City, University of London
|City, University of London|
|motto||to serve mankind|
|place||London , UK|
|Chancellor||Sir Paul Curran|
The City, University of London is a British university in Islington , adjacent to London City . University buildings can also be found in Holborn , Smithfield and Whitechapel . The university is known in the UK as City, University of London . The Cass Business School is one of the 40 best business schools worldwide and as the second best Business School in London. Together with Cardiff, the city is known as the " Oxbridge of journalism". In 2017, the City, University of London was ranked 18th in the UK according to the Times Higher Education “table to tables” ranking. The City Law School's Legal Practice Course has been recognized by the Solicitors Regulation Authority for its high quality.
The university dates back to 1894 when the Northampton Institute was founded. Charter divisions were those of mechanical engineering and metals trade, artistic skills, applied physics and electrical engineering, horology, electrochemistry, and domestic economy and trade. The Inns of Court School of Law, which merged with City University in 2001, was founded in 1852, making it the oldest part of the university.
In 1957, the name was changed to "Northampton College of Advanced Technology" as the range of courses was expanded to include technical and professional training in courses in mathematics and computer science.
In 1966 the college was given the royal charter and thus became a university. In October 1995 City University merged with the St Bartholomew School of Nursing & Midwifery and the Charterhouse College of Radiography .
The University's Chancellor is ex officio the Lord Mayor of London , the Mayor of the City of London. Alan Yarrow has been Chancellor of the university since 2014 , and Paul Curran is Vice Chancellor.
In 2015 it was announced that an affiliation of City University to the University of London was being discussed. City University has been a college of the University of London since September 1, 2016 and is officially called City, University of London.
City University has the following faculties:
- City Law School, affiliated with the Inns of Court School of Law
- School of Health Sciences, affiliated with the St Bartholomew School of Nursing & Midwifery
- School of Arts and Social Science with the City, University of London Journalism Department
- School of Mathematics, Computer Science and Engineering
- Sir John Cass Business School
- Tony Blair (* 1953), former Prime Minister of the United Kingdom
- Margaret Thatcher (1925–2013), former Prime Minister of the United Kingdom
- Mahatma Gandhi (1869–1948), human rights activist
- Ali Jinnah (1876–1948), politician in British India and founder of the State of Pakistan
- Stelios Haji-Ioannou (* 1967), founder of the easyjet aircraft company
- David Essex (born 1947), British singer and actor
- Grub Smith , English television presenter and journalist
- Sharon Maguire (* 1960), British film director
- Robin Milner (1934-2010), British computer scientist
- Website of the City University of London (English)
- Media studies? Do yourself a favor - forget it . In: The Guardian , September 3, 2001.
- City, University of London. Retrieved August 25, 2017 (American English).
- Solicitors Regulation Authority Executive Summary . Solicitors Regulation Authority. March 20, 2007. Archived from the original on December 7, 2010. Info: The archive link was automatically inserted and not yet checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. Retrieved June 11, 2009.
- A History of City University London . City University London. Archived from the original on January 18, 2013. Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. Retrieved October 1, 2012.
- Institute nurses health , Times Higher Education. October 6, 1995. Retrieved December 31, 2011.
- Archive link ( Memento of the original from April 8, 2007 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and not yet checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. strategy
- Archive link ( Memento of the original from April 2, 2015 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.