|Community association||Nice Cote d'Azur|
|surface||29.85 km 2|
|Residents||4,738 (January 1, 2017)|
|Population density||159 inhabitants / km 2|
View of Levens
Levens is a French municipality with 4738 inhabitants (at January 1, 2017) in the department of Alpes-Maritimes in the region Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur ; it belongs to the Arrondissement of Nice and the canton of Tourrette-Levens . It is a member of the Métropole Nice Côte d'Azur municipal association .
Levens was the center of the Ligurian tribe of the Leponti ; from this name Leventi developed in the time of the Romans and Leventio in the Middle Ages. The place was on the way from Cimiez (today a district of Nice) to Saint-Martin- Lantosque , its center is now the former castle of the Counts of Provence .
The Knights Templar established the Commanderie Notre-Dame-des-Prés in Levens after 1135, they were arrested on January 20, 1307 on the orders of Charles of Anjou . From the end of the 14th century Levens was separated from Provence and shared the fate of the county of Nice . The place came under the rule of the Grimaldi family .
See also: List of Monuments historiques in Levens
- In town
- Remains of the old castle
- Saint-Antonin church, first mentioned in 1286
- Chapel of the Pénitents blancs (early 14th century)
- Chapel of the Pénitents noirs (late 16th century)
- The Peira tourgnola (pierre tournante), a stone several meters high on the way to Albarea
- Saint-Antoine-de-Siga chapel
- Chapel of Sainte-Claire
- Chapel of Sainte-Pétronille
- Saint Joseph Chapel
- Saint-Michel chapel
- the former command of the Knights Templar of Notre-Dame-des-Prés
- Pierre Giletta (1568–1650), professor of theology in Nice, author of a Catholic Declaration de foi against the Calvinists .
- François Malausséna (1814–1882), Mayor of Nice, President of the Conseil général of Alpes-Maritimes.
- Jean-Baptiste Gilletta (1856–1933), farmer's son, famous photographer on the Côte d'Azur .
- Frédéric Maurandi (1863–1943), author of the Annales de Levens (1931).
- Pierre Robert Garino: Levens , Collection les Régionales , Serre éditeur, 1995, ISBN 2-86410-226-9 .
- Frédéric Maurandi: Les Annales de Levens , Nice, 1931, réédition Alandis, 1999, ISBN 2-913637-08-6 .
- Le Patrimoine des Communes des Alpes-Maritimes . Flohic Editions, Volume 1, Paris 2000, ISBN 2-84234-071-X , pp. 455-465.