|coat of arms||Germany map|
|County :||Eifel district Bitburg-Prüm|
|Association municipality :||South Eifel|
|Height :||400 m above sea level NHN|
|Area :||6.35 km 2|
|Residents:||148 (Dec. 31, 2019)|
|Population density :||23 inhabitants per km 2|
|Postal code :||54675|
|Area code :||06522|
|License plate :||BIT, PRÜ|
|Community key :||07 2 32 096|
|Association administration address:||Pestalozzistraße 7
|Local Mayor :||Josef quarrel|
|Location of the Obergeckler community in the Eifel district of Bitburg-Prüm|
Archaeological finds from prehistory and early history are not available. However, it can be assumed that the place was called Jecklare in 1453 and belonged to the Saxon settlements that emerged around the year 800. The name Jecklare probably contains the word 'lar' as a suffix, which means, for example, grass space, perhaps also large hurdle and probably also settlement. Up until the 11th and 12th centuries, Obergeckler belonged to the Bidgau , then to the Luxembourgish county of Vianden and consisted of 9 stock estates . The spelling in 1501 was Over Jecklair . Obergeckler was temporarily the seat of a dairy (administrative and primary court district).
With the occupation of the Austrian Netherlands (1794), to which the Duchy of Luxembourg belonged, by French revolutionary troops , the town became French and belonged to the Forests Department from 1795 to 1814 . In 1815 the former Luxembourg area east of the Sauer and Our was assigned to the Kingdom of Prussia at the Congress of Vienna . With this, Obergeckler came to the Bitburg district in the Trier administrative district in 1816 and was initially administered by the Lahr mayor and later by the Neuerburg mayor .
- Statistics on population development
The development of the population of Obergeckler, the values from 1871 to 1987 are based on censuses:
Culture and sights
- Catholic private chapel from 1880
- There are some - some very old - crossroads spread across the municipality .
Green spaces and recreation
- Riding and hiking on marked trails
- Obergeckler has a village community center and a village restaurant
- The annual fair or parish fair is celebrated on May 3rd or the following weekend.
- Hut burning on the first weekend after Ash Wednesday (so-called Scheef Sunday)
- Summer party of the volunteer fire brigade Ober- and Niedergeckler in August.
- Ernst Wackenroder (arr.): The art monuments of the Bitburg district (= Paul Clemen [Hrsg.]: The art monuments of the Rhine province . Volume 12 / I ). Trier 1983, ISBN 3-88915-006-3 , p. 164 (315 p., With 12 plates and 227 illustrations in the text. Reprinted by the Schwann edition, Düsseldorf 1927).
- To search for cultural assets of the local community Obergeckler in the database of cultural assets in the Trier region .
- State Statistical Office of Rhineland-Palatinate - population status 2019, districts, communities, association communities ( help on this ).
- State Statistical Office Rhineland-Palatinate (ed.): Official directory of the municipalities and parts of the municipality. Status: January 2019 [ Version 2020 is available. ] . S. 100 (PDF; 3 MB).
- State Statistical Office Rhineland-Palatinate: My village, my city. Retrieved August 6, 2019 .
- The Regional Officer Rhineland-Palatinate: Local elections 2019, city and municipal council elections. Retrieved August 6, 2019 .
- Hüttenbrennen in the Eifel. Retrieved May 1, 2016 .
- Hut Sunday in the Eifel. Retrieved August 10, 2017 .