Matthias Brandt is the youngest son of the former German Chancellor Willy Brandt and his wife Rut . His brothers are the historian Peter Brandt and the writer and filmmaker Lars Brandt . His older half-sister Ninja (* 1940) comes from Willy Brandt's first marriage (1941–1948) with Carlota Thorkildsen.
Brandt studied acting at the Hanover University of Music and Drama . After his first engagement at the Oldenburg State Theater in 1985, he was a member of the ensembles of the following theaters: Staatstheater Wiesbaden , Nationaltheater Mannheim , Schauspiel Bonn , Bayerisches Staatsschauspiel , Renaissance-Theater Berlin , Schauspielhaus Zürich , Schauspielhaus Bochum and Schauspiel Frankfurt .
Since 2000, Brandt can also be seen regularly in television roles. In 2003 he played the role of Günter Guillaume in the television film Im Schatten der Macht , which describes the last days before Willy Brandt's resignation from the office of Federal Chancellor . In 2005 he played a less gifted father at Juliane Köhler's side in the TV film In Matters Kaminski . He has received several awards for his performance. Matthias Brandt also appears as a speaker for audio books, for example in the audio version of the novel Halbschatten by Uwe Timm . He was also heard as a narrator in the award-winning documentary Our Oceans .
In 2010, Brandt shot his first film as a Munich inspector in the crime series Polizeiruf 110, directed by Dominik Graf . Together with Anna Maria Sturm , he succeeded Jörg Hube and Stefanie Stappenbeck from 2011 . For his portrayal of Commissioner Hanns von Meuffels , he won the Bambi and in 2013 the Bavarian TV Prize for best male leading actor . In August 2018 it was announced that Verena Altenberger would succeed him in Police Call 110 in 2019 .
His first book was published in September 2016. It is titled Raumpatrouille and contains autobiographical stories from his childhood. His novel Blackbird followed in August 2019 .
Brandt is married and has a daughter.
- 2002: Fully Correct Boys (TV movie) - Director: Rolf Silber
- 2002: Big girls don't cry
- 2003: In the Shadow of Power (TV film) - Director: Oliver Storz
- 2004: Tatort: Die and Will (TV series) - Director: Claudia Garde
- 2004: The Sting of the Scorpion (TV film) - Director: Stephan Wagner
- 2004: Mr. and Mrs. Right (TV movie) - Director: Torsten C. Fischer
- 2005: Arnies Welt (TV film) - Director: Isabel Kleefeld
- 2005: In Matters Kaminski (TV film) - Director: Stephan Wagner
- 2005: The bodyguard
- 2005: Drei Schwestern made in Germany (TV film) - Director: Oliver Storz
- 2006: Leo (TV film) - Director: Vivian Naefe
- 2006: Vineta - Director: Franziska Stünkel
- 2006: The Dead on the Beach (TV movie) - Director: Martin Enlen
- 2006: Hannah
- 2007: Schimanski: Death in the Settlement (TV series) - Director: Torsten C. Fischer
- 2007: The woman at the end of the street (TV film) - Director: Claudia Garde
- 2007: Yesterday's Man (TV movie) - Director: Hannu Salonen
- 2007: Contergan (TV film) - Director: Adolf Winkelmann
- 2007: Opposite - Director: Jan Bonny
- 2007: Under different circumstances: Until death do you part
- 2008: Mortal Sin (TV film) - Director: Matti Geschonneck
- 2008: The Second Woman (TV film) - Director: Hans Steinbichler
- 2008: Night Shift - I'm Afraid (TV film) - Director: Lars Becker
- 2008: Tatort - Der tote Chinese (TV series) - Director: Hendrik Handloegten
- 2009: A Summer with Paul (TV film) - Director: Claudia Garde
- 2009: one man, one fjord! (TV movie) - Director: Angelo Colagrossi
- 2009: Die Wölfe (TV film) - Director: Friedemann Fromm
- 2009: Live Stream (TV film) - Director: Jens Wischnewski
- 2009: Kidnapped (TV film) - Director: Matti Geschonneck
- 2009: The Woman Who Disappeared in the Forest (TV movie) - Director: Oliver Storz
- 2010: The murderer's daughter
- 2010: Ken Follett's Ice Fever (TV movie) - directed by Peter Keglevic
- 2010: Tatort - Crash - Director: Torsten C. Fischer
- 2010: Death of a Schoolgirl (TV film) - Director: Mark Schlichter
- 2010: Schutzlos (TV film) - Director: René Heisig
- 2010: The Emperor's New Clothes (TV film) - Director: Hannu Salonen
- 2011: In the prime of life (TV film) - Director: Hartmut Schoen
- 2011: The Blue from Heaven - Director: Hans Steinbichler
- 2012: Glück - Director: Doris Dörrie
- 2012: The End of a Night (TV film) - Director: Matti Geschonneck
- 2012: Ruhm - Director: Isabel Kleefeld
- 2013: Four are one too many - Director: Torsten C. Fischer
- 2013: Friends betrayed - Director: Stefan Krohmer
- 2013: A Murderous Decision - Directed by Raymond Ley
- 2013: A Fateful Night - Director: Miguel Alexandre
- 2014: Männertreu - Director: Hermine Huntgeburth
- 2014: The Zeugenhaus - Director: Matti Geschonneck
- 2014: Der Tatortreiniger - Der Putzer - Director: Arne Feldhusen
- 2015: A great departure - Director: Matti Geschonneck
- 2016: Death sleeps softly (TV movie)
- 2016: Before Dawn - Director: Maria Schrader
- 2016: Rheingold ( experimental film ) - Director: Jan Bonny
- 2017: We kill Stella - Director: Julian Pölsler
- 2017: Babylon Berlin (TV series)
- 2018: Transit - Director: Christian Petzold
- 2018: Submission (TV film) - Director: Titus Selge
- 2018: Toulouse (TV movie) - Director: Michael Sturminger
- 2019: We would be other people (TV film) - Director: Jan Bonny
Police call 110
- 2011: Polizeiruf 110: Cassandra's warning - Director: Dominik Graf
- 2011: Polizeiruf 110: Because they don't know what they are doing - Director: Hans Steinbichler
- 2012: Polizeiruf 110: Schuld - Director: Hans Steinbichler
- 2012: Polizeiruf 110: Fieber - Director: Hendrik Handloegten
- 2013: Polizeiruf 110: Death makes angels out of us all - Director: Jan Bonny
- 2013: Polizeiruf 110: Kinderparadies - Director: Leander Haußmann
- 2014: Polizeiruf 110: Dawn - Director: Alexander Adolph
- 2014: Polizeiruf 110: Smoke on the Water - Director: Dominik Graf
- 2015: Polizeiruf 110: Kreise - Director: Christian Petzold
- 2016: Police call 110: And forgive us our guilt
- 2016: Police call 110: Wolves
- 2016: Police call 110: Wetlands
- 2017: Police call 110: night duty
- 2018: Police call 110: The specter of freedom
- 2018: Police call 110: crime scenes
- 2003: AL Kennedy : Day. The audio publishing house . ISBN 978-3-89813-700-3 .
- 2004: Geoff Dyer : But Beautiful: a book about jazz.
- 2006: Tom Wolfe : I'm Charlotte Simmons. The audio publishing house. ISBN 978-3-89813-511-5 .
- 2008: Ingo Schulze : Adam and Evelyn. The Hörverlag . ISBN 978-3-86717-364-3 .
- 2009: Rainer Moritz : We are the children of the economic miracle. The audio publishing house. ISBN 978-3-89813-882-6 .
- 2009: Åke Edwardson : Heaven on Earth Random House Audio . ISBN 978-3-8371-0091-4 .
- 2010: Robert Bloch : Psycho . The audio publishing house . ISBN 978-3-89813-975-5 .
- 2011: Arno Geiger : The old king in his exile. Audiobook Hamburg . ISBN 978-3-89903-036-5 .
- 2011: Ronald Reng : Robert Enke. Too short a life. Roof Music. ISBN 978-3-941168-63-3 .
- 2011: Annie Proulx : Ship Reports. Random House Audio. ISBN 978-3-8371-0881-1 .
- 2012: Thomas Wolfe : The Party at the Jacks. Jumbo New Media & Publishing. ISBN 978-3-8337-2906-5 .
- 2012: Oliver Storz : When we were gangsters. Audiobook Hamburg . ISBN 978-3-89903-337-3 .
- 2012: Erin Morgenstern : The Night Circus. Audiobook Hamburg . ISBN 978-3-89903-355-7 .
- 2012: Roger Willemsen : The tired luck , read by the author, Sofia Brandt and Matthias Brandt; with music by Ulrich Tukur . Tacheles Verlag, Bochum; 1 CD, 47 minutes.
- 2013: John le Carré : The Spy Who Came Out of the Cold. Audiobook Hamburg . ISBN 978-3-89903-582-7 .
- 2013: Aldous Huxley : Brave New World. The Hörverlag . ISBN 978-3-8445-1243-4 .
- 2013: Ferdinand von Schirach : Tabu. OSTERWOLD audio . ISBN 978-3-86952-176-3 .
- 2013: Thomas Mann : Death in Venice . The Hörverlag . ISBN 978-3844510744 .
- Space patrol. Stories , Kiepenheuer & Witsch, Cologne 2016, ISBN 978-3-462-04567-3 .
- Blackbird. Roman , Kiepenheuer & Witsch, Cologne 2019, ISBN 978-3-462-05313-5 .
- 2006: Bavarian TV Prize for Best Actor in the TV Drama category for In Matters Kaminski
- 2007: Adolf Grimme Prize for Arnies Welt , together with Caroline Peters and Jörg Schüttauf (presentation) and Isabel Kleefeld (script / director)
- 2008: German Critics' Prize for The Woman at the End of the Street , together with Maren Eggert
- 2008: Golden Camera in the Best German Actor category
- 2008: Nomination for the German Film Prize 2008 for Best Actor for Opposite
- 2009: Adolf Grimme Prize for The Second Woman , together with Maria Popistaşu (representation) and Hans Steinbichler (direction)
- 2010: German audio book award for Åke Edwardsons Heaven on Earth in the category The Special Audio Book / Best Crime
- 2011: Bambi for police call 110
- 2011: Special award at the Baden-Baden TV Film Festival for outstanding acting in Police Call 110: Because they don't know what they're doing
- 2012: Bavarian Television Award as Best Actor in the area series and series for Police 110: for they know not what they do
- 2012: Nomination for the German Television Award 2012 as Best Actor for Polizeiruf 110: Because they don't know what they are doing
- 2013: German television award for best actor in four television films: Polizeiruf 110: Death makes angels out of us all , Polizeiruf 110: Fever , A Murderous Decision and Friends Betrayed
- 2014: German audio book award for Brave New World by Aldous Huxley in the category The Special Audio Book / Best Science Fiction
- 2014: Grimme Prize for a murderous decision
- 2014: Hessian television award for his role in Männertreu
- 2015: Bavarian television award for best actor in the field of television films, series and series for the leading role in the film Männertreu .
- 2015: Hans Abich Prize at the Baden-Baden TV Film Festival
- 2017: " Prize for Acting Art 2017 " on August 31. at the 13th Festival of German Films in Ludwigshafen
- 2018: Hessian Film and Cinema Prize - Honorary Prize
- Germany, your artists - Matthias Brandt. Documentary, Germany, 2012, 45 min., Script and direction: Helge Trimpert and Inga Wolfram, production: SWR , first broadcast: July 25, 2012 in Das Erste , synopsis by ARD.
- Torsten Körner : The Willy Brandt family . S. Fischer, Frankfurt am Main 2013, ISBN 978-3-10-040407-7 .
- Literature by and about Matthias Brandt in the catalog of the German National Library
- Matthias Brandt in the Internet Movie Database (English)
- Matthias Brandt agency website at Die Agenten, accessed on July 31, 2020
- Matthias Brandt at filmportal.de (with photo gallery)
- Julia Jüttner: Actor Matthias Brandt: "I can't get an idiot standard on my car" , Spiegel Online , January 14, 2009
- Jan Friday: Matthias Brandt: The Minimal Artist , Frankfurter Rundschau , January 26, 2009
- Herlinde Koelbl : "We found a closeness that was different"; Matthias Brandt on his mother's dementia and how he learned to deal with it , Zeit Online , September 21, 2011
- Markus von Brauck, Alexander Kühn: Tragedy Accidentally , Spiegel Online , December 9, 2013
- Sandra Kegel : You can also change yourself , Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung , September 10, 2016
- Munzinger archive : Matthias Brandt, German theater and television actor (beginning of article) , accessed on January 21, 2011
- derStandard.at: Verena Altenberger replaces Matthias Brandt at "Polizeiruf 110" . Article dated August 12, 2018, accessed August 12, 2018.
- Kiepenheuer & Witsch, ISBN 978-3-462-04567-3
- FAZ.net September 6, 2016 / Julia Encke : My father just had a strange job (review)
- Kiepenheuer & Witsch, ISBN 978-3-462-05313-5
- Dorothea Grass: Matthias Brandt - Better late than never ( Memento from December 4, 2008 in the Internet Archive ), Arte Magazin , October 30, 2008
- Why actually "Smoke on the Water"? , FAZ review of October 20, 2014, accessed October 20, 2014
- Oliver Overhott: Matthias Brandt nominated for German Television Award , derwesten.de/ WAZ , September 18, 2012
- Hessian Film and Cinema Prize: Nominations 2018 . Article dated September 21, 2018, accessed September 23, 2018.
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Brandt, Matthias Frederik|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German theater and television actor and author|
|DATE OF BIRTH||October 7, 1961|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Berlin|