|National Basketball Association|
|◄ previous||1997/98 season||next ►|
|Duration||October 1997 -
|Season games per team||82|
|Number of teams||29|
Chicago Bulls Utah Jazz
|Season MVP||Michael Jordan|
|Top scorer||Michael Jordan|
|Eastern - Champion||Chicago Bulls|
|Runner-up team||Indiana Pacers|
|Western - Champion||Utah Jazz|
|Runner-up team||Los Angeles Lakers|
|NBA champions||Chicago Bulls|
|Finals MVP||Michael Jordan|
The 1997–98 NBA season was the National Basketball Association's 52nd season .
The Chicago Bulls defeated Utah Jazz 4-2 in the NBA Finals , becoming NBA champions for the third time in a row and for the sixth time in eight years. With this season and the resignation of Michael Jordan and the departure of Scottie Pippen and Dennis Rodman , the dominance of the Bulls and, in the eyes of many observers, ended a golden era of basketball.
- The NBA All-Star Game took place in Madison Square Garden , home of the New York Knicks . The Eastern Conference won 135-114. Michael Jordan of the Chicago Bulls has been voted MVP. Kobe Bryant was the youngest all-star in NBA history at the age of 19.
- The Washington Bullets renamed themselves Washington Wizards.
- To make the game more spectacular, the "restricted area" was introduced under the basket, in which an offensive foul is only punished under special circumstances.
S = wins, N = defeats, PCT = percentage of wins, P = deficit on division leaders
The placements in the seed lists of the respective conference playoffs are listed in brackets.
- Most Valuable Player : Michael Jordan , Chicago Bulls
- Rookie of the Year : Tim Duncan , San Antonio Spurs
- Defensive Player of the Year : Dikembe Mutombo , Atlanta Hawks
- Sixth Man of the Year : Danny Manning , Phoenix Suns
- Most Improved Player : Alan Henderson , Atlanta Hawks
- Coach of the Year : Larry Bird , Indiana Pacers
- All-NBA First Team :
- All-NBA Second Team:
- All-NBA Third Team:
- NBA All-Defensive First Team :
- NBA All-Defensive Second Team:
- All-NBA Rookie First Team :
- All-NBA Rookie Second Team:
|First round||Conference semifinals||Conference Finals||NBA finals|
1998 NBA Finals
|game||date||Home team||Away team||Result||was standing|
|1||3rd of June||Utah||Chicago||88:85 (n.V.)||1-0|
|2||June 5th||Utah||Chicago||88:93||1: 1|
|3||June 7th||Chicago||Utah||96:54||2: 1|
|4th||June 10th||Chicago||Utah||86:82||3: 1|
|5||June 12||Chicago||Utah||81:83||3: 2|
|6th||14th June||Utah||Chicago||86:87||2: 4|