from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Template: Infobox municipality in Italy / maintenance / coat of arms missingNo coat of arms available.
Leverano (Italy)
Country Italy
region Apulia
province Lecce  (LE)
Coordinates 40 ° 17 '  N , 18 ° 5'  E Coordinates: 40 ° 17 '0 "  N , 18 ° 5' 0"  E
height 49  m slm
surface 48.77 km²
Residents 13,956 (Dec. 31, 2019)
Population density 286 inhabitants / km²
Post Code 73045
prefix 0832
ISTAT number 075037
Popular name Leveranesi
Patron saint Rochus of Montpellier
Website Leverano

Leverano (local name: Liranu ) is a southern Italian municipality ( comune ) with 13,956 inhabitants (as of December 31, 2019) in the province of Lecce in Apulia . The municipality is located in northeast Salento about 16 kilometers west-southwest of Lecce . The Ionian Sea is 9 kilometers to the west.


Church and Convent of Santa Maria delle Grazie .

Leverano was destroyed several times. First by the Ostrogoths under Totila before his death in 552. Finally, in the 9th century, the Saracens succeeded in destroying the place. A fortification (the Torre Friedriciana), which corresponds to the Norman design, was built in 1220 to protect against pirates. Its name comes from the Staufer Friedrich II.


Wine from Leverano is protected by the Designation of Origin ( DOC ). Red Leverano DOC consists of 65% Negroamaro and 35% Montepulciano , Sangiovese or Malvasia . The alcohol content is at least 12 percent by volume . White Leverano must be at least 11 percent by volume. It must consist of 65% white Malvasia ( Malvasia Bianca ). The remaining 35% can be supplemented with Trebbiano or Bombino Bianco .

Community partnerships

Leverano has partnerships with the Greek Sfakiotes in the regional district of Lefkada on the Ionian Islands and with the Spanish city of Guillena in the province of Seville .

Individual evidence

  1. Statistiche demografiche ISTAT. Monthly population statistics of the Istituto Nazionale di Statistica , as of December 31 of 2019.

Web links

Commons : Leverano  - collection of images, videos and audio files