|Geographical location in Japan|
(September 30, 2019)
|Population density :||378 inhabitants per km²|
|Community key :||01202-5|
|Postal code area :||040-0001-042-0957|
|Flag / coat of arms:|
|Tree :||Japanese yew|
|Flower :||Rhododendron kaempferi var. Kaempferi|
|Bird :||Poecile varia varia|
Hakodate City Hall
4 - 13 , Shinonome-chō
|Location Hakodates in Hokkaido Prefecture|
The converter station of the HVDC Hokkaido-Honshu is located near Hakodate .
The city is one of the few Japanese settlements on Hokkaidō that did not emerge until the 19th century. A fortified trading post existed here as early as the 15th century.
From December 1868 to June 1869, Hakodate was the capital of the short-lived Ezo Republic , the only republic on Japanese soil. In the bay of Hakodate from 4th to 10th May 1869 the naval battle of Hakodate took place.
On August 11, 1874, the German businessman Consul Ludwig Haber, Fritz Haber's uncle , was murdered by a samurai in a xenophobic act. His grave in Hakodate still exists.
- Goryōkaku ( 五 稜 郭 ), the remains of the first modern fort in Japan, once the seat of government of the Republic of Ezo and now a park with an observation tower and museum.
- Cape Tachimachi ( 立 待 岬 )
- Mount Hakodate ( 函館 山 )
- Russian Orthodox Church in Hakodate , built in 1861
- Halifax , since 1982
- Lake Macquarie City , since 1992
- Vladivostok , since 1992
- Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk , since 1997
- Tianjin , since 2001
- Goyang , since 2011
Hakodate Airport is eight kilometers east of the city .
The Station Hakodate is the southern terminus of the direction in Sapporo leading Hakodate Main Line society JR Hokkaido . At Goryōkaku station further north, the Esashi line branches off to Kikonai . From 1988 Hakodate was connected to the main island of Honshu via the Seikan tunnel . The direct connection was discontinued in 2016 with the opening of the high-speed Hokkaidō-Shinkansen line ; Since then, long-distance traffic to the main island has been handled via the Shin-Hakodate-Hokuto train station, 18 km away .
Hakodate is served by the Hakodate-Esashi Highway, National Road 5 and National Roads 227, 228, 278, 279, 280 and 338. In addition to various bus routes, the Hakodate City Transport Authority also operates the two- line Hakodate tram .
sons and daughters of the town
- Tatsuya Futakami (1932-2016), Shogi player
- Ryōhei Hirose (1930–2008), composer
- Jūran Hisao (1902–1957), writer
- Okamoto Ippei (1886–1948), manga artist
- Kamei Katsuichirō (1907–1966), writer
- Hiroyuki Kiyokawa (born 1967), football player
- Shūhei Matsubara (* 1992), football player
- Mikio Taka (* 1978), artist
Neighboring cities and communities
Monthly average temperatures and rainfall for Hakodate
- Report on Haber's death
- 東北 沖 大 地震 ： え り も で ３．５ メ ー ト ル 津 波 流 さ れ る 車 、 漁船 （そ の １） ／ 北海道 ( Memento from March 15, 2011 in the Internet Archive ), The earthquake in the high seas of Tōhoku: Erimo. Path and fishing boat in the Internet archive hit by a 3.5 meter high tsunami , Mainichi Shimbun (Japanese)
- Trams in Hakodate on www.drehscheibe-online.de, January 10, 2016