|Residents||2,566 (Dec 31, 2019)|
|Population density||122 inhabitants / km²|
Merlara is a municipality in the province of Padua , Veneto region , Italy . 2566 inhabitants live in an area of 21 km² (as of December 31, 2019). The place is at a height of . The neighboring communities are Casale di Scodosie, Castelbaldo, Masi, Padua d'Adige, Terrazzo and Urbane. The area is dominated by agriculture and lives primarily from viticulture as well as from growing grain, fruit and vegetables.
The municipality and its surrounding area give its name to an Italian wine-growing region within the provinces of Padua and Verona . The area has had the status of "Controlled Designation of Origin " ( Denominazione di origine controllata - DOC) since July 13, 2000 , which was last updated on March 7, 2014.
Cultivation and vinification are permitted in the following municipalities:
- in the province of Padua: Masi , Castelbaldo , Merlara, Urbana and Casale di Scodosia and in parts of the municipality of Montagnana
- in the province of Verona: Terrazzo , Bevilacqua and Boschi Sant'Anna
A number of types of wine are permitted within the designation of origin:
- Merlara Rosso : Red wine (also called " Novello "), which is made from 50–70% Merlot . A maximum of 50% other analogue grape varieties may be added (individually or together).
- Merlara Bianco : White wine (also as a frizzante ), 50–70% made from Tocai Friulano . A maximum of 50% other analogue grape varieties may be added (individually or together).
- Almost single origin wines
They are called Merlara ... , followed by the respective grape variety. The grape variety mentioned must contain at least 85%. A maximum of 50% of other analogous grape varieties approved for cultivation in the provinces of Padua and Verona may be added.
- Merlara Tai ( Tocai Friulano )
- Merlara Malvasia (from Malvasia Istriana )
- Merlara Chardonnay (also called Frizzante);
- Merlara Pinot Grigio
- Merlara Pinot Bianco
- Merlara Riesling
- Merlara Merlot
- Merlara Cabernet Sauvignon
- Merlara Cabernet (from Cabernet Franc and / or Cabernet Sauvignon and / or Carmenère )
- Merlara Refosco dal Peduncolo Rosso or simply Merlara Refosco
- Merlara Raboso (from Raboso Piave and / or Raboso Veronese )
- Merlara Marzemino frizzante
- Statistiche demografiche ISTAT. Monthly population statistics of the Istituto Nazionale di Statistica , as of December 31 of 2019.
- Disciplinare di Produzione della Denominazione di Origine Controllata (production regulations and description). (PDF) In: ismeamercati.it. November 27, 2017, accessed July 22, 2018 (Italian).
- * Map of the growing areas and list of all DOCG and DOC wines in Veneto In: federdoc.com , accessed on August 10, 2018 (Italian).