Red Bull GmbH
|Red Bull GmbH|
|Seat||Fuschl am See , Austria|
|Number of employees||12,239 (end of 2018)|
|sales||5.5 billion EUR (2018)|
|Branch||Beverage production and distribution, media, sports|
The Red Bull GmbH ( English "red bull" ) is an Austrian conglomerate founded in 1984 with headquarters in Fuschl am See . Their best-known product is the energy drink of the same name, Red Bull . The company operates in the business areas of beverages, sports management and media.
In 1982 , while on a business trip to Thailand, Dietrich Mateschitz became aware of the energy drinks that were very popular in Asia at the time. In 1984, Mateschitz acquired the international license rights to the Thai brand Krating Daeng ( Thai : กระทิง แดง, German "Roter Gaur "; i. W. S. "Roter Stier", Red Bull ) and founded Red Bull GmbH with the Thai entrepreneurial family Yoovidhya, based in Fuschl am See .
In 2014, Brand Finance calculated a brand value of 6.2 billion US dollars for Red Bull. This makes the company the third most valuable beverage brand worldwide, after Coca-Cola (33.7 billion) and Pepsi (19.4 billion).
Status: March 2020
The shares of Red Bull GmbH are currently held by three shareholders . Dietrich Mateschitz each hold 49% through Distribution & Marketing GmbH and Hong Kong-based TC Agro Agrotrading Company Ltd. owned by the Yoovidhya family. The Thai entrepreneur Chalerm Yoovidhya holds 2% .
|Distribution & Marketing GmbH (owned by Dietrich Mateschitz)||49%|
|TC Agro Agrotrading Company Ltd. (owned by Yoovidhya family)||49%|
Sales in billions of euros
compared to the
|2004||1.668 billion euros|
|2005||2.149 billion euros||28.84%|
|2006||2.600 billion euros||20.99%|
|2007||3.079 billion euros||18.42%|
|2008||3.323 billion euros||7.92%|
|2009||3.268 billion euros||−1.66%|
|2010||3.785 billion euros||15.82%|
|2011||4.253 billion euros||12.36%|
|2012||4.930 billion euros||15.91%|
|2014||5.110 billion euros||1.38%|
|2015||5.903 billion euros||15.51%|
|2016||6.029 billion euros||2.13%|
|2017||5.336 billion euros||−11.49%|
|2018||5.541 billion euros||7.70%|
Number of cans sold
Red Bull's marketing budget is hidden in the annual financial statements under “Other operating expenses”. With an impressive amount of 1.4 billion euros, these expenses make up around one third of sales of 3.785 billion euros (as of 2010).
Regional events such as the Red Bull Flugtage as well as national and international extreme sports events such as the Red Bull Dolomitenmann , Red Bull Vertigo , the Red Bull X-Alps , Red Bull Crashed Ice , the Red Bull Air Race World Championship , the Red Bull X-Fighters , the Red Bull Hare Scramble at Erzberg in Styria or the Taurus Awards in Los Angeles under its own name. Red Bull Paper Wings organizes the world's largest paper airplane competitions.
In Formula 1 from 1995 to 2004, Red Bull was mainly represented as a sponsor of Sauber , but also for a short time by Arrows and Jaguar . Since 2005, the group has had its own Formula 1 team, Red Bull Racing , which emerged from Jaguar Racing, which left the previous year. On November 1, 2005, Red Bull also took over the Formula 1 team Minardi and named it Scuderia Toro Rosso (Italian for red bull racing team ). For the 2020 season, the team will go under the name Scuderia AlphaTauri . However, the focus is clearly on Red Bull Racing, which in the 2010 Formula 1 season was able to win both the constructors 'and drivers' championship titles with Sebastian Vettel for the first time . In 2011 , 2012 and 2013 both titles were successfully defended.
The Formula Una project was also launched in 2005, which is looking for young women who are enthusiastic about motorsport for every racing weekend. The project to set up a motorsport center in Spielberg was initially abandoned after problems with the approval process. However, following agreements, the route was rebuilt and renovated in 2008 and reopened as the Red Bull Ring in 2011 . As the main sponsor of numerous teams and drivers, Red Bull u. a. also represented in the WTCC , DTM , Formula 3 , Formula 3000 and GP2 series . In addition to several rally teams, Red Bull also supports the Citroën Total World Rally Team and the Volkswagen works team in the World Rally Championship . Together with the Austrian motorcycle manufacturer KTM , Red Bull also has several teams under contract in the motorcycle road world championship . From 2006 to 2011 Red Bull sponsored the NASCAR - Red Bull Racing Team .
Red Bull has also been actively involved in football since 2005. On April 6, 2005, the beverage manufacturer took over SV Austria Salzburg and renamed it FC Red Bull Salzburg . Since Red Bull's entry, the club has won the Austrian championship ten times . The main goal, participation in the Champions League , was denied until the 19/20 season. Participation was achieved thanks to Austria's top 11 placement in the UEFA five-year ranking , which means that the champions of the league will have a fixed place in the coming Champions League season. Furthermore, since March 9, 2006, Red Bull has owned the US soccer club MetroStars, which has since been renamed New York Red Bulls . Since 2007, a club in the Brazilian state of São Paulo named to lead Red Bull Brasil and since 2020 also with Red Bull Bragantino a club in the first-class Campeonato Brasileiro Série A Série A . Since June 2009, Red Bull has been involved in the specially founded soccer club RB Leipzig , which, due to the DFB statutes, is not allowed to have the company in the club name. The club was promoted to the Bundesliga in 2016 . In 2012, Red Bull took over USK Anif, renamed it FC Liefering and moved the club to the Liefering district of Salzburg, where the Red Bull Football Academy is located. The club is supposed to function as the farm team of FC Red Bull Salzburg and was promoted to the second highest Austrian league in the first season of its existence , which the amateur team of FC Red Bull Salzburg is prohibited from doing. Between 2008 and 2014, the group owned the Red Bull Soccer Academy West Africa with its own Red Bull Ghana soccer club .
Red Bull took over the Salzburg ice hockey team back in 2000 and has so far won eight championship titles under the name EC Red Bull Salzburg . In addition, the club has been organizing the Red Bulls Salute , a season-preparatory and international invitation tournament, since 2005 (with an interruption between 2013 and 2017) . From 2010 to 2013 this served as the final tournament of the European Trophy . Since May 2012, Red Bull has also sponsored the ailing EHC Munich and renamed its DEL team to EHC Red Bull Munich . This collaboration initially only ran for one season. EHC Red Bull Munich has officially been part of the Red Bull Group since May 1, 2013. In the 2015/16 to 2017/18 seasons, the Munich team won the German championship three times in a row .
However, the group mainly supports extreme athletes in disciplines such as base jumping , paragliding acro , windsurfing , kite surfing , surfing , snowboarding , skateboarding , white water kayaking , mountain biking and freerunning . 600 athletes worldwide are currently under contract with Red Bull.
One of these extreme athletes is the Austrian Felix Baumgartner . On October 14, 2012, as part of the Red Bull Stratos project, he set three world records by jumping from a height of more than 39 kilometers. Baumgartner achieved an estimated speed of 1342 km / h (Mach 1.24) and is the first person to break the sound barrier in free fall. The record jump was broadcast live on the Internet and on TV in many countries, making it a media event .
The company also participates in other, non-sport-related events. The company is primarily active in the field of music and dance. Two of the most famous projects in this regard are the Red Bull Music Academy , Red Bull BC One or Red Bull Flying Illusion (breakdance). Another series of events that cause a sensation every year are the Red Bull Flugtage or the Red Bull Soap Box Race (soap box race). In addition, Redbull is also the sponsor of well-known musicians such as RIN .
Overview of investments
Red Bull GmbH is involved in numerous companies around the world, particularly in the field of sports. The following list shows a selection of the most famous participations.
|Red Bull Air Race GmbH||Air sports||100%|
|Red Bull Hangar-7 GmbH||Motorsport, air sports||100%|
|Red Bull Media House GmbH||media||100%|
|Terra Mater Factual Studios GmbH||watch TV||100%|
|The Flying Bulls GmbH||Air sports||100%|
|UBIMET GmbH||Meteorological services||50%|
|Red Bull do Brasil Ltda.||Soccer||100%|
|Red Bull Bragantino||Soccer||100%|
|EHC Red Bull Munich GmbH||ice Hockey||100%|
|RasenBallsport Leipzig GmbH||Soccer||99%|
|Red Bull Racing Ltd.||formula 1||100%|
|Scuderia AlphaTauri SpA||formula 1||100%|
|Red Bull New York, Inc.||Soccer||100%|
|FC Red Bull Salzburg||Soccer||100%|
Criticism of the marketing concept
A Red Bull marketing strategy is to team up with extreme athletes who set records in daring sports. For many extreme athletes, sponsorship from Red Bull is considered an honor and distinction. Red Bull athletes are repeatedly killed in their actions. The Red Bull base jumper Valeri Rosow jumped from the 6,800 meter high Ama Dablam in the Himalayan region and hit a rock face in 2017 . The stunt pilot Michel Leusch died in 2016 during an air show in China. The motocross rider Eigo Sato , a member of the “Red Bull X-Fighter”, had a serious accident during training in 2013 and later died of his injuries. In 2009, the Swiss Red Bull base jumper Ueli Gegenschatz jumped from the Sunrise Tower in Zurich during an advertising campaign for the company , hit an edge of the base structure, then hit the ground and later succumbed to his injuries. Furthermore, the Red Bull base jumpers Eli Thompson and Shane McConkey, the snowmobile driver Caleb Moore, the motorcycle pilot Toriano Wilson and the stunt pilot Guido Gehrmann were fatally injured.
In April 2008 the product range was expanded to include Red Bull Cola . On May 19, 2009, the sale of Red Bull Cola in Hesse was prohibited by the Hessian Food Inspectorate, as traces of cocaine were detected in Red Bull Cola by the State Institute for Health and Labor of the State of North Rhine-Westphalia . The drink therefore falls under the Narcotics Act . The federal states of North Rhine-Westphalia , Thuringia and Rhineland-Palatinate also followed the ban . However, Red Bull Cola and other foods that contain coca leaf extracts are considered safe and marketable in both the European Union and the United States. After the Federal Institute for Risk Assessment had already rated traces of cocaine as harmless, the sales ban was lifted on August 24, 2009.
According to a study from 2008 by the European Brand Institute , the brand value is valued at 12 billion euros, which means 12th place in the list of European top brands. In July 2005 the value of the brand was still 7.96 billion euros, an increase of 21.6% over the previous year.
After the object jumper Ueli Gegenschatz and, just a few weeks earlier, Eli Thompson , another object jumper, had a fatal accident at an advertising event for a Red Bull product while filming a Red Bull promotional film, public criticism of Red Bull's marketing concept was loud. The company responded with a condolence page for the Swiss object jumper. Quote: "We will continue to work with our many athletes and continue to help them to fulfill their dreams and to realize their visions."
The ARD documentary The Dark Side of Red Bull deals with the death of Gegenenschatz and five other extreme athletes who were sponsored by Red Bull.
Red Bull GmbH was brought back into the media focus in 2019 due to a trademark dispute. The youth basketball teams of VfL Oldesloe were threatened with an injunction against the team named "Blue Bulls". The small club, whose youth coat of arms showed a blue bull's head reminiscent of the Chicago Bulls logo, could not afford a legal dispute and had to destroy its own marketing measures worth around 7,000 euros.
Television, online video and weather service
Red Bull has been operating a YouTube channel since September 22, 2006 , which is the most popular channel in Austria today.
Since June 2008, Red Bull TV GmbH has also been operating the mobile television Red Bull TV , which can be received via DVB-H . Servus TV has been on the air since October 1st, 2009 . Servus TV emerged from the local broadcaster SalzburgTV , which was 100 percent taken over in April 2007. Furthermore, Red Bull TV is broadcast via Servus TV every Saturday and Sunday night via a weekly window.
Since 2012, Red Bull has held a 50% stake in UBIMET , the operator of the Austrian Severe Weather Center, the largest private weather service in the country. The weather data is used in the Red Bull Group's media.
The camera manufacturer GoPro and Red Bull announced a multi-year, global partnership in 2016 that includes content production, sales and cross-promotion of the products. They also want to develop the cameras together. As part of the agreement, Red Bull received shares in GoPro. At the same time, GoPro became the exclusive partner for point-of-view shot cameras for all Red Bull media productions and events. The GoPro Channel, Red Bull TV, Red Bull.com and the in-house media service platform Red Bull Content Pool are to be used cross-media.
The Red Bull Media House GmbH has published the monthly The Red Bulletin since November 2007 . The free lifestyle magazine reports on the company's diverse sponsorship activities. It is enclosed with several Austrian and German daily newspapers. An English version of the magazine is distributed through British and Irish newspapers. The magazine Servus in Stadt & Land has been published by the same publisher since November 2010 , with a widespread circulation according to Austrian Edition Control (ÖAK) 1. HY 2014 of over 163,000 copies since 2011 Austria's best-selling monthly magazine; since March 2012 there is also an edition for Bavaria.
In October 2016 it was announced that Red Bull Media House would discontinue the Seitenblicke magazine and instead focus on the Seitenblicke.at online presence. The print product will appear for the last time on December 7, 2016.
The Red Bull Media House GmbH operates a global network of studios, under the label Red Bull Studios firmieren. Locations are in Amsterdam , Auckland ( New Zealand ), Berlin , Cape Town ( South Africa ), London , Los Angeles ( California , USA ), New York , São Paulo , Tokyo and Paris . There were, among others, Disclosure , Diplo , Lee Scratch Perry , Mike Skinner , ASAP Rocky , Jessie J , Skrillex , TNGHT , Labrinth, AlunaGeorge produced. One focus of the productions is on pop and rap .
Since October 1, 2008, a mobile phone contract has been offered by A1 Telekom Austria under the name Red Bull Mobile . Later, in cooperation with Sunrise Communications, a similar offer was launched in Switzerland under the same name, which was discontinued in February 2012 due to lack of success.
In addition to the well-known energy drink Red Bull (including Sugarfree, Total Zero, Orange Edition, Yellow Edition, Summer Edition (kiwi apple and mandarin), Spring Edition (cherry blossom) and Special Editions (cranberry, blueberry and lime)), Red Bull also produces another Cola drink called Red Bull Cola and water called Red Bull Lunaqua. Red Bull Lunaqua is still spring water bottled in Nüziders ( Vorarlberg ) , which, according to the manufacturer, is only taken when the moon is full .
- SC Forbes, DG Candow, JP Little, C. Maqnus, PD Chilibeck: Effect of Red Bull energy drink on repeated Wingate cycle performance and bench-press muscle endurance . In: International Journal of Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism . tape 17 , no. 5 , 2007, p. 433-444 , PMID 18046053 .
- Erin Mueller, Leah Rado, Megan Weise, Trevor Cass: Effects of Red Bull on Wingate Testing of College ages Students . In: Journal of Ungraduate Kinesiology Research . tape 2 , no. 2 , 2007, p. 12–18 (Pdf full text version (English)).
- Wolfgang Fürweger : The Red Bull story . The incredible success of Dietrich Mateschitz . Ueberreuter , Vienna 2008, ISBN 978-3-8000-7321-4 .
- Official website
- trend TOP 500: Red Bull GmbH
- Christian Spiller: The redbullization of sport , Die Zeit , October 16, 2012
- Energy Drinks: Red Bull with record sales of 5.5 billion euros , manager-magazin.de , February 20, 2019
- Red Bull most valuable beverage after Coca-Cola / Pepsi Die Presse from February 18, 2014
- The Secret of Red Bull ( Memento from April 3, 2015 in the Internet Archive )
- Red Bull increases sales ( Memento from January 20, 2012 in the Internet Archive ) in Wirtschaftsblatt from March 9, 2002
- Red Bull sold fewer cans in 2009 in Die Presse on February 24, 2010
- Company figures on redbull.de
- Austria's largest family business ( Memento from March 10, 2012 in the Internet Archive ) in Wirtschaftsblatt from March 8, 2012
- COMPANY FIGURES on redbull.de
- Mateschitz: Inventor & owner of the company Red Bull :: Energy Drink :: Red Bull Germany. In: energydrink-de.redbull.com. Retrieved April 20, 2016 .
- Sales of Red Bull worldwide by 2018 | Statistics. Retrieved June 4, 2019 .
- Red Bull record: Drunk three billion cans in 2006 on orf.at on February 7, 2007
- Red Bull sold fewer cans in 2009. In: DiePresse.com. February 24, 2010, accessed January 6, 2018 .
- New record win at Red Bull. In: oesterreich.orf.at. January 21, 2011, accessed October 26, 2018 .
- Austria's largest family business ( Memento from March 10, 2012 in the Internet Archive ) in Wirtschaftsblatt from March 8, 2012
- Eugen Waidhofer: Scuderia AlphaTauri: Formula 1 will be so attractive! Red Bull GmbH, February 11, 2020, accessed on August 16, 2020 .
- Red Bull Racing Team
- Red Bull's nascar team set for final run on redbull.com
- süddeutsche.de 
- merkur-online.de 
- faz.net: The fastest advertising column in the world
- See the holdings on trendtop500.at
- In order to comply with the 50 + 1 rule , the majority of the votes in the shareholders' meeting at RasenBallsport Leipzig e. V., which holds the remaining percent of the GmbH. The distribution of votes there, however, is unknown.
- Uwe Buse: Sports sponsor Red Bull: As if the dead never existed . In: Spiegel Online . January 2, 2017 ( spiegel.de [accessed September 18, 2019]).
- Deaths among Red Bull extreme athletes find a sad continuation - derStandard.de. Retrieved September 18, 2019 (Austrian German).
- Traces of cocaine: Four countries ban Red Bull Cola in Spiegel Online from May 23, 2009
- Explosive shower: Several federal states ban cocaine-cola in the Süddeutsche Zeitung of May 23, 2009
- Red Bull: Criticism of Cola ban in Frankfurter Rundschau from May 25, 2009
- No health risk from the cocaine content in Red Bull Simply Cola (PDF file; 66 kB) Health assessment by the BfR from May 27, 2009
- Nokia is the most valuable brand, Red Bull in twelfth place in Die Presse on September 17, 2008
- Austria's leading brand Red Bull worth almost 8 billion euros (PDF file; 24 kB), RNG press release, page 2, from July 5, 2005
- Death of an extreme athlete: Sharp criticism of Red Bull on diepresse.com from November 17, 2009
- Mourning for Ueli Gegenschatz , redbull.ch of November 16, 2009
- http://www.daserste.de/information/reportage-dokumentation/dokus/sendung/wdr/dunkle-seite-redbull-100.html ( Memento from May 1, 2013 in the Internet Archive )
- NDR: Red Bull bans Blue Bulls the name. Accessed August 31, 2019 .
- Top 100 YouTubers in Austria by Subscribed on socialblade.com from December 1, 2014
- Red Bull broadcasts via DVB-H ( memento from September 24, 2008 in the Internet Archive ) on horizont.at from June 5, 2008
- Red Bull buys “Salzburg TV” on ORF.at on December 20, 2007
- Salzburg TV founder leaves: Red Bull TV plans are more specific ( memento from March 6, 2016 in the Internet Archive ) on salzburg24.at from March 21, 2008
- Red Bull discovers the weather forecast , Handelsblatt , August 7, 2012
- GoPro and Red Bull enter into global partnership . In: Production Partner . May 27, 2016 ( online [accessed November 4, 2016]). GoPro and Red Bull enter into global partnership ( Memento from November 4, 2016 in the Internet Archive )
- Archived copy ( Memento of the original from April 17, 2009 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Austrian edition control : edition list 1st half of 2014 ( Memento of February 6, 2015 in the Internet Archive ) (PDF; 2.1 MB). Retrieved February 15, 2015
- orf.at - Red Bull Media House discontinues “Seitenblicke” magazine . Article dated October 14, 2016, accessed October 14, 2016.
- Red Bull Studios. In: real life pr. Retrieved November 4, 2016 .
- Red Bull enters the cell phone business in Der Standard from September 30, 2008
- Product description: Redbull sugarfree on redbull.at
- Special Editions on redbull.at