Calendar overview 1140
Conrad III. conquers Weinsberg Castle
after a long siege.
|1140 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||588/589 (turn of the year July)|
|Buddhist calendar||1683/84 (southern Buddhism); 1682/83 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||63rd (64th) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||502/503 (turn of the year April)|
|Iranian calendar||518/519 (around March 21)|
|Islamic calendar||534/535 (August 16-17)|
|Jewish calendar||4900/01 (September 13-14)|
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1450/51 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1451/52 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1196/97 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
Holy Roman Empire
- February 14 : . Vladislav II , after the death of his uncle I. Soběslav Duke of Bohemia .
- April: Heinrich II. Jasomirgott from the Babenberg family becomes Count Palatine near the Rhine .
- December 21 : King Conrad III. and his brother Friedrich II. of Swabia defeat the army under Welf VI that had rushed to the relief . and conquer Weinsberg Castle after a long siege. The women carry their men out of the castle and thus save their lives. The women are known as Treue Weiber von Weinsberg, the castle as Weibertreu . With the surrender, the castle comes into the possession of the Hohenstaufen , who appoint a ministerial family , the Lords of Weinsberg , to the castle.
Kingdom of England
Kingdom of Portugal / Reconquista
- Alfonso I of Portugal fails again when attempting to recapture Lisbon from the Moors.
- Reconquista : The Portuguese can retake Leiria .
First documentary mentions
- First documentary mention of Boncourt , Gumpoldskirchen , Kleinsachsenheim , Marktredwitz , Mönsheim , Rech , Rippoldsau , Schrezheim and Stetten am Heuchelberg
science and technology
- around 1140: The Camaldolese monk Gratian writes the Decretum Gratiani . From this the Corpus Iuris Canonici developed in the following centuries .
Culture and religion
- Friedrich II. Von Berg becomes provost of St. Georg in Cologne .
- Founding of the Cistercian monastery Hardehausen by the Paderborn bishop Bernhard I von Oesede
- Founding of Seckau Abbey by Adalram von Waldeck (also known as Adalram von Waldegg)
- around 1140: The Speculum virginum is created.
Historical maps and views
Exact date of birth unknown
- Bernhard , Elector and Archmarschall, Duke of Saxony, Margrave of Salzwedel, Count of Anhalt and Ballenstedt, Lord of Bernburg († 1212 )
- Hugo von Lincoln , Carthusian and Bishop of Lincoln, saint († 1200 )
- ʿAbd as-Salām ibn Maschīsch , Sufi († 1227 )
- Constance of Castile , Queen of France († 1160 )
- Manfred II , Margrave of Saluzzo († 1215 )
- Konrad von Rodank , Bishop of Brixen († 1216 )
- Simon II , Duke of Lorraine († 1206 )
- Ulrich I. von Rechberg , Marshal Philip of Swabia († around 1206 )
Born around 1140
- Hedwig von Ballenstedt , Margravine of Meißen († 1203 )
- William de Beaumont, 3rd Earl of Warwick , English magnate († 1184 )
- Bruno III von Berg , Archbishop of Cologne († around 1200 )
- Gilles de Corbeil , French doctor, teacher and poet († around 1224 )
- Ida von Toggenburg , Swiss saint († around 1226)
- Walter Map , Welsh writer, archdeacon in Oxford († between 1208 and 1210 )
- Roger de Vico Pisano , Bishop of Lausanne († 1220 )
- Beatrix of Burgundy , German Queen and Empress of the Holy Roman Empire († 1184 )
- Johann I , Archbishop and Elector of Trier († 1212 )
- Jehuda ben Samuel he-Chasid , German-Jewish scribe and philosopher († 1217 )
Date of death secured
- January 12th : Ludwig I , Landgrave of Thuringia
- February 6th : Thurstan , Archbishop of York
- February 13 : Wilhelm , Count of Weimar-Orlamünde and Count Palatine near the Rhine (* 1112 )
- February 14th : Leo I , Prince of Lesser Armenia
- February 14 : Soběslav I , Duke of Bohemia (* after 1068)
- April 28 : Sigward von Minden , Bishop of Minden
- May 6th : Geoffrey Rufus , Lord Chancellor of England
- August 31st : Godebold von Meissen , Bishop of Meissen
- September 16 : Vulgrin II , Count of Angoulême
- November 13th : Reginbert von Brixen , Bishop of Brixen
Exact date of death unknown
- Folpert van Arkel van der Leede , Lord of Ter Leede and Polsbroek (* around 1115 )
- Diego Gelmírez , Archbishop of Santiago de Compostela (* around 1069 )
- Jamal ad-Din Muhammad , Emir of Damascus
- Ulrich II of Constance , Bishop of Constance