|coat of arms||Germany map|
|Association municipality :||Calibration|
|Height :||87 m above sea level NHN|
|Area :||21.02 km 2|
|Residents:||3691 (Dec. 31, 2019)|
|Population density :||176 inhabitants per km 2|
|Postal code :||67575|
|Area code :||06246|
|License plate :||AZ|
|Community key :||07 3 31 018|
|Association administration address:||Hauptstrasse 26
|Local Mayor :||Klaus Willius ( SPD )|
|Location of the local community of Eich in the Alzey-Worms district|
Eich is located in Rheinhessen between its neighboring towns:
- Gimbsheim in the north
- Hamm am Rhein in the east
- Worms-Ibersheim in the south and
- Mettenheim in the west.
The first documentary mention was made in the Lorsch Codex in the 14th year of King Karl's reign in the period between October 781 and October 782 on the occasion of a gift from Wanbert in Heichinen (Eich). At that time, Lorsch Abbey was given two court rides with two lifts , seven meadows and three serfs . The next five written documents from Eich are also contained in the Lorsch Codex.
The former places upper (superior) and lower (inferior) Lochheim are no longer present today due to the floods and changes in the course of the Rhine, but documents in the Lorsch Codex still remind of this.
On March 22, 1515, Franz von Sickingen took away a loaded Rhine ship with citizens of Worms on the Rhine because they had not met a request for payment beforehand. Several councilors and the former mayor were brought to the Ebernburg and only released for a heavy ransom .
The local council in Eich consists of 20 council members, who were elected in a personalized proportional representation in the local elections on May 26, 2019 , and the honorary local mayor as chairman.
The distribution of seats in the municipal council:
- FWG = Free Voting Community Eich e. V.
- GLA = Green List Altrhein e. V.
- 1946–1966 Rudolf Becker (SPD)
- 1966–1979 Hans Ludwig Menger (FWG), holder of the ring of honor of the municipality of Eich
- 1979–1994 Günter Reich (SPD), bearer of the ring of honor of the municipality of Eich
- 1994 – today Klaus Willius (SPD)
In the local elections on May 26, 2019, Klaus Willius was confirmed in his office with 75.38% of the votes.
coat of arms
|Blazon : "Under a red shield head, inside a golden acorn with two leaves, in silver a blue oblique bar covered with a silver fish."|
|Justification of the coat of arms: The fish shows the history of the place as a fishing village, the blue bar stands for the Rhine. The acorn indicates the name of the community.|
Culture and sights
The Eicher lake is too calibration and Hamm belonging Stretch with access to the Rhine . It is also called the "Rheinhessisches Meer" because it is the largest lake in Rheinhessen. The lake is surrounded by a few hundred weekend houses and has a marina where large yachts can moor.
In addition to the Protestant church choir, there is also the male choir, the Singers Association , the Protestant trombone choir and the Catholic St. Michaels Choir. The ecumenical church choir sings in the Catholic and Protestant churches, the Protestant trombone choir Eich plays regularly in the church, but also performs at events outside of the church. The Mandolin Club Goldklang , the musical train of the Eich volunteer fire brigade , act as further musical ambassadors for Eich.
- See also: List of cultural monuments in Eich
- Classicist column
- Opposite Osthofener Strasse 60, at the junction to Alsheimer Weg, there is this classicistic column as a reminder of the 'Eicher Strasse from Rheinstrasse to the Rhine' with 3695 fathoms = approx. 9.24 km from the years 1828/29. This refers to the then valid " Grand Ducal Hessian Measure of Length": Of which four feet are one meter , 10 one Grand Ducal Hessian fathoms and 1500 fathoms are an hour .
- Old school house
The schoolhouse was used from 1904. It has two and a half floors with apartment. It was occupied with a Protestant and a Catholic class. In 1927 a girls' training school was set up in the basement. From Easter 1934 there was no more denominational school and the classes were merged. After the school rooms were closed in 1966, the lower part of the school building was used as a commercial space in 1967. The rooms have been used for a youth club on the ground floor since 1978 and a local history museum was set up on the first floor in the same year.
With the Altrheinhalle, Eich has had a sports facility with 6,000 seats since 1974, which is also used for concerts and television broadcasts. In the vicinity of the hall there are also competition facilities for athletics and a tennis facility (since 1977). There is a sailing club and two boules lanes on Lake Eicher . A beach has been set up on the Altrheinsee. There is also the gymnastics club from 1888 Eich, FC Germania 07 Eich, the Blau-Weiß tennis club and two fishing clubs. They are the AC Rheinlust 1954 Eich and the ASV Eich.
- From 1992 to 2013 the so-called motorcycle blessing took place on the second Saturday after Easter . For this purpose, over 12,000 motorcyclists from all over Germany came to the town and had their motorbike and themselves blessed in order to then take part in a trip through the whole region. The series of events was abandoned due to tightening of the assembly regulations and reimbursement of costs for the rescue services from 2014. In 2006 the blessing was given by Karl Cardinal Lehmann .
- In addition, the Eich volunteer fire brigade organizes the three-day Altrheinfest every year on the last weekend in June.
Economy and Infrastructure
Born in Eich
- Werner Krämer (* 1940), Roman Catholic theologian and university professor
With reference to the community
- Bernhard Dreymann (1788–1857), organ builder, created the organ of the Protestant church in 1844
- Friedrich Magnus Schwerd (1792–1871), high school teacher, geodesist, astronomer and physicist, received private lessons from the Catholic priest Bernhard Nägele in Eich
- Ignaz Sacrificemann (1799–1866), architect and construction officer, planned the Protestant parish church in Eich, construction began in 1839
- Gustav Eberlein (1847–1926), sculptor, painter and writer, created the war memorial in Eich in 1870/71
- Klaus Baranenko (1941–2011), photographer, photographed the landscape around Eich
- Walter Passian (1949–2017), writer and playwright, created Singspiele for the Musical Days in Eich
in alphabetical order by authors / editors
- Karl Johann Brilmayer : Rheinhessen in the past and present , Gießen 1905, pp. 118–120.
- Ludwig Drach: Chronicle of the emigrants from Eich 1851/52 , published by the municipality of Eich.
- Jacob Grimm : Weisthümer, Part 1 , Göttingen 1840, Weisthum zu Eichen from 1340, p. 808.
- Henning Kaufmann: Rheinhessische Ortnames , Munich 1976, pp. 47–49.
- Dieter Krienke and Ingrid Westerhoff: Alzey Worms district. Verbandsgemeinden Eich, Monsheim and Wonnegau = monument topography Federal Republic of Germany . Cultural monuments in Rhineland-Palatinate 20.3. Wernersche Verlagsgesellschaft , Worms 2018. ISBN 978-3-88462-379-4 , pp. 53–61.
- Karl Josef Minst: Lorscher Codex , German, Volume III, Lorsch 1970, Eicher documents no .: 1450, 1860, 1880–81, 1965.
- Lucia Reuter-Matejka: 1200 years of Eich , Eich 1981.
- Klaus Rädle: The Nibelung Treasure - A Search for Traces. Berlin Pro Business 2011, ISBN 978-3-86805-904-5 .
- Günter Reich:
- Eich and its agriculture through the ages , Eich 2000.
- Documentation on the Eicher local roads 1700 to 1950 , Eich 2002
- Eicher family book, a documentation over 250 years , 2 volumes A – K and L – Z, Eich 2009.
- Official website of the local community of Eich
- Historical information about Eich at regionalgeschichte.net
- State Statistical Office of Rhineland-Palatinate - population status 2019, districts, communities, association communities ( help on this ).
- Minst, Karl Josef [transl.]: Lorscher Codex (Volume 3), document 1881, between October 781 and October 782 - reg. 1792. In: Heidelberger historical stocks - digital. Heidelberg University Library, p. 333 , accessed on January 17, 2018 .
- List of places for the Lorsch Codex, Eich , Archivum Laureshamense - digital, Heidelberg University Library.
- List of places for the Lorsch Codex, Wüstung Lochheim , Archivum Laureshamense - digital, Heidelberg University Library.
- Early medieval districts with the old and new courses of the Rhine: Pagi Rhenensis ex medio aevo Tabula & Chartisantiquis desumta, Pag. 294, Palatinate Academy of Sciences, Mannheim 1766
- Friedrich Wolfgang Karl von Thudichum : Papacy and Reformation in the Middle Ages 1143–1517 , 1903, p. 484
- The Regional Returning Officer RLP: Municipal Council Election 2019 Eich. Retrieved September 8, 2019 .
- The Regional Officer Rhineland-Palatinate: Municipal elections 2014, city and municipal council elections
- The Regional Returning Officer RLP: direct elections 2019. see Eich, Verbandsgemeinde, second line of results. Retrieved September 8, 2019 .
- Ökomenischer Kirchenchor ( Memento from October 11, 2014 in the Internet Archive )
- Music train of the fire brigade ( Memento from September 7, 2011 in the Internet Archive )
- Eich (Rheinhessen), Provinzialstr. around 1828
- Manfred Janß: No more motorcycle blessing in Eich - Off for the traditional event , Allgemeine-zeitung.de from February 19, 2014