|Community association||Canton d'Erstein|
|surface||17.35 km 2|
|Residents||2,698 (January 1, 2017)|
|Population density||156 inhabitants / km 2|
Rhinau (German Rheinau ) is a French commune with 2,698 inhabitants (as of January 1, 2017) on the left bank of the Rhine in the Bas-Rhin department in the Grand Est region (until 2015 Alsace ). The next neighboring municipality is Boofzheim .
As a result of changes in the course of the Rhine, Rhinau changed sides of the river several times: Before 1398 the place was on the right of the Rhine, then came on the left side of the river and was again on the right of the Rhine for a few years from 1502.
The Rhinau power plant is located in the municipal area on the Rhine .
- The family of the humanist Beatus Rhenanus (1485–1547) originally came from Rheinau
- Alphonse Gilliot (1849–1927), Mayor of Rheinau
- Joseph Pfleger (1873–1957), politician
- Le Patrimoine des Communes du Bas-Rhin . Flohic Editions, Volume 1, Charenton-le-Pont 1999, ISBN 2-84234-055-8 , pp. 102-105.
- Christoph Bernhardt: In the mirror of the water. A transnational environmental history of the Upper Rhine (1800–2000). (= Environmental historical research , Volume 5) Böhlau, Cologne 2016, ISBN 978-3-412-22155-3 , p. 52.