Great May Oath
|coat of arms||Germany map|
|Association municipality :||Dierdorf|
|Height :||280 m above sea level NHN|
|Area :||15.52 km 2|
|Residents:||2316 (Dec. 31, 2019)|
|Population density :||149 inhabitants per km 2|
|Postal code :||56276|
|Area code :||02689|
|License plate :||NO|
|Community key :||07 1 38 023|
|Association administration address:||Poststrasse 5
|Local Mayor :||Guido Kern ( SPD )|
|Location of the local community Großmaischeid in the district of Neuwied|
Großmaischeid (dialect: Grußmäschd , Mäschd or Maischeid ) is a medium-sized local community in the Neuwied district in northern Rhineland-Palatinate . With around 2,500 inhabitants, it is the largest local community in the Dierdorf Association . It is located near the Rhine-Westerwald nature park and has a direct connection to the A 3 between the Cologne and Frankfurt metropolitan areas .
Großmaischeid is located in the Westerwald in northern Rhineland-Palatinate in the Neuwied district , near the Neuwied middle center and the Koblenz upper center . Großmaischeid has a favorable economic location between the metropolitan areas of Cologne and Frankfurt am Main and, as a neighboring town to Kleinmaischeid, also has an attractive tourist location, as Kleinmaischeid was once the center of the 25 member states of Europe. Seen locally, Großmaischeid is located southwest of the city of Dierdorf in the Rhine-Westerwald Nature Park , on an area sloping from east to west to the valley of the Ommelsbach . The districts Großmaischeid and Kausen as well as the residential areas Ommelsbachermühle and the hunting lodge Sayneck belong to the local community Großmaischeid .
Surrounding communities and cities
Immediate neighboring communities:
The nearest cities:
The nearest major cities:
Großmaischeid was first settled in the Middle Bronze Age (1550–1200 BC). This is confirmed by discovered during the construction of the highway (1937-1939) tumuli between greed Hofen and Großmaischeid. In the year 80 AD the Romans built the Limes border wall , which ran about 6 km southwest of Großmaischeid. Today's district Großmaischeid was forested before the settlement. It was a natural landscape that was probably cleared between 850 and 1300 AD.
The first documentary mention as Metscheid took place on January 20, 1148 through a confirmation document from the Laach Abbey (today Maria Laach Abbey ) from Pope Eugene III. In this letter to the Laacher abbot Gilbert († 1152) the Pope mentioned the Salic tithe (decimae salicae) at Maischeid , which was attributed to a gift from Rembold von Isenburg (1092–1121) . This donation obviously served to equip the Laach monastery, which was founded in 1093.
The development of the population of Großmaischeid; the values from 1871 to 1987 are based on censuses:
Distribution of seats in the elected municipal council:
Guido Kern (SPD) became the mayor of Großmaischeid on August 14, 2019. In the direct election on May 26, 2019, he was elected for five years with a share of 70.55% of the vote. His predecessor Uwe Engel (SPD) did not run again after ten years in office.
coat of arms
|Blazon : “Late Gothic semicircular shield split from silver in front of blue; in front two red bars, behind a continuous high cross. "|
|Reasons for the coat of arms: The front part refers to the coat of arms of the Niederisenburg rulership, to which the towns of Großmaischeid and Kausen belonged until 1664 and represents the Isenburg basic colors of the Rembold tribe. The horizontal cross ties or bars can be found in the old court seal of the community of Großmaischeid. The rear part shows a cross, which symbolizes an old Christian parish and is based on a representation in the left Gothic window of the apse in the parish church of the village.|
Territorial reform 1974
As part of the territorial reform in Rhineland-Palatinate, which took effect on March 17, 1974, the previously independent municipality of Kausen was incorporated into the local municipality of Großmaischeid.
Great May Oath
- the Großmaischeid water tower was built in 1922/23 and was used from 1924 to 1968. It was renovated in 2007 and is now a listed building . It is a landmark where cultural events take place today.
- the Roman Catholic parish church of St. Bonifatius with a Romanesque west tower. The nave was built in 1716/17, the neo-Gothic transept and choir in 1875/76.
- Großmaischeid's oldest house is on Poststrasse. It is assumed that the half-timbered building was erected on even older foundations around 1700 or earlier.
- southwest of the village in the forest, above the Sayn: Sayneck hunting lodge
- southwest of the village: Wegekapelle; Quarry stone building, plastered with stone, probably from the 18th century
- Hohlstraße 8: half-timbered transverse house, partly solid, 18th century
- to the west above the village on the road to Großmaischeid: wayside cross; Shank cross, basalt, marked 1851
In Großmaischeid there is a marching band that started in 2015 with the “2. Mäschder Summer Carnival ”, celebrated its 65th anniversary.
sport and freetime
Großmaischeid has had an artificial turf pitch since August 2012 (previously hard pitch ). There are also several riding stables, a riding arena, a dog park, a tennis court, a gym, an ADTV dance school, a large barbecue hut and several playgrounds.
- Violet Tuesday train
- Big tent fair "Mäschder Quätsche-Kärmes"
- Martin's celebration
- Christmas "cookie market"
- "Mäschder Summer Carnival" (anniversary of the marching band; every five years)
Economy and Infrastructure
The favorable location of Großmaischeid near the Oberzentrum Koblenz and the Mittelzentrum Neuwied , as well as between the metropolitan areas Cologne / Düsseldorf and Frankfurt and the favorable transport connections through the A3 with its own junction (AS Dierdorf ) favor the economic development of the local community. The plastics processing and metal processing industry, shading construction and tourism developed particularly strongly .
- Catholic day care center “St. Boniface "
- Großmaischeid Primary School "Hermann Gmeiner School"
- Marion Möhlich (* 1981), pop singer
- Website of the local community Großmaischeid
- Information from the Association of Dierdorf about Großmaischeid
- State Statistical Office of Rhineland-Palatinate - population status 2019, districts, communities, association communities ( help on this ).
- State Statistical Office Rhineland-Palatinate: My village, my city. Retrieved July 12, 2019 .
- State Statistical Office Rhineland-Palatinate (ed.): Official directory of the municipalities and parts of the municipality. Status: January 2019 [ Version 2020 is available. ] . S. 49 (PDF; 3 MB).
- The Regional Officer Rhineland-Palatinate: Local election Rhineland-Palatinate 2019, municipal council
- Report on the constituent meeting. Großmaischeid community, August 14, 2019, accessed on March 21, 2020 .
- The Regional Officer Rhineland-Palatinate: direct elections 2019. see Dierdorf, Verbandsgemeinde, sixth result line. Retrieved March 21, 2020 .
- Uwe Engel: Farewell. Großmaischeid community, accessed on March 21, 2020 .
- Brief history of Großmaischeid on Großmaischeid.de, accessed on July 15, 2011.
- Official municipality directory (= State Statistical Office of Rhineland-Palatinate [Hrsg.]: Statistical volumes . Volume 407 ). Bad Ems February 2016, p. 164 (PDF; 2.8 MB).