River basin district
In Article 2 of the Directive, the term river basin district is defined as follows:
"[...] a land or marine area defined as the main unit for the management of catchment areas, which consists of one or more neighboring catchment areas and the groundwater and coastal waters assigned to them"
The river basin units are the common and national planning areas for the implementation of the WFD in which water management plans are drawn up.
- In the case of large river systems , the river basin district is the hydrological catchment area ( surface + groundwater bodies ) plus the coastal waters near the mouth .
- In coastal landscapes with many small river systems, the catchment areas of the sea tributaries of a coastal section and the coastal waters into which they flow can be combined into a river basin unit for administrative purposes or added to the river basin unit of the nearest river . A good example is the river basin district Schlei / Trave , named after a bay and the largest of the small rivers , which includes all the sea tributaries of the Schleswig-Holstein Baltic Sea coast and with the catchment area of the Stepenitz extends as far as Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania .
- Since the river basin districts were defined without taking national borders into account, there are national river basin districts if all the bodies of water concerned are assigned to one and the same nation state, and international river basin districts if several European nation states are affected. In this case, all planning must also take place in the context of the states concerned.
Germany comprises the following river basin districts:
- Danube river basin district
- Eider river basin district
- Elbe river basin district
- River basin district Ems
- Maas river basin district
- River Basin District Oder
- Rhine river basin district
- Schlei / Trave river basin district
- Warnow / Peene river basin district
- River Basin District Weser
Austria has a share in the river basin units (river catchment areas) Danube (80,593 km², 96% of the Austrian territory), Rhine (2.8%, in Vorarlberg) A6 and Elbe (1.1%, small area in the Mühlviertel and Waldviertel).
The river basin units (planning areas) of the National Water Management Plan (NPG) are:
|code||designation||includes the catchment areas of||international||over|
|DBJ||Danube to Jochenstein A1||Inn A1 (> 500 km²: in Tyrol Sanna , Ötztaler Ache , Sill , Ziller ;> 250 km²: downstream of the Bavarian part in Upper Austria Mattig , Antiesen ), with the Inn tributaries in Tyrol such as Großache and Salzach (with Saalach ) as well as Lech and Isar||Danube||over Germany resp. at the German border A1|
|DUJ||Danube below Jochenstein A1||Rivers directly to the Danube A2 (> 4000 km²: Traun with Ager , Alm ; Enns with Salza , Steyr ;> 500 km² to the Danube: Große Mühl , Innbach / Aschach , Aist , Ybbs , Erlauf , Pielach , Kamp , Traisen , Schwechat , Fischa , Russbach )||Danube||to Slovakia|
|MAR||March||March (with Zaya ), as well as Thaya A3 (over the Czech Republic,> 500 km²: Moravian Thaya , Pulkau )||Danube||on the Slovak border|
|LRR||Leitha, Raab, Rabnitz||Leitha ; A4 Rabnitz with Lake Neusiedl ; A5 Raab with Lafnitz / Feistritz , as well as Pinka , u. a.||Danube||all over Hungary|
|MUR||Mur||Mur (> 500 km²: Mürz , Kainach , Sulm )||Danube||across the Drau / Drava in Slovenia|
|DRA||Outside||Drau (> 500 km²: Isel , Möll , Lieser , Gail , Glan , Gurk , Lavant )||Danube||over Slovenia|
|RHI||Rhine||Rhine (with Ill ), Lake Constance tributaries (such as Bregenz Ache ) A6||Rhine||Swiss-German border in Lake Constance|
|ELB||Elbe||Lainsitz , Maltsch (<500 km²)||Elbe||via Moldau / Moldava in the Czech Republic|
- A2 March with the shares in the Czech Republic
The term “river basin district” is called District hydrographique in France .
|code||Short name||includes the catchment areas of||international|
|FRA||Scheldt - Somme||Scheldt , Somme and coastal rivers to the English Channel and North Sea||EU33|
|FRD||Rhône||Rhone and coastal rivers to the Mediterranean||EU35|
|FRF||Adour - Garonne||Adour , Garonne , Dordogne , Charente and coastal rivers of Nouvelle-Aquitaine|
|FRG||Loire - Brittany||Loire and the coastal rivers of the Vendée and Brittany departments|
|FRH||Seine - Normandy||Seine and the coastal rivers of Normandy||EU31|
|code||Short name||includes the catchment areas of||Area in km²|
|ITA||Eastern Alps||Adige , Upper Adriatic , Lemene , Fissero Tartaro Canalbianco and the regional catchment areas of Veneto and Friuli-Venezia Giulia as well as the catchment areas that flow into the Venetian lagoon||39,385|
|ITC||Northern Apennines||Arno , Magra , Serchio as well as all the catchment areas in Liguria and the catchment areas from Tuscany that flow into the Tyrrhenian Sea||24,300|
|ITE||Central Apennines||Tiber , Tronto , Sangro , Potenza , Chienti , Tenna and the catchment areas from the Lazio region that flow into the Tyrrhenian Sea as well as the catchment areas of much of the Abruzzo region and the southern Marches||36,500|
|ITF||Southern Apennines||Liri-Garigliano , Volturno , Sele , Sinni , Noce , Bradano and parts of the areas in the Abruzzo and Lazio regions as well as all other catchment areas from the Apulia , Basilicata , Calabria , Campania and Molise regions .||68,000|
|ITG||Sardinia||All catchment areas in Sardinia||24,000|
|ITH||Sicily||All catchment areas in Sicily||26,000|
- First report on the implementation of the EU Water Framework Directive. Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety, July 2007, accessed on June 18, 2004 (overview PDF documents).
- Les districts hydrographiques français (France)
- Environment Agency - Find out about your River Basin District (England and Wales)
- Scotland River Basin District
- Distretti Idrografici (Italy)
- Aplinkos apsaugos agentūra - Upių baseinų rajonai (Lithuania)
- Obszary dorzeczy - Planowanie - Ramowa Dyrektywa Wodna. Geoportal KZGW. Krajowy Zarząd Gospodarki Wodnej, accessed on June 21, 2016 (Polish). (Poland)
- Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety (Ed.): Map of the responsible authorities. In: Report of the Federal Republic of Germany. June 18, 2004, p. 2. bmu.de ( Memento of the original from December 7, 2008 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. (PDF file; 232 kB)
- Location and delimitation of groundwater bodies. (PDF) Work card, WFD working group “Groundwater” (status October 2002); Graphics: Umweltbundesamt GmbH, Vincze, October 2002, on behalf of the BMLFUW; Data source: Water quality survey in Austria, Federal Ministry f. Land, u. Forestry, environment and water management; Offices of the state governments
- water policy (PDF) of the European Parliament and of the Council of October 23, 2000 on the creation of a framework for Community measures in the field of
- River catchment area and river basin district , Lebensministerium.at → Water → A plan for our waters → Implementation of the Water Framework Directive .
- National Water Management Plan 2009 - NGP 2009 . BMLFUW-UW.4.1.2 / 0011-I / 4/2010, 1 General description of the characteristics of the river basin districts , p. 15 ff. ( PDF ( page no longer available , search in web archives ) Info: The link was automatically marked as defective . Please check the link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. , Lebensministerium.at)
- nomenclature at sandre.fr
- Le Unità di Gestione e le relative Autorità Competenti. In: Istituto Superiore per la Protezione e la Ricerca Ambientale - isprambiente.gov.it. Retrieved May 28, 2020 (Italian).
- Distretti Idrografici. In: Ministero dell'ambiente e della tutela del territorio e del mare - minambiente.it. Retrieved May 28, 2020 (Italian).