European Free Alliance
|European Free Alliance|
|Party leader||Lorena Lopez de Lacalle ( EA )|
|Secretary General||Jordi Solé ( ERC )|
|Treasurer||Anke Spoorendonk ( SSW )|
|Place of foundation||Brussels|
1000 Brussels , Belgium
|Youth organization||European Free Alliance Youth|
|Affiliate foundation||Coppieters Foundation|
|Government grants||777,490 euros (2016, provisional)|
Greens / EFA (5)
GUE / NGL ( 1 )
The European Free Alliance ( EFA ) is a European political party that comprises national, regional and autonomous parties of the European Union . Today 47 European regional parties are members of the EFA. The party chairman is Lorena Lopez de Lacalle from Eusko Alkartasuna and the chairman of the EFA group in the European Parliament has been Oriol Junqueras from the Esquerra Republicana de Catalunya since January 7, 2020 .
The members run for the European elections . The EFA is currently represented by 9 MEPs in the European Parliament. The EFA has officially formed a parliamentary group since 1999 under the name The Greens / European Free Alliance . The EFA provides the group's first vice-chairman, who is currently Oriol Junqueras. In contrast to this, individual, mostly Spanish, EFA members join the left-wing GUE / NGL and the members of the Flemish N-VA have belonged to the national conservative ECR since 2014 .
|1999||G / EFA|
|2004||G / EFA|
|2009||G / EFA|
|2014||G / EFA, EKR|
|2019||G / EFA, EKR|
The EFA was founded in 1981 in Brussels as an association for the cooperation of political parties that differ from traditional politics and focus on comprehensive regionalism and decentralization. In 1994 the EFA was constituted as a federation of parties in accordance with the provisions of Article 138 A of the Treaties of the European Union. At a congress on March 25 and 26, 2004 in Barcelona , the EFA was founded as a political party in accordance with the new EU regulations (EC 2004/2003; decision of the Council and the European Parliament of November 4, 2003). On October 13, 2004, the European Free Alliance was officially recognized as a political party at European level.
On March 11, 2006, the EFA celebrated its 25th anniversary at a plenary meeting in Brussels.
The EFA has (as of November 16, 2019) 47 member parties:
- Green: Members of The Greens / European Free Alliance (3)
- Blue: Members of the European Conservatives and Reformists Group (3)
|country||Political party||Region or minority||MEP||
|Italy||Partito Sardo d'Azione||Sardinia||-||-|
|country||MEP name||Political party|
|Germany||Klaus Buchner||Ecological Democratic Party|
|France||François Alfonsi||Régions et peuples solidaires|
|Spain||Pernando Barrena *||EH Bildu|
- Green: Members of The Greens / European Free Alliance (2)
- Red: Member of the Confederal Group of the European United Left / Nordic Green Left (1)
On November 9, 2000, the EFA published a programmatic Brussels declaration in which the “stateless nations” of Europe set out the principles of their regionalism. Accordingly, the EFA is an advocate of a European Union of free peoples who show solidarity with one another, based on the principle of subsidiarity . It acts in the sense:
- the defense of human and international rights,
- environmental protection and sustainable development,
- building a just society with political solidarity that promotes progress, social cohesion and equal opportunities,
- a reorientation of the European Union which is too influenced by its economic concepts and which tends too much towards a policy of liberalization, competition and centralism ,
- non-violence in pursuing political goals,
- the abolition of nuclear energy and the development of alternative energies,
- ensuring the participation of the regions with constitutional authority in the meetings of the Council of Ministers when they deal with matters that fall within the competence of the regions in order to improve the recognition of historical nations and regions,
- the direct access of historical nations and regions to the European Court of Justice ,
- the democratic reforms of the European institutions and a strengthening of the Committee of the Regions and
- the defense and protection of linguistic and cultural differences in the European Union.
In 2007 the principles of the EFA were expanded in the Bilbao Declaration . This contains:
- Fight against racism , anti-Semitism , discrimination , xenophobia and Islamophobia and
- improved naturalization options for migrants and the right to vote for migrants.
- Official website of the EFA
- Organizing for a Europe of the Regions: The European Free Alliance-DPPE and Political Representation in the European Union
- The EFA Presidium
- contact address , at European Free Alliance
- Oriol Junqueras elected President of the EFA Group in the European Parliament. In: efa.org. January 7, 2020, accessed on February 7, 2020 .
- Memberthe European Free Alliance
- Unitat Catalana ( Memento of the original from January 23, 2014 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- ALPE (Autonomy - Liberté - Participation - Ecology)
- Liga Veneta Repubblica
- Mebyon Kernow - The Party for Cornwall
- EFA parties win 12 seats at European Parliament elections. In: efa.org. May 27, 2019, accessed June 2, 2019 .