Pierce Brendan Brosnan , OBE (* 16th May 1953 in Drogheda ) is an Irish actor , film producer and environmental - activist . He has also been a US citizen since 2004 . He became known in the 1980s with the television series Remington Steele and from 1994 as the fifth actor in James Bond , whom he played in four films until 2002.
Pierce Brosnan was born in 1953 in Drogheda, Ireland, the only child of carpenter Thomas Brosnan and his wife May Smith. He then lived in Navan for twelve years . After his parents separated, Brosnan's mother moved to London to work as a nurse. From then on, at the age of four, he lived with his grandparents Philip and Kathleen Smith. After the death of his grandparents, he first lived with aunt and uncle, and later with other relatives. In 1964 he left Ireland and went to his mother and her new husband William Carmichael, a British veteran of World War II in the Scottish village of Longniddry . Brosnan quickly accepted his mother's new husband as a father figure. He later attended the Elliott School, a middle school in Putney, London.
After leaving school at 16, he worked as a painter and began training at Central Saint Martins College of Art and Design . In 1969 he saw a fire eater at a workshop at the Oval House Theater , whereupon he decided to learn how to do it. A circus worker saw him as a street performer and hired him for three years. From 1973 he studied acting at the Drama Center London . To finance his education, he also worked as an assistant to the stage manager at the Royal Theater.
In 1977 the playwright Tennessee Williams noticed Brosnan and cast him for the British premiere of his play Red Devil Battery Sign at the Roundhouse Theater in London. This was followed by appearances in Filumina and Wait until it is dark as well as smaller extras on television, including in Guy Hamilton's Agatha Christie film Murder in the Mirror , where he briefly appears in an extra role at Elizabeth Taylor's side (approx. Minute). In 1981, Brosnan played the male lead in the TV miniseries The Manions in America .
In 1980, Cassandra Harris , then fiancé and future wife of Brosnan, played a supporting role in the James Bond film James Bond 007 - In Fatal Mission . At a dinner for the film team, she introduced Brosnan to producer Albert R. Broccoli as her fiancé.
In 1982 he achieved his international breakthrough with the crime series Remington Steele . In 1986 the production was stopped after four seasons (88 episodes) because there had been problems with the producers and also with Brosnan's partner Stephanie Zimbalist . At the same time, the producer Albert R. Broccoli was looking for a successor to Roger Moore as a James Bond actor. However, Brosnan, who was one of the first to be offered the role, had to decline because he was still under contract with Remington Steele at the beginning of the shooting of The Living Daylights and the producers wanted him for another fifth season. The fact that only six episodes were filmed from this fifth season and that he could have played James Bond back then led to the final falling out with the Remington Steele producers. In his place, the role of James Bond was cast with Timothy Dalton .
In the meantime, he had become a global star with films such as The Fourth Protocol , The Deceivers and Mr. Johnson . In 1992 and 1993 he also had commercial successes with The Lawnmower Man and the comedy Mrs. Doubtfire . In 1994 Brosnan got the role of secret agent James Bond. GoldenEye grossed over $ 350 million worldwide and was the most successful film in the series to date. It was followed by Tomorrow Never Dies (1997), The World Is Not Enough (1999) and Die Another Day (2002). In addition, Brosnan was also in Tim Burton's Mars Attacks! and Dante's Peak to see. Since 1998 he has also been active in the field of film production with his company Irish Dreamtime. He was able to land a success, for example, with the remake The Thomas Crown Affair .
In 2004, Brosnan announced that he would no longer play James Bond in the future. A fifth film with Brosnan in the title role was originally planned. In the same year he received US citizenship. In 2008 he was together with Meryl Streep in the film adaptation of the ABBA musical Mamma Mia! to see for which he was awarded the Golden Raspberry as worst supporting actor. In the German dubbing, Frank Glaubrecht is his standard voice . Lutz Mackensy dubbed him in the television multiparter Around the World in 80 Days .
Brosnan married actress Cassandra Harris in 1980 . He adopted their two children from their first marriage. Cassandra Harris played a supporting role in James Bond 007, 1981's Deadly Mission . Brosnan and Harris had a son together. In 1987, Brosnan's wife developed ovarian cancer . After her death in 1991, Brosnan set up a foundation for cancer research. Daughter Charlotte Emily also died of ovarian cancer in 2013 at the age of 41.
In 2001, Brosnan married journalist Keely Shaye Smith , with whom he has two children. Together with her he is committed to environmental protection. Brosnan lives in Malibu and on the Hawaiian island of Kauai .
Commitment to animal and environmental protection
The strict vegetarian Pierce Brosnan is part of the advisory board of the marine conservation organization Sea Shepherd and describes its founder Paul Watson as a friend. When Watson was arrested in 2012, Brosnan campaigned for his release. In his efforts to protect whales and seas, Brosnan worked alongside his work at Sea Shepherd with the marine conservation organization Oceana, as well as the International Fund for Animal Welfare , the Humane Society of the United States and the Whaleman Foundation .
In 1995 Brosnan boycotted the French premiere of James Bond 007: Golden Eye to show solidarity with Greenpeace and their protest against the French nuclear weapons test program in the South Pacific .
In 2004, Brosnan was named Best Dressed Environmentalist by the Sustainable Style Foundation .
Together with his wife and some international stars such as Daryl Hannah , Cindy Crawford and Halle Berry , Brosnan successfully campaigned against the construction of a natural gas extraction plant on the Malibu coast . In 2007, the then Governor of California Arnold Schwarzenegger vetoed the construction of the facility.
In 2007, Brosnan was awarded the Golden Camera for his environmental commitment.
In 2019, Brosnan praised the Swedish climate protection activist Greta Thunberg and called on her to take an example. At the same time, he criticized Donald Trump for denying climate change.
- 1979: The Ordinary Madness (series) (TV series, three episodes)
- 1980: Rififi on Good Friday (The Long Good Friday)
- 1980: The Professionals ( The Professionals , television series, an episode)
- 1980: Murder in the Mirror (The Mirror Crack'd)
- 1981: The Manions of America ( The Manions of America , Soaps, three episodes)
- 1982: Nancy Astor (TV series, 4 episodes)
- 1982–1987: Remington Steele (TV series, 94 episodes)
- 1985: Nomads - Death out of nowhere (Nomads)
- 1986: The Fourth Protocol (The Fourth Protocol)
- 1987: A Man Like Taffin (Taffin)
- 1988: The Deceiver (The Deceivers)
- 1988: Noble House (TV four-part, all episodes)
- 1989: In 80 days around the world ( Around the World in Eighty Days , television trilogy, all episodes)
- 1989: The Gentleman Coup (The Heist)
- 1990: Mr. Johnson (Mister Johnson)
- 1991: Murder 101 (Murder 101)
- 1991: Victim Of Love
- 1992: The Lawnmower Man (The Lawnmower Man)
- 1992: Hydrotoxin - The Bomb is Ticking Inside You (Live Wire)
- 1993: Death Train (Detonator)
- 1993: Labyrinth - Love With No Way Out (Entangled)
- 1993: Mrs. Doubtfire - The Prickly Nanny (Mrs. Doubtfire)
- 1993: Broken Chain (The Broken Chain)
- 1994: Killing Stranger (Don't Talk to Strangers)
- 1994: Perfect Love Affair (Love Affair)
- 1995: The Rembrandt Connection (Night Watch)
- 1995: James Bond 007 - Goldeneye (GoldenEye)
- 1996: Love Has Two Faces (The Mirror Has Two Faces)
- 1996: Mars Attacks!
- 1997: Dante's Peak
- 1997: James Bond 007 - Tomorrow Never Dies
- 1997: The Disappearance of Kevin Johnson
- 1997: Robinson Crusoe
- 1998: The American Nephew
- 1999: Gray Owl
- 1999: The Thomas Crown Affair (The Thomas Crown Affair)
- 1999: James Bond 007 - The World Is Not Enough
- 2001: The Tailor of Panama (The Tailor of Panama)
- 2002: Evelyn
- 2002: James Bond 007 - Die Another Day
- 2003: Laws of Attraction
- 2004: After the Sunset
- 2005: Murder and Margaritas (The Matador)
- 2006: Seraphim Falls
- 2006: Playing with fear (Butterfly on a Wheel)
- 2007: Married Life
- 2008: Mamma Mia!
- 2009: Vanilla Gorilla
- 2009: Time of Mourning (The Greatest)
- 2010: Percy Jackson - Thieves in Olympus (Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief)
- 2010: The Ghost Writer (The Ghost Writer)
- 2010: Remember Me (Remember Me)
- 2011: Whoever Believes It Will Be Blessed - Salvation Boulevard (Salvation Boulevard)
- 2011: The normal madness (I Don't Know How She Does It)
- 2011: Bag of Bones (two-part television film)
- 2012: Love Is All You Need (Den skaldede frisør)
- 2013: The World's End
- 2013: Like in the old days (The Love Punch)
- 2014: A Long Way Down
- 2014: The November Man
- 2014: Professor Love (Some Kind of Beautiful)
- 2015: No Escape
- 2015: Survivor
- 2015: A Christmas Star
- 2016: Urge
- 2016: Hacked (IT)
- 2017, 2019: The Son (TV series, 20 episodes)
- 2017: The Only Living Boy in New York
- 2017: The Foreigner
- 2018: Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again
- 2018: Spinning Man - In the Darkness of Your Soul (Spinning Man)
- 2018: Final Score
- 2020: Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga
- 1998: The Magic Sword - The Legend of Camelot ( Quest for Camelot , Voice of Arthur)
- 2000: Dolphins ( Dolphins , voice)
- 2001: The Simpsons ( The Simpsons , as the voice of a computer, an episode)
- 2008: Thomas, the small locomotive ( Thomas the Tank Engine , as narrator, film: The great discovery)
- 1998: Saturn Award : Best Actor Category for James Bond 007 - Tomorrow Never Dies
- 2000: Blockbuster Entertainment Awards: Favorite Action Actor Category for James Bond 007 - Tomorrow Never Dies
- 2000: Empire Awards : Best Actor Category for James Bond 007 - Tomorrow Never Dies
- 2001: Sexiest Man Alive
- 2003: Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE, honorary)
- 2003: Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame
- 2004: G-Phoria Awards: Best Voice Performance category - Male for James Bond 007 - The world is not enough
- 2007: Golden Camera in the category special award for environmental protection
- 2009: Golden Raspberry - Category Worst Supporting Actor for Mamma Mia!
- 2011: London Critics Circle Film Awards: British Supporting Actor of the Year category for The Ghostwriter
- 2011: Irish Film and Television Award : Best Supporting Actor category for The Ghostwriter
- 2016: European Film Award - Best European Performance in World Cinema
- Pierce Brosnan's official website
- Pierce Brosnan in the Internet Movie Database (English)
- Pierce Brosnan in the nndb (English)
- Pierce Brosnan on AllMovie (English)
- Literature by and about Pierce Brosnan in the catalog of the German National Library
- ↑ Pierce Brosnan's biography on TV.com , accessed November 8, 2010
- ↑ RTÉ News: Pierce Brosnan honored by Navan Town , accessed November 8, 2010
- ^ A b Biography of Pierce Brosnan at hellomagazine.com , accessed November 8, 2010
- ↑ Brosnan is a true Father Figure ... on Showbiz.ie , accessed November 8, 2010
- ↑ Central Saint Martins - Alumni ( Memento from June 30, 2007 in the Internet Archive )
- ^ Pierce Brosnan - Central Saint Martins - University of the Arts London - Drama Center ( Memento of December 5, 2014 in the Internet Archive ). Retrieved November 29, 2014.
- ↑ Production Notes - For Your Eyes Only at mi6-hq.com , accessed December 2, 2012
- ^ John Wilson: 29th Annual Golden Raspberry (Razzie) Award "Winners" . In: Home of the Golden Raspberry Award Foundation . Golden Raspberry Award Foundation. 2009. Archived from the original on April 27, 2009. Retrieved on May 1, 2009.
- ↑ Pierce Brosnan's daughter died of cancer ( memento of July 7, 2013 in the Internet Archive ) on oe3.orf.at, accessed on July 2, 2013
- ↑ http://www.serienjunkies.de/news/geburtstag-pierce-brosnans-karriere-49723-5.html
- ↑ a b Danny Morgenstern: 007 XXS - 50 years of James Bond - Fireball . epubli, 2016, ISBN 978-3-7418-4795-0 ( google.at [accessed June 13, 2020]).
- ↑ Pierce Brosnan Vying for "World's Sexiest Vegetarian" title. Retrieved June 13, 2020 .
- ↑ Pierce Brosnan végétarien, écologiste et militant. In: Vegactu. Accessed June 13, 2020 (Fri-FR).
- ^ Media and Arts Advisory Board. August 8, 2017, accessed June 13, 2020 (American English).
- ↑ Pierce Brosnan. Retrieved June 13, 2020 .
- ↑ Premiere Bond: Opening Nights (Video 2006) - IMDb. Retrieved June 13, 2020 .
- ↑ 2004 Best Dressed Environmental List. In: sustainable style foundation. September 3, 2010, accessed June 13, 2020 .
- ^ Halle Berry, Others Protest Natural Gas Facility. Retrieved June 13, 2020 .
- ↑ Ethan Stewart Thu May 24, 2007 | 12:00 pm: Cabrillo Port Dies a Santa Barbara Flavored Death. In: The Santa Barbara Independent. May 24, 2007. Retrieved June 13, 2020 (American English).
- ↑ Best of Entertainment: GOLDEN CAMERA 2007 - 42nd award. Retrieved June 13, 2020 .
- ↑ Climate crisis: Ex- "Bond" Pierce Brosnan angry with Trump. Retrieved June 13, 2020 .
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Brosnan, Pierce Brendan (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Irish-American actor|
|DATE OF BIRTH||May 16, 1953|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Drogheda , Ireland|