Cumberland County (Illinois)
The Cumberland Courthouse in Toledo, listed on NRHP No. 81000220
|US state :||Illinois|
|Administrative headquarters :||Toledo|
|Address of the
P.O. Box 146
Toledo, IL 62468
|Foundation :||March 2, 1843|
|Made up from:||Coles County|
|Area code :||001 217|
|Residents :||11,048 (2010)|
|Population density :||12.3 inhabitants / km 2|
|Total area :||899 km²|
|Water surface :||3 km²|
The Cumberland County is a county in the US -amerikanischen State Illinois . In 2010 , the county had 11,048 residents and a population density of 12.3 people per square kilometer. The county seat is Toledo . There are three public libraries and three daily newspapers in Cumberland County.
The county is located in southeast Illinois and is traversed by the Embarras River . It has an area of 899 km², of which 3 km² is water. The following neighboring counties border Cumberland County:
|Shelby County||Clark County|
|Effingham County||Jasper County|
Cumberland County was formed on March 2, 1843 from the southern part of Coles County. The county was named after the Cumberland Road , which then connected the Potomac River with the Mississippi River .
Due to the ever further division of the original counties, the area of the current county from 1809 to 1812 belonged to St. Clair County , 1812 to 1814 to Madison County , 1814 to 1817 to Edwards County , 1817 to 1819 to Crawford County and 1819 to 1830 to Clark County , from which Coles County was formed in 1830.
On November 5, 1885, the administration building burned down completely, and all books, records and documents were destroyed.
|Before 1900 1900–1990 2000 2010|
As of the 2010 census , Cumberland County had 11,048 people in 4,172 households. The population density was 12.3 people per square kilometer. Statistically, there were 2.65 people each in the 4,172 households.
The racial the population was composed of 98.0 percent white, 0.7 percent African American, 0.2 percent Native American, 0.3 percent Asian and other ethnic groups; 0.9 percent were descended from two or more races. Regardless of ethnicity, 9.0 percent of the population was Hispanic or Latino of any race.
23.4 percent of the population were under 18 years old, 59.7 percent were between 18 and 64 and 16.9 percent were 65 years or older. 50.1 percent of the population was female.
Towns in Cumberland County
Cumberland County is divided into eight townships :
|Crooked Creek Township||422||17-17640|
|Spring Point Township||1294||17-72143|
- Extract from the National Register of Historic Places . Retrieved March 13, 2011
- GNIS-ID: 424219. Retrieved on February 22, 2011 (English).
- U.S. Census Bureau, State & County QuickFacts - Cumberland County, IL Retrieved November 26, 2012
- National Association of Counties.Retrieved November 26, 2012
- US Census Bureau - Census of Population and Housing.Retrieved March 15, 2011
- Extract from Census.gov.Retrieved on February 14, 2011
- Missouri Census Data Center - Illinois ( page no longer available , search in web archives ) Info: The link was automatically marked as defective. Please check the link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. Retrieved November 26, 2012