Josef Pröll (born September 14, 1968 in Stockerau ) is a former Austrian politician ( ÖVP ). From December 2008 to April 2011 he was Vice Chancellor and Federal Minister of Finance of the Republic of Austria . From 2008 to 2011 he was federal party leader of the ÖVP.
He is currently Lower Austria. Landesjägermeister and President of the Board of Trustees of the Leopold Figl Foundation .
From 1978 to 1986 Pröll attended the federal high school in Hollabrunn . He completed his basic military service in 1986/1987 with the 32nd Landwehr Tribe Regiment in Horn . In 1993 he completed his studies in agricultural economics at the University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences in Vienna with a degree in engineering .
Pröll was a consultant for the Lower Austrian Chamber of Agriculture and a consultant for the Austrian Farmers' Union . He worked as an assistant to the EU MP Agnes Schierhuber , as director of the Viennese farmers 'union, as head of cabinet of Federal Minister Wilhelm Molterer and as director of the Austrian farmers' union. From February 28, 2003 to December 2, 2008 (Federal Governments Schüssel II and Gusenbauer ) he was Minister of Agriculture and the Environment.
Pröll was head of an ÖVP perspective group that worked out proposals for a reorientation of the party in 2007. After losses in the election on October 1, 2006, the ÖVP tried to find a socio-politically more liberal line. This led to conflicts between the Catholic-conservative and the liberal wing of the party. The press rated the result of the perspective group as "a positive surprise: Liberal, without forgetting conservative roots."
One day after the parliamentary elections in Austria in 2008 , Pröll appeared alongside Wilhelm Molterer as the party chairman. On an interim basis, he also took over the post of chairman of the ÖVP parliamentary club until the end of the formation of the government . On November 28, 2008, he was elected the new federal party chairman at the ÖVP party convention in Wels with 89.6% of the delegate's votes. A few days earlier, he had concluded the coalition negotiations with the SPÖ on renewed government cooperation.
Due to the economic developments in 2009, Pröll soon had to revise his promise of 2008 "We want to lower taxes, we want to help the families, that will be implemented quickly". Under his aegis, an austerity package was passed.
After a pulmonary embolism in March 2011, Pröll, then 42 years old, announced on April 13, 2011 that he would be withdrawing from all political offices for health reasons. He proposed Foreign Minister Michael Spindelegger as his successor as ÖVP chairman and vice chancellor . This appointed Maria Fekter as successor for the Ministry of Finance . The replacement in the government functions took place on April 21, 2011 and that for the party office at the federal party conference on May 20, 2011.
On July 1, 2011, Josef Pröll became spokesman for the board of the Leipnik-Lundenburger conglomerate belonging to Raiffeisen-Holding Niederösterreich-Wien . On April 14, 2012 he took over the post of state hunter master from Christian Konrad . Since September 5, 2012 he has been President of the Ludwig Boltzmann Society .
Pröll lives in Vienna. He has been married since 1990 and has three children (one son, two daughters). He is a nephew of the Lower Austrian governor Erwin Pröll .
Josef Pröll is an honorary member of the K.Ö.HV Amelungia Vienna (2005) in the ÖCV and the K.ö.St.V. Arminia Hollabrunn (2010) in the MKV. Pröll is a member of the supervisory board of various companies and associations such as the football club Austria Wien , Agrana , Siemens Austria and Casinos Austria .
- NÖLJV | Bureau. Retrieved October 3, 2019 .
- Leopold Figl scholarships for 200 pupils and students - State of Lower Austria. Retrieved March 8, 2018 .
- The Military Service Careers of Our Politicians. In: DiePresse.com. October 9, 2010, accessed August 9, 2019 .
- "Pröll's calling card as an enlightened bourgeois" ( Memento from December 1, 2008 in the Internet Archive ) Comment by Martina Salomon on the perspective group in Die Presse from October 1, 2007
- Josef Pröll elected ÖVP boss with 89.6% , ORF NÖ, November 28, 2008
- Austria has a new government finanznachrichten.de from November 25, 2008
- Inauguration of the Federal Government 2008 ( Memento of the original from December 5, 2008 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. orf.at
- December 2008 Federal Chancellor Faymann and Vice Chancellor Pröll in an interview with “Zeit im Bild 2” -bka.gv.at ( Memento from December 19, 2008 in the Internet Archive )
- "Anyone who pays taxes mustn't be stupid" , Wiener Zeitung, November 30, 2010
- Pröll will resign orf.at of April 13, 2011
- Josef Pröll goes Raiffeisen - as head of Leipnik-Lundenburger ( Memento from July 28, 2014 in the Internet Archive ); Wirtschaftsblatt, June 1, 2011
- When Josef Pröll blows the march. Der Standard , April 15, 2012, accessed April 16, 2012 .
- Josef Pröll is head of the Boltzmann Society. orf.at , September 6, 2012, accessed on September 6, 2012 .
- Wiener Zeitung : Biography of Josef Pröll ( memento of March 6, 2010 in the Internet Archive ), January 10, 2007/25. November 2008
- Complete directory of the Austrian Cartel Association (ÖCV)
- Company holdings and functions according to the commercial register. Retrieved June 27, 2017 .
- Literature by and about Josef Pröll in the catalog of the German National Library
- Josef Pröll on the website of the Austrian Parliament
- Entry on Josef Pröll in the database of the state's memory of the history of Lower Austria ( Museum Niederösterreich )
- CV and information on the website of the Austrian People's Party
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Austrian politician (ÖVP), member of the National Council, Vice Chancellor and Federal Minister of Finance|
|DATE OF BIRTH||September 14, 1968|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Stockerau|