A construction company is a company in the construction industry that provides structural and civil engineering services as well as other construction services. Construction work refers to everything that is used to manufacture, repair, maintain, modify or remove structures .
No construction work in this sense is performed by companies
- whose activity consists primarily in the fact other companies in the construction industry jigs, construction equipment, machinery or other construction operations means no staff to ask for payment available (equipment rental)
- or who mainly produce building materials , components or bulk raw materials for the market (building material producer)
- as well as companies that make concrete unloading equipment commercially available.
As a rule, construction companies are involved in the commissioned construction work on land that is not owned by them . In addition to execution services, construction companies can also offer planning and other comprehensive construction-related services.
Depending on the scope of the services that a company provides for the respective order, one speaks of
- Specialist contractor (a trade )
- General contractor (all trades)
- General contractor (additional planning services).
The subcontractor is a company that provides construction work on behalf of another construction company, e.g. B. provides the general contractor.
In addition, there is the general contractor , who does not carry out his own construction work, but has the construction carried out entirely by contracted companies (subcontractors). If he also provides planning services, it is sometimes referred to as the total contractor.
A distinction must be made between the building contractor and the building developer / developer, who usually have construction work performed on their own property by other building companies in their own name and at their own risk.
Construction companies are mainly managed by technically trained people. Building trades companies must have a skilled trades manager who has the respective right to exercise. This includes master bricklayers as well as master concrete and road builders , but also engineers from relevant fields such as civil engineering and cultural engineering.
In 2008, the construction industry in Germany comprised 14,117 companies with at least 20 employees. 643,000 people were employed in companies in the construction industry, with a turnover of 86,964 million euros.
List of the largest construction companies in Germany
Wikipedia-relevant companies with over 40 million € (without claim to completeness)
The list is sortable.
List of the largest construction companies in Switzerland
The list is sortable.
|Companies||Seat||Canton||Sales in million Swiss francs|
|Renew construction company||Laufenburg||AG||367|
- ↑ Definition of construction work in Section 175 (2) SGB III
- ↑ Statistical data for the construction industry. (No longer available online.) Federal Statistical Office Online, archived from the original on August 13, 2009 ; Retrieved June 2, 2009 .
- ↑ Q1: HOCHTIEF increases net profit by 40% as of May 10, 2017
- ↑ The order situation at ZÜBLIN was better than ever as of May 30, 2017
- ↑ Bilfinger Berger: The beginning of the year marked by the strategic realignment May 15, 2017
- ↑ STRABAG AG, Cologne, closes the 2016 financial year with € 139 million EBT
- ↑ Goldbeck GmbH: Numbers, data, facts
- ^ Max Bögl: employees, construction work
- ↑ BAUER AG: confirmed turnaround in operating business with first quarter May 15, 2017
- ↑ PORR significantly increases production output in Q1 / 2017 (from June 20, 2017)
- ↑ own information of the Geiger Group 2019
- ↑ Own information on www.apoprojekt.de Lars Wiederhold: APOprojekt increases its construction volume. In: Immobilien Zeitung . February 7, 2019, accessed July 25, 2019 .