|region||Pays de la Loire|
|Canton||Les Sables-d'Olonne (main town)|
|Community association||Les Sables-d'Olonne agglomeration|
|surface||85.66 km 2|
|Residents||44,017 (January 1, 2017)|
|Population density||514 inhabitants / km 2|
Port of Les Sables-d'Olonne
Les Sables-d'Olonne is a French port, fishing and bathing town with 44,017 inhabitants (as of January 1, 2017) in the Vendée department in the Pays de la Loire on the Atlantic. It can look back on hundreds of years of history. Les Sables d'Olonne is the start and finish of the toughest sailing race in the world, the Vendée Globe , which takes place every four years.
In summer the population increases many times over. French and English tourists in particular, but also some Germans and Dutch people come to France's second largest seaside resort.
On January 1, 2019, the neighboring municipalities of Olonne-sur-Mer and Château -d'Olonne were incorporated into Les Sables-d'Olonne, which more than tripled the population. The merged municipalities initially had the status of a commune déléguée , but this was withdrawn by a resolution of the municipal council on February 4, 2019.
|Area (km²)||Population (2016)|
|Les Sables-d'Olonne (administrative headquarters)||85194||8.83||14,233|
|1962||1968||1975||1982||1990||1999||2006 1||2008 2||2011 1||2013 2||2016 3|
coat of arms
Description: In blue, a white Maria on a white cloud with a white cherub head on each side, accompanied over a green wave crest in the base of the shield with a white three-masted square sail with two set white sails on two masts, a sail on the stern mast and mast flags.
- La Tour d'Arundel (La Chaume district)
- Yacht and fishing port
- Le Remblai (miles of beach promenade)
- La Rue de l'Enfer ("Street of Hell", the narrowest street in the world)
- L'Île Penotte (the shell road)
Les Sables d'Olonne maintains city partnerships with
- Schwabach in Middle Franconia , Germany, since 1975
- Murat in the Cantal department , France, since 1982
- Gourcy in the West African Republic of Burkina Faso (BF), since 1987
- Worthing in West Sussex, UK, since 1998
- A Laracha in Galicia , Spain, since 2010
- Hartwig Reimann (born September 18, 1938 in Riesenburg / West Prussia), German local politician and former Lord Mayor of Schwabach (until the end of April 2008).
sons and daughters of the town
- Anne Boileau (* 1975), tennis player
- Dominique Hé (* 1949), comic artist
- Bryan Nauleau (* 1988), cyclist
- François l'Olonnais (around 1635–1667), French pirate in the Caribbean
- Bernard Zacharias (* 1929), writer and jazz musician
- The novels Maigret is on vacation and The Son Cardinaud by Georges Simenon are set in Les Sables-d'Olonne.
- From 1951 to 1956 found two temporary street circuits around the Lac du Tanchet international motor sports events.
- The Vendée Globe single-handed sailing regatta begins and ends in Les Sables-d'Olonne.
- The one-handed sailing regatta Les Sables – Les Açores – Les Sables begins and ends in Les Sables-d'Olonne.
- The Musée de l'Abbaye Sainte-Croix shows works by the French painters Gaston Chaissac and Victor Brauner .
- On March 10, 2008, the container ship “Artemis” was about to enter the port of Sables-d'Olonne in the morning when the storm and current washed it onto the beach 500 meters south of the port. When the tide set in, the approximately 5000 ton ship was completely stuck on the sand. Numerous onlookers strolled around the 88 meter long colossus.
- Le Patrimoine des Communes de la Vendée. Flohic Editions, Volume 2, Paris 2001, ISBN 2-84234-118-X , pp. 939-952.
- Decree of the Prefecture No. 18-DRCTAJ / 2-494 on the formation of the Commune nouvelle Les Sables-d'Olonne of August 17, 2018.
- Press release from February 5, 2019.
- Population figures retrospectively from January 1, 2016
- Populations légales 2006 & 2011 & 2016
- Populations légales 2008 & 2013
- File of the Département Vendée - Census (Recensement de la population) 2016
- Des villages de Cassini aux communes d'aujourd'hui - Index par département
- Website of the city - Jumelages , accessed on November 25, 2019