|US state :||Mississippi|
|Administrative headquarters :||De Kalb|
|Address of the
P.O. Box 188
De Kalb, MS 39328-0188
|Foundation :||December 23, 1833|
|Made up from:||Choctaw land|
|Area code :||001 601|
|Residents :||10,456 (2010)|
|Population density :||5.3 inhabitants / km 2|
|Total area :||1987 km²|
|Water surface :||2 km²|
The county is located northeast of the geographic center of Mississippi, borders Alabama to the east and has an area of 1987 square kilometers, of which two square kilometers are water. It borders on the following counties:
|Winston County||Noxubee County|
Kemper County was formed on December 23, 1833 from parts of Choctaw land . It was named after Reuben Kemper , an American adventurer and freedom fighter who served under Andrew Jackson in the Battle of New Orleans .
Five buildings and sites in the county are listed on the National Register of Historic Places (as of February 1, 2018).
|growth of population|
|Before 1900 1900–1990
2000 + 2010
According to the 2000 census , Kemper County had 10,453 people in 3,909 households and 2,787 families. The population density was 5 people per square kilometer. The racial the population was composed of 39.03 percent white, 58.13 percent African American, 2.06 percent Native American, 0.08 percent Asian, 0.03 percent of residents from the Pacific island area and 0.11 percent from other ethnic groups Groups; 0.57 percent were descended from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any of the above mentioned groups were 0.73 percent of the population.
Of the 3,909 households, 32.2 percent had children under the age of 18 living with them. 46.7 percent were married couples living together, 20.2 percent were single mothers, and 28.7 percent were non-families. 26.4 percent of all households were single households and 12.6 percent had people aged 65 or over. The average household size was 2.57 and the average family size was 3.11.
25.4 percent of the population was under 18 years old, 12.5 percent between 18 and 24, 25.2 percent between 25 and 44, 21.8 percent between 45 and 64 years old, and 15.1 percent were 65 years or older . The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females there were statistically 92.2 males and for every 100 females age 18 or over there were 88.3 males.
The average income of a household amounted to 23,998 USD , for a family is 30,248 USD. Males had a median income of $ 24,431 versus $ 18,199 for females. The per capita income was $ 11,985. About 21.2 percent of families and 26.0 percent of the population were below the poverty line .
cities and communes
1 - predominantly in Neshoba County
- GNIS-ID: 695758. Retrieved on February 22, 2011 (English).
- Search mask database in the National Register Information System. National Park Service , accessed February 1, 2018.
- US Census Bureau _ Census of Population and Housing.Retrieved February 19, 2011
- Extract from Census.gov.Retrieved February 19, 2011
- Extract from census.gov (2000 + 2010) ( Memento of the original from July 13, 2011 on WebCite ) Info: The archive link was automatically inserted and not yet checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. Retrieved April 4, 2012
- Kemper County, Mississippi Datasheet showing the 2000 census results at factfinder.census.gov