg diocese .
- The Portuguese town of Cedrim is mentioned for the first time in a deed of donation from the local monastery.
- On the orders of the Kiev Grand Duke Yaroslav the Wise , construction of the Golden Gate of Kiev begins .
- Drumer Tshälthrim Chungne , a student of Lume Tshälthrim Sherab , founds the Tibetan Thangpoche monastery .
- May: Empress Kunigunde donates the Benedictine Monastery of Kaufungen on her later widows estate in Kaufungen in Northern Hesse after she has recovered from a serious illness.
- The Benedictine and previous provost Ekkehard is elected Bishop of Prague to succeed Thiddag , who died on June 11th . This takes place against the will of the Bohemian Duke Oldřich , who wanted to enforce his court chaplain Přibislav. After the imperial enfeoffment, Ekkehard received the episcopal ordination on October 6th in Merseburg by the Archbishop of Mainz , Erkanbald .
Islam / Druze
- The Ismaili scholar Hamza ibn Ali ibn Ahmad claims that the era of Qāʾim ( eschatological ruler) has dawned and that the ruling Fatimid caliph al-Hākim bi-amr Allah is God. He also teaches the abrogation of the Koranic revelation and its Ismaili interpretation; The mere confession of God's uniqueness ( tawheed ) should take the place of both, which makes all acts of worship superfluous. He begins writing several missives and develops a compilation of Ismaili, Neoplatonic and extreme Shiite ideas and terms. Hamza sends its own missionaries to the various Ismaili congregations in Egypt and Syria. One of his missionaries, a young Turk from Bukhara, who is nicknamed ad-Darzī, is so active in missionary activity in Cairo that the new doctrine is known there as ad-Darzīya ; their followers are called Durūz ( Druze ).
- Achimaats ben Paltiel , Jewish liturgical poet and chronicler († 1060 )
- Bermudo III. , King of León († 1037 )
- Zhou Dunyi , Chinese philosopher from the school of Neoconfucianism († 1073 )
Date of death secured
- January 5th : Friedrich I. von Wettin , Count of Eilenburg and Count in the Gau Quezizi (* around 960 )
- February 5 : Sancho García , Count of Castile (* around 965 )
- June 5 : Sanjō , Japanese Tennō (* 976 )
- June 11th : Thiddag , Bishop of Prague (* 998 )
- September 18 : Heinrich , Margrave of Schweinfurt (* before 980)
Exact date of death unknown
- after November 3rd: Burchard I. von Goseck , Count in Hassegau, Count Palatine of Saxony, Count of Merseburg and Imperial Vogt (* before 991)
- Raimund Borrell , Count of Barcelona, Girona and Ausona (* 972 )
- Renaud of Vendôme , Bishop of Paris and Count of Vendôme and Paris