O-Töne is a literature festival on contemporary Austrian literature that has been held annually since 2004 in the MuseumsQuartier in Vienna . The readings take place under the open sky at dusk at various locations within the museum complex.
Since the first event in 2004, the O-Töne program has been to present “a new generation of Austrian authors who have a major impact on the current literary discourse in this country” and to make “the broad spectrum of contemporary spelling visible” . Gabriela Hegedüs and Christoph Möderndorfer are responsible for the festival management, concept and implementation . Curator of the series is Thomas Keul , editor of the literary magazine " FULL TEXT ".
In contrast to major literary festivals elsewhere, the authors and the texts they have presented should be the focus of O-Töne. Both already published and unpublished texts will be presented at the readings.
Since 2005, the individual readings have been introduced by well-known literary scholars and critics, who are intended to bring the audience closer to the classification of the text in the overall works of the lecturer and the literary life of Austria as a whole.
Quotes 2004 (July 8th - August 26th)
Opening concert: Dimitré Dinev and band
- Xaver Bayer
- Dimitré Dinev (reading and opening concert)
- Arno Geiger
- Thomas Glavinic
- Sabine Gruber
- Daniel Kehlmann
- Thomas Raab
- Kathrin Röggla
Original sound 2005 (July 7th - August 25th)
- Maria E. Brunner (Introduction: Daniela Strigl )
- Erwin Einzinger (Introduction: Fritz Ostermayer )
- Arno Geiger (Introduction: Stefan Gmünder )
- Paulus Hochgatterer (Introduction: Klaus Nüchtern )
- Eva Menasse (Introduction: Günter Kaindlstorfer )
- Peter Rosei (Introduction: Wendelin Schmidt-Dengler )
- Clarissa Stadler (Introduction: Anton Thuswaldner )
- Linda Stift (Introduction: Karin Fleischanderl )
Quotes 2006 (July 13th - August 31st)
Opening concert: Kollegium Kalksburg
- Bettina Balàka (Introduction: Karin Fleischanderl )
- Thomas Glavinic (Introduction: Daniela Strigl )
- Evelyn Grill (Introduction: Alexandra Millner )
- Wolf Haas (in conversation with Claus Philipp )
- Josef Haslinger (Introduction: Günter Kaindlstorfer )
- Peter Henisch (Introduction: Volker Kaukoreit )
- Alois Hotschnig (Introduction: Anton Thuswaldner )
- Michael Stavarič (Introduction: Stefan Gmünder )
Quotes 2007 (July 12th - August 30th)
- Franzobel (in conversation with Günter Kaindlstorfer )
- Arno Geiger (Introduction: Günther A. Höfler )
- Sabine Gruber (Introduction: Klaus Kastberger )
- Klaus Hoffer (Introduction: Peter Jandl )
- Robert Menasse (in conversation with Günter Kaindlstorfer )
- Martin Prinz (Introduction: Stefan Gmünder )
- Margit Schreiner (Introduction: Daniela Strigl )
- Josef Winkler (Introduction: Wendelin Schmidt-Dengler )
Quotes 2008 (July 3rd - August 21st)
Opening concert: Sex, violence & good mood group
- Franz Schuh (in conversation with Claus Philipp )
- Friederike Mayröcker & Andrea Winkler (Introduction: Daniela Strigl )
- Angelika Reitzer (Introduction: Sebastian Fasthuber )
- Xaver Bayer (Introduction: Sabine Gruber )
- Olga Flor (Introduction: Daniela Strigl )
- Gustav Ernst (Introduction: Klaus Kastberger )
- Max Blaeulich (Introduction: Paul Jandl )
- Norbert Gstrein (Introduction: Stefan Gmünder )
Quotes 2009 (July 9th - August 27th)
- Melitta Breznik (Introduction: Stefan Gmünder )
- Franzobel (guitar: Thomas Gansch , introduction: Stefan Gmünder )
- Wolf Haas (closing event)
- Walter Kappacher and Thomas Stangl (Introduction: Klaus Kastberger )
- Robert Menasse (Introduction: Günter Kaindlstorfer )
- Peter Rosei (Introduction: Paul Jandl )
- Verena Roßbacher (Introduction: Anton Thuswaldner )
- Gernot Wolfgruber (Moderation: Günter Kaindlstorfer )
Quotes 2010 (July 8th - August 26th)
Opening concert: Die Strottern
- Clemens Berger (Introduction: Klaus Zeyringer )
- Arno Geiger (Moderation: Felicitas von Lovenberg )
- Andrea Grill (Introduction: Daniela Strigl )
- Monika Helfer (Introduction: Stefan Gmünder )
- Paulus Hochgatterer (Introduction: Klaus Kastberger )
- Michael Köhlmeier (moderation: Klaus Nüchtern )
- Karl-Markus Gauß (Introduction: Daniela Strigl )
- Lydia Mischkulnig (Introduction: Paul Jandl )
Quotes 2011 (July 7th - August 25th)
In contrast to previous years, the o-töne 2011 present both Austrian authors and authors from other European countries as part of “Austrian-European double features”. The compilation was carried out by curator Thomas Keul in cooperation with Pro Helvetia and the Vienna branches of the Istituto Italiano di Cultura , the Institut français and the Romanian Cultural Institute , as well as the Czech Center Vienna , the Polish Institute Vienna , the Slovak Institute in Vienna and the Embassy of Finland .
A preview on June 20 in cooperation with the Collegium Hungaricum and the Embassy of Estonia presented the Hungarian writer Péter Esterházy , musically accompanied by László Dés and followed by a concert by the Estonian singer Siiri Sisask .
Melinda Nadj Abonji (CH): "Pigeons fly up"
Linda Stift (AT): "Not a single day"
Giorgio Vasta (I): "The Glass Eaters"
Maja Haderlap (AT): "Angels of Forgetting"
Roel Verschueren (B): "Be silent when you speak"
Clemens J. Setz (AT): "Love at the time of the Mahlstadt child" (Introduction: Daniela Strigl )
Mircea Cărtărescu (RO): "The body", had to cancel his visit for family reasons.
Franz Schuh (AT): "The crutch cactus"
Michal Hvorecký (SK): "Eskorta"
Josef Haslinger (AT): "Jachymov"
Jaroslav Rudiš (CZ): "Konec punku v Helsinkách"
Evelyn Schlag (AT): "The great freedom of Ferenc Puskás"
Hannu Raittila (FIN): "The Clarification"
Peter Henisch (AT): "Grand Finale for Novak"
Quotes 2012 (July 5th - August 30th)
As the organizers declared, due to the large number of visitors, the 2012 quotes no longer comprised eight, but nine evenings. The first excerpts from current book publications were presented at six of the readings.
Opening concert: Diknu Schneeberger Trio
- Raoul Schrott : "The silent child"
Friederike Mayröcker : "I'm just sitting there CRUELY"
Milena Michiko Flašar : "I called him a tie"
- Cornelia Travnicek : "Chucks"
- Julya Rabinowich : "The Earth Eater"
- Lilian Faschinger : "The Inseparable"
- Walter Grond : "My daydream Trieste"
- Olga Flor : "The Queen is dead"
- Clemens J. Setz : "Indigo"
- Wolf Haas : "Defense of the Missionary Position"
Quotes 2013 (July 11th - August 29th)
- Robert Schindel : "The Cold One" (Moderation: Clarissa Stadler )
Barbara Aschenwald : "Omka" (Introduction: Stefan Gmünder )
Josef Winkler : "Vocabulary of the night" and "Mother and the pencil"
- Michael Köhlmeier : "The Adventures of Joel Spazierer" (Introduction: Stefan Gmünder)
- Doris Knecht : "Better" (Introduction: Sebastian Fasthuber )
- Norbert Gstrein : "An inkling from the beginning" (Introduction: Klaus Nüchtern )
- Eva Menasse : "Quasicrystals" (Introduction: Fatima Naqvi )
- David Schalko : "KNOI" (Introduction: Günter Kaindlstorfer )
- Thomas Glavinic : "The greater miracle" (Introduction: Paul Jandl )
Quotes 2014 (July 10th - August 28th)
- Marlene Streeruwitz : "Descendants" (Moderation: Katja Gasser )
Lydia Mischkulnig : "The Use of Desires" (Introduction: Klaus Zeyringer )
Antonio Fian : "The Polykrates Syndrome"
- Angelika Reitzer : "We inherit" (Introduction: Klaus Kastberger )
- Alfred Goubran : "Through the time in my room" (Introduction: Stefan Gmünder )
Teresa Präauer : "Johnny and Jean" (Introduction: Günter Kaindlstorfer )
Franz Schuh : "All Passions"
- Michael Köhlmeier : "Two gentlemen on the beach" (Introduction: Robert Vellusig )
- Daniel Glattauer : "Given" (Introduction: Sebastian Fasthuber )
- Wolf Haas : "Brennerova"
Quotes 2015 (July 9th - August 27th)
Opening concert: Schmied's pulse
- Arno Geiger : "Self-portrait with a hippopotamus" (Moderation: Clarissa Stadler )
Isabella Straub : "The Festival of the Wind Turbine" (Introduction: Brigitte Schwens-Harrant )
Sandra Gugić : "Astronauts"
- Valerie Fritsch : "Winter's Garden" (Introduction: Stefan Gmünder )
- Clemens J. Setz : "As happy as lead in grain" (Introduction: Paul Jandl )
- Gustav Ernst : "To the impossible prospect" (Introduction: Bernhard Fetz )
- Vea Kaiser : "Makarionissi or The Island of the Blessed" (Introduction: Sebastian Fasthuber )
- Martin Amanshauser : "The fish in the matchbox" (Introduction: Sebastian Fasthuber)
- Karl-Markus Gauß : "Everyday life in the world" (Introduction: Günter Kaindlstorfer )
Opening concert: Martin Klein
- Thomas Glavinic : The Jonas Complex
- Eva Schmidt : A long year
- Norbert Gstrein : In the free world
- Michael Köhlmeier : The girl with the thimble
- Friederike Mayröcker : fleurs
- Sabine Gruber : Daldossi or The Life of the Moment
- Teresa Präauer : Oh Schimmi
- Heinrich Steinfest : The life and death of aircraft
- Quotes debuts:
- Katharina Winkler : Blue jewelry
- Irmgard Fuchs : We cut the force of gravity
- Friederike Gösweiner : Sad freedom
- Petra Piuk : Lucy flies
- Verena Mermer : the voice above the roofs
- Daniel Zipfel : A handful of raisins
- Margit Mössmer : The speechlessness of the fish
- Richard Schuberth : Chronicle of a happy conspiracy
Quotes 2017 (July 6th - August 24th)
Opening concert: Violetta Parisini
- Quotes debuts:
- Birgit Birnbacher : We without a whale
- Mascha Dabić : Frictional losses
- Christopher Just : The fashion detective
- Rosemarie Poiarkov : The prospects are overestimated
- Irene Diwiak : Liebwies
- Jakob Pretterhofer : Day watch
- Ingrid Kaltenegger : Happiness is a bird
- Laura Freudenthaler : The queen is silent
Quotes 2018 (July 12th - August 30th)
Opening concert: Stefan Sterzinger
- Robert Seethaler : The field
- Arno Geiger : Under the dragon wall
- Milena Michiko Flašar : Mr. Kato plays family
- Norbert Gstrein : The coming years
- David Schalko : Heavy bones
- Verena Roßbacher : I was a servant in the Hobbs house
- Daniel Wisser : Queen of the Mountains
- Peter Henisch : Seven and a half lives , May is over and Pepi Prohaska Prophet
- Quotes debuts:
- Marie Gamillscheg : Everything that glitters
- Yara Lee : As if you were on the high seas
- Barbara Rieger : Until the end, Marie
- Ljuba Arnautović : In secret
- Helmut Neundlinger : One two Fittipaldi
- Tanja Paar : The intact
- David Fuchs : Before we leave
- Bernhard Strobel : In the front yard of the palm tree
Quotes 2019 (July 11th - August 29th)
- Clemens J. Setz : The consolation of round things
- Karl-Markus Gauß : An adventurous journey through my room
- Laura Freudenthaler : Ghost story
- Vea Kaiser : Backward waltz
- Marlene Streeruwitz : Wall of Flames
- Robert Prosser : Gemma Habibi
- Gertraud Klemm : Hippocampus
- Bettina Balàka : The pigeons from Brno
- Quotes debuts:
Quotes 2020 (July 16 - September 3)
- Xaver Bayer : Stories with Marianne
- Valerie Fritsch : Heart valves from Johnson & Johnson
- Birgit Birnbacher : Me by my side
- Josef Haslinger : My case
- Hubert Achleitner : Fleeting
- Friederike Mayröcker : because I am moss green in the morning. Go to the window
- Lisa Eckhart : Grandma
- Sandra Gugić : anger and silence
- Quotes debuts:
- Helena Adler : The Infanta wears the parting on the left
- Dominik Barta : From the country
- Gunther Neumann : Above everything and nothing
- Lucia Leidenfrost : We abandoned children
- Benjamin Quaderer : Forever the Alps
- Sebastian Janata : The Ambassador
- Mercedes Spannagel : The palace must be on fire
- Stephan Roiss : Triceratops
- Der Standard : Mircea Cartarescu had to cancel her visit to Vienna , July 27, 2011
- literary festival O-TONES MuseumsQuartier in Vienna. Retrieved June 21, 2019 .
- MQ: 17th O-TÖNE literature festival starts. June 29, 2020, accessed June 29, 2020 .